Why is my Legacy overheating on the open road

kaituna, Oct 2, 12:04am
but only after being driven longer than 45 minutes! No air locks and the coolant levels are always up to the mark! The electric fans work as well.
Any ideas! Could it be the timing belt slipping on the water pump pully!

curlcrown, Oct 2, 12:07am
thermostat. Check that first.

motorboy2011, Oct 2, 12:14am
or water pump itself

kcf, Oct 2, 1:26am
or you have a partially blocked radiator.

jenny188, Oct 2, 2:00am
or its just getting up in age and k's and tired. Takes a while for terminal heat build up. Or any of the above

saki, Oct 2, 3:52am
If it isnt a turbo car it could have a blocked heater core try driving with the heater on full see if it's working.

kaituna, Oct 2, 4:44am
Thanks all for the advice. I will have the radiator cleaned and replace the water pump, thermostat and timing belts etc. It is due soon anyway :)

a.woodrow, Oct 2, 4:44am
Blown head gasket

mjbee., Oct 2, 5:31am
my guess to or a cracked head

raymond00001, Oct 2, 5:50am
Coolant dilution level might be wrong. Had same with truck engine where had been topped up too often with just water, diluting the coolant mix over time. Would show normal temp on flats but quickley get too hot on even a short climb, fixed with fresh mix of proper coolant and water ratio.

motorboy2011, Oct 2, 6:00am
! Straight water has a better cooling efficiency than water and anti freeze/boil. Anti freeze lowers waters freezing point and raises its boiling point, but actually lowers its heat transfer efficiency.

zephyrheaven, Oct 2, 6:02am
Seen a few with impellor failure on the waterpump - how is your heater!

kaituna, Oct 2, 10:10am
The heater works very well. I turn it on to full 32 degrees and full fan for a few kilometers to bring the temp down on long trips. I am going to cook in summer doing that!

splinter67, Oct 2, 6:32pm
Take your radiator out and get it rodded before you cook it and make sure you bleed the air out of it when you put it back in

aredwood, Oct 3, 11:08am
Or a partially blocked heater core. Water always flows through the heater core, even on full cold. If it blocks up the thermostat wont open fully.

tootsie9, Oct 4, 3:52am
Check your bottom radiator hose hasn't collapsed with the heat

outbidyou2, Oct 4, 4:51am
nah