Spotting classic cars in TV shows

Page 1 / 2
socram, Oct 13, 3:50am
We have been watching "George Gently" set in the North East of England in 1964. (UK TV). As well as George's nice Rover 2000 on wire wheels and his side-kick's 1964 MGB, spotting cars in the background is fun.The same black MG Magnette has been in three of the last 4 episodes!

lookoutas, Oct 13, 4:21am
x1
Like the VW in the Bullitt chase.

whqqsh, Oct 13, 4:38am
the missus was watching Angel Heart the other day & commented on all the old cars & reckoned she saw a few Jailbar Deliveries. but then since we got ours every delivery she sees is a Jailbar lol

whqqsh, Oct 13, 4:40am
BTW we were contacted about the '58 Goliath we bought recently (& copped a bit of crap for when mentioned on here) & has been booked in for a local film at the end of the year

socram, Oct 15, 10:04am
Newer George Gently (supposedly set in 1966 - ie later) has George now in a P5 Rover 3 litre that appears to be older than the previous P6 Rover!His sidekick is driving a 1966 Ford Corsair.Wouldn't have thought that a married sergeant would have been able to afford a brand new car.

Nice mint Mk 3 Zodiac in the latest episode.

trogedon, Oct 15, 9:58pm
The '58 would be a cool 'uncool' car.
Having not lived in a place with a TV since '86 I'm unlikely to see any classic (or any) cars.

saki, Oct 16, 2:49am
The world has gome a long way since 86 trogedon, tvs dont emit killer rays or give you square eyes anymore.

purple666, Oct 16, 2:53am
They still turn your mind to mush
Chewing gum for the brain

saki, Oct 16, 2:54am
I must have been pretty good before I got my first tv in 88

trogedon, Oct 16, 2:56am
Correct, hence saki's spelling!

whqqsh, Oct 16, 3:11am
would have been almost ready but the painter rang up in a mad panic & wanted be to come over asap, the raspberry red we ordered had ended up a mid-light red with a pinkish tinge. back to the supplier first thing Monday :(

saki, Oct 16, 3:12am
The spelling is a learned thing from this board and too much coal smoke.

trogedon, Oct 16, 4:55am
I can imagine "pinkish tinge" isn't your first choice! Post some photos if you can - It would be nice to see one again.

ema1, Oct 16, 10:31am
1957 Mercedes Benz Ponton 220S or Roundie in James Bond 007 "Dr No" and 1964 Mercedes Benz 220SEb Heckflosse or Fintail in one or two other James Bond moviesI forget which ones.Also seen some 4 cylinder 190/200 Mercedes Benz Heckflosse in various other movies.
Mostly driven by "baddies" !
How about George Simenon's Maigret ( TV series in the 1960's) the french police driving Traction Avant Citroen's like racing cars around those tight Parisian streets.

nathanmac, Oct 16, 10:33am
The 57 chev convertible in dr no is one of my earliest memories of a classic car in a movie

ema1, Oct 16, 10:35am
Minder Terry McCann drove a MK3 Ford Capri, one of Arfur's ( Arthur Daley's ) cars . How about The Sweeney those guys raced about in Ford Granada's as in the big boss Haskins and The Gov Jack Reagan & George drove Jaguar Mk2's and Ford Granada's, the lesser guys in the Sweeney drove Ford Cortina's and the Met cops in 2 door Austin/Morris 1300 Panda cars.Loved watching those British TV shows back then.

ema1, Oct 16, 10:51am
Remember the Ford Galaxie Squire Ranch Waggon in Goldfinger that ended up getting crushed. How about the 1937 Rolls Royce Phantom 111 V12 Sedanca DeVille that Auric Goldfinger had driven by the Korean body guard Oddjob!
The movie The Sound Of Music had the Von Trapp family owning a 1938 Mercedes Benz 540K Cabriolet 'B' and the nuns at the abbey had a Citroen Traction Avant, the German Gaulieter and his henchmen were in several Horch and Adler cars I think they also had an Auto Union and Maybach cars there as well.

ema1, Oct 16, 11:09am
Heck I remember those old 1920's and 1930's cars in the Untouchables Elliot Ness and all the baddies like Frank Netti etc roaring around the cities with Thompson sub machine guns blazing away.
How about Bonnie & Clyde and the various cars they stole including the one they got shot up in a 1934 Ford V8 sedan.
Clyde Barrow even had the cheek to write a letter to Henry Ford congratulating him on what a fine car the Ford V8 cars were "in his line of work!"
That same letter still exists today as does the Bonny & Clyde"death car" the 1934 Ford V8 riddled with bullet holes from BAR guns (Browning Automatic Rifles.)the Feds used on them.
Check it out here.
http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/12/what-dandy-car-you-make.html http://texashideout.tripod.com/warrencar.html

big.b-lil.c, Oct 16, 4:51pm
who could forget the professionals. fords fords fords

geedubu, Oct 16, 8:00pm
In the James Bond books (not the movies)007 drove a Bentley Continetal R with supercharger painted flat grey (upmarket ratrod!)His CIA friend Felix(!) drove a Studebaker with a hot Cadillac V8 engine.Ian Fleming must have been a car nut, he desribed them in so much detail you could just about build one from the info in the book.

lookoutas, Oct 16, 8:16pm
Those links chewed up a bit of time ema.

socram, Oct 16, 8:38pm
You can also add Stephen Fry driving an Alvis convertible in Kingdom; Who can forget Bergerac's Triumph!;Lovejoy's Morris Minor (the later one sounded as though it had been tweaked); InspectorMorse and the Jaguar; the Avengers - Emma Peel's Lotus Elan, the Jag on steroids ( I think Steed drove a Vintage Bentley in the early episodes!).

In recent editions of Midsomer murders, there have been TVRs, AC Cobra Replicas, even a C type Jag replica.New Tricks had a rare Ginetta central to one story and Waterman drives a Triumph Stag.

The Saint not only had Simon Templar's Volvo but even had him racing in a Formula 1 race at Brands Hatch against Graham Hill and Jim Clark!

Some of the TV might be rubbish Trog, but for keen car spotters, there is plenty of interest in the fiction area.

Incidentally, have you noticed just how many UK series had a Saab as the means of transport for leading characters!"New Tricks", "Pie in the Sky", "Between the Lines" etc.

geedubu, Oct 16, 10:10pm
Inspector Lynley (on Prime & UKTV) drives a really nice Bristol 410, one for my dream garage

ema1, Oct 16, 10:31pm
Interesting though.

ema1, Oct 16, 10:38pm
Only Fools & Horses, how about the Reliant Robin 3 wheeler that the Trotters had. I reckon that program was a beaut, with Derek "Del Boy" & Rodney "Rodders" Grandad & Uncle Albert plus the various girl friends!
Their mate Boycee reckoned the Reliant wasn't a car "'cause it's only got 3 wheels". Top stuff.