Fixing a fault in car, whens the best time to have

gunhand, Oct 4, 8:29am
It looked at.
Say your driving along and something very minor happens but dosnt happen again, well not for a while anyway. You think, could this be the start of somethng serious! Should I get the mechanic to look at it ASAP.
Problem is I think is that intermitent faults that never show up while mechanic has car will be attemted to be solved by guess work resulting in expensive bills but no fix. Should you pay if they replace 4 items at a guess to a problem and it wasnt it at all!
Modern cars with all there computers and things are a minefield of faults waiting to happen Im sure. Do diagnostic machines reallly work that well!
Should a person wait till a fault is there all the time and therefore should not be hard to sort out or worse car stops KMs from nowhere.
Lest with a 202 HQ there were about 3 thing that could go wrong and most mechanics new which end to start at.

skin1235, Oct 4, 8:32am
biggest issue is describing what the fault was correctly, and concisely
it may be a known issue and easily fixed, but vague directives and equally vague symptoms will definitely get your 4 items changed at your cost

202's, lol

um cam stripped her gears, guarantee

gunhand, Oct 4, 8:38am
Actually Im a fan of taking cars to there dealership for odd faults as alot of the time the fault has been dealt with before, had a problem years back that mu regular mechanic told me to replace expensive fuel pump, didnt fix problem. Took it to dealership and explained in great detail what was going on, fixed in 20mins and $50. They had seen it many time before.

intrade, Oct 4, 8:52am

gunhand, Oct 4, 9:07am
I like this idea, anyone have these in NZ yet!

llortmt, Oct 4, 9:35am
Yes been around for a few years now, several different makes available.