Spotting classic cars in TV shows

Page 2 / 2
ema1, Oct 16, 10:42pm
Interesting on the Sky Channel CI 71 when showing actual modern Police footage in Britain etc just what cars the British cops use now, Subaru pursuit cars even Mitsubishi EVO's Volvo's BMW's Fords Vauxhall Carltons .you name it they use it.
Remember the Z Cars programs Mk3 Zephyrs and Zodiacs being thrashed around.
I recall Stratford Johns in the Softly Softlypolice program years ago driving a Rover 110 P5 shape, it was a spin off of Z Cars.
What about all the different cars the Brit cops use in "The Bill".

ema1, Oct 16, 10:49pm
Ford Transit vans got a lot of coverage too particularly in robbery "Tea Leaf" type stuff.

ema1, Oct 16, 10:56pm
Even the Beverly Hillbillies look at all the Chrysler Corp cars they used back in the 1960's. Some nice cars there too.
"Car 54 Where Are You" had lots of different cars from the 1950's and 1960's being used as patrol cars.
Remember the comedy program "Taxi" where the Checker Marathon taxi cabs were a feature.
Of course you can't forget the "Dukes Of Hazard" roaring around in a Dodge Charger and the cops seemed to have a never ending supply of Fords and GM cars to trash. Boss Hogg .what was his convertable car .Cadillac or Lincoln Continental I forget!

franc123, Oct 16, 11:50pm
Boss Hoggs car was a Caddy Eldorado, early/mid 70's, the police cars that Rosco and Enos used were IIRC mainly Plymouth Gran Furys.Daisy used a Jeep CJ7 Renegade! model that was called Dixie and Uncle Jesse used an early 70's Ford F100.You don't necessarily have to be looking at the screen for the classics to reveal themselves, I remember walking into our lounge once and an episode of McLeods Daughters happened to be on, I heard the unmistakeable cranking of a Hemi 6 engined Valiant which caught my attention immediately and sure enough it was!They sound like nothing else when being cranked over, its the same with the old SV Ford V8's.

ema1, Oct 17, 12:43am
Opps Rover 110 was a P4 .P5's were the 3 litre ones which I think Stratford Johns drove in later series of Softly Softly.
Actually Stratford Johns was in Z cars too.
What about all the old cars that were in the Dr Finlays Casebook and the Heartbeat series, with Morris 1000 woody wagon and Ford Anglia cop car for the local constabulary. Sometimes you'd see the "brass" arrive in MK3 Zephyrs or Zodiacs, I think the local Aidensfield cops were assigned a Ford Zephyr MK3 but the Sargent reckoned it was too much for the bobby's to handle I recall.
Often street scenes showed Austin A60's and Morris Oxfords, Wolseleys, RileysRovers etc even a couple of times I saw Ford Consul 315's feature in that program.
I really enjoyed watching those programs way back when they were on.
Plus the All Creatures Great & Small program where James Heriot drove a Morris 6 about 1937 model and Siegfried Farnon had a Rover pre war model I think it was. I don't know if Tristan Farnon had a car or not!

ema1, Oct 17, 1:02am
Recently a BBC program Britains Best Drives was on with Richard Wilson retracing the highways and byways of the British AA manuals of the 1950's covering various roads etc throughout the UK.
The actor Richard Wilson traveled all the roads in various 1950's cars as well, a very interesting travel program based on travel 50-60 years ago.
Check here
http://www.radiotimes.com/programme/kznrs/ok/episodeguide/series-1

ema1, Oct 17, 1:12am
The program Enemy At The Door set in the British Channel Islands Guernsey & Jersey etc had some interesting vehicles .a mix of the Island populations vehicles and Luftwaffe & Wehrmacht vehicles of the German occupying forces.
Good program it was too.

rsr72, Oct 17, 1:24am
The Cobra parked outside the hotel in last night's 'Diamonds are Forever'.

trogedon, Oct 17, 2:28am
My all time favourite comedy is Open All Hours. We??

ema1, Oct 17, 5:23am
Yes real good watching for sure G G G Granville, Ark Ark Arkwright and the saucy N Nurse Gladys Emanuel and theM M M M Morris M M M Minor trips. A real treat to watch those classics of British humor.
I reckon Ronnie Barker and David Jason are hard to beat, not to mention Ronnie Corbet

socram, Oct 17, 7:23am
Open All Hours was our all time favourite too.You don't need U Tube as the full set is on DVD.

What was the TV series before Ashes to Ashes! Something about Mars, set back in the 1970s.Lots of background stuff there too.

Oh and "Curse of the Were Rabbit" Wallace & Gromit's A35 van!

One that appeared briefly was the Austin Healey in "Home Improvements" plus of course his hot-rods.

rotormotor7, Oct 18, 3:58am
gold coloured s2 rx7 in 'knightrider'

its the episode where michael has amnesia and checks out of hospital and doesn't know who KITT is or even his own name.

irenew, Oct 18, 6:10am
Close to Home. Some guy working on a CB350 electrics!

taranaki63, Oct 18, 7:01am
running on empty
thats a good movie

rob_man, Oct 18, 7:52am
The Munsters, the family car and the dragster Herman built. Dragula.

rob_man, Oct 18, 8:02am

trogedon, Oct 18, 8:28am
The Monkeys - Pontiac.

nzfatie, Oct 18, 9:51am
Man, I had to laugh at the vehicles in that Billy T James TV movie the other week.He was shown driving a Mk3 Zephyr in 1974 - that's fine, but it had 1978 number plates on it.haha.
Hi died in 1991, but in the movie the Toyota Hi Ace that carried him away had 2000 number plates on it.WTF!
The props buyer for that movie obviously knows nothing about rego plate number sequences.busted.lol

tractor9, Oct 18, 5:50pm
The Professionals is always good for car perving - early shows had the lads driving Rovers and Triumphs and later in old Fords of various types. Cowley had a beautiful piece of British engineering and design, an Austin Princess.

tractor9, Oct 18, 5:52pm
I always thought that Lady Penelope's Rolls was interesting.

trogedon, Oct 18, 7:24pm
I did keep my racing bike in my bedroom when I was young.but I don't actually live ON one!

socram, Jan 4, 1:56am
Just watched another "George Gently".Now bear in mind the first series was set in 1964 and they have also shown 1966, the one we watched last night was back to 1964.Sidekick was skint and running a 1964 MGB (ie brand new) yet was trying to advertise it at 100GBP, (I'll ignore the cracks from the anti Pom brigade) which was a ridiculous price for that day and age.This time, George was running a Rover P5B (V8) on 1963 plates, so there is a bit of confusion here as to why he would revert to an older P6 six cylinder for 1966!
One or two police Humbers and Rover 2000s and in the dark with lights on, what was obviously a Wolseley!