Filling corrosion depressions around water jackets

les6, Sep 26, 9:12am
anyone had experience doing repairs to heads or blocks!is there a compound you could use for this purpose!

pollymay, Sep 26, 7:17pm
cast or alloy!

twink19, Sep 26, 8:12pm
yes, used a 2 pot epoxy on a 3l surf, worked well,

les6, Sep 27, 6:40am
the head is alloy,block is cast.Well i think it is(daihatsu charade)it looks like the surface of the block has dissolved away!car has always had antifreeze etc for the last 12 yrs that I know of,thanks for the replies,do you have the product name!

mechnificent, Sep 27, 11:40pm
There is nothing that can stand the temperature of the combustion flame. a block plane and then probably a steel shim under the head-gasket is the right way to fix it.

les6, Sep 28, 12:30am
its not in there is it!I would have thought water seepage would have been more of an issue!

mechnificent, Sep 28, 1:31am
I'm not there to look at the damage. but if the corrosion extends under the thin steel ring around the inside of the bore holes in the gasket, then yes the flame will be getting to it. If the seal between the steel ring in the gasket and the block is still good, perhaps you don't need to worry. where is the corrosion, does it go all the way to an oil-way, to an oil drain gallery, or into the cylinder. do you think the corrosion was or is going to be a problem!

There are a few two pot mixes that might be ok for just rebuilding corrosion, if you can clean the corrosion right back to clean metal, but cast iron doesn't like being ground at high speed, it draws carbon to the surface and leaves a poor bonding surface. most two pot mixes also soften before their quoted maximum temperature is reached too.

I have used two pot mixes to repair clean scratches in blocks, but never corrosion and never anywhere critical.

I suppose if you are doing the labour yourself, it might be worth a go.

les6, Sep 28, 7:47am
the compression ring is still intact and the `good` width is the same on all cylinders.There is a slight depresion spreading from the water hole.The other bit is a shallow valley between 2 water jackets.$30 for a head gasket,do it myself .so will see what happens,cheers