Mercedes Diesel motor conversion

corvettesummer1, Sep 26, 10:24am
Im wanting to transplant a 123 mercedes Diesel 300d into a 124 mercedes 300E petrol car this mercedes did come out with a 300d6 cylinder, can anybody give me any tips how to do it or know somebody who can help me do it thanks

a.woodrow, Sep 26, 10:29am
Is it really worth the costs of certification! and you'll have to start paying ruc's as well

franc123, Sep 26, 10:30am
OMG sounds like a good way to wreck a 300E. Why swap in one of those slow, smoky and rattly old things! They were ok if you were a taxi driver in 1977 but ghastly today, one of those in a heavy 124 would barely make the speed limit.It simply wouldn't be worth it by the time you shagged around with fitting the right trans and the electrics and certing it all. The petrol diff ratio would also probably not be appropriate either. Buy a factory diesel 124, presuming you could find one, or forget it would be my advice.

corvettesummer1, Sep 26, 10:44am
You guys dont know what your talking about these Diesel mercedes motors are bullt proof the only reason i want to put my 123 diesel in my 124 is my 123 body is to rusty plus these 300d motors will do 160 km a hour easy

franc123, Sep 26, 10:55am
Yep bullet proof in that they sound like a machine gun, and acceleration to the ton would be measured with an hourglass, maybe an egg timer if it was a 300TD. if it made it at all. It'd be a better idea to fix your 123 than go to the trouble of a dumb conversion like that.

serf407, Sep 26, 11:14am
If there is nothing wrong with the petrol w124 300 you leave it alone.
If the 124 has something wrong with engine/ trans you assess what the options/ cost to fix are.
You might find the right place at the wrong cost to do conversions such as this.
Chevy v8/ gm trans in Merc.
http://youtu.be/883b7A_yesE

intrade, Sep 26, 10:06pm
here is what to wotch out for when converting. all fuelhoses must be fully replaced with new ones the diesel also dont have a fuelpump in tank so you got to figure if that needs to be modified also. You also want to run wins-edt or flashlube or chemtech additive on the diesel fuel to prevent rubber seals from shrinking like the ones in the hand primer pump of the 123 diesel.thats the main stuff rest is what ever is needed for cert check if engine mounts need not to be modified otherwise you need a cert for that.

intrade, Sep 26, 10:09pm
and yes the 123 5pot diesel is one of the most bullet proof diesel of the old generation with enough power not ultra powerfull but enough. and they can take upgrades
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=24afjVqm2Uw
the merces mb140 vansalso run a clone of this engine my one is passed 400,000km

corvettesummer1, Sep 26, 10:09pm
you guys are all "Very Negative"i dont think you have ever driven a 123,, 300 diesel Mercedes let alone owned one they are Not a slag, Where are the other Mercedes guys! who are into these cars and have owned Turbo and non turbo diesel Mercedes, i want speak to them,

jmma, Sep 26, 10:13pm
In Germany !

intrade, Sep 26, 10:15pm
na some got banned from here like petebe_2 or twincam-1

thejazzpianoma, Sep 26, 10:22pm
Most of the European car enthusiasts just give up on this site or get banned. Its populated mostly with cheesy Japanese import car dealer types, who just want to slap each other on the back while they spread nonsense wives tales about cars they know nothing about.

I would suggest you try one of the excellent Mercedes forum's online. I seem to remember one site in particular being heavily biased to Diesel's of that era.

BTW, I have owned a W123 Diesel.

the-lada-dude, Sep 27, 1:38am
mmmm. w123 diesel,sounds just like a golf .lol

mrfxit, Sep 27, 2:47am
Drives like a Golf .

fiatracer, Sep 27, 2:52am
hello here I am. I've owned a W124 300E - that went well. I've driven all sorts of others from 1.9 to 6 litre [that went well too]. Have also driven a 5 cylinder W123 diesel, and.

sloooooooooooow.

sorry.

a.woodrow, Sep 27, 6:02am
Sorry, you should have just told us in your first post that you didn't want any advice, you just wanted us to agree with what you said

gammelvind, Sep 27, 8:10am
I have owned a number of 123 mercs both petrol and deisel. Never tried the petrol to deisel idea. Did convert a 250 sohc to the 280 dohc, fitting the engine in the hole was easy, a few hours and it was bolted in. Then the fun started, cables and linkages, wiring, radiator, fuel hose, exhurst, then the vacuums to the gearbox were different, the list went on and on. All this was before everthing needed certifying. Never again will I attempt it
, it looks simple but it requires far more patience than I am blessed with.

eagles9999, Sep 27, 8:17am
Thats not fair#1 wanted some advice on how to do it - not "how NOT to do it"Agreement ahd nothing to do with it

mantagsi, Sep 28, 9:05am
+1. If the OP doesn't know what to do, than they are in no position to tell everyone else that they don't know what they are talking about. Ah well, not my time or money thats gonna be wasted! Oh and yes I do like euro cars too FWIW, not totally brainwashed despite my Toyota driving evilness