Which wagon .

Page 2 / 3
rovercitroen, Oct 2, 9:16pm
2002 to 2007 Nissan Stagea

sarahb5, Oct 2, 9:32pm
Nah - too old and fugly .

sarahb5, Oct 2, 9:40pm
When we were looking for a smaller wagon the Nissan Wingroad was in the running but now that it's our bigger car we're having to replace rather than the Golf we do need something bigger - similar size to the Diamante we have loved and are replacing.

motorboy2011, Oct 2, 10:00pm
not many Diamante sized wagons around. You want a good looking, reliable, large and economical wagon. Id say at best, pick 2 of those things, you wont find one with all.

sarahb5, Oct 2, 10:04pm
Volvo
Passat
Outback
Mazda 6

Criteria are:

2004 or newer
Up to $15,000
2.5 litre+ engine
Less than 25,000 kms per year average
Roof bars
Not too fugly
Leather seats would be a bonus too

scoobeey, Oct 2, 10:17pm
I would go the mazda 6 NICE CAR:)))))

motorboy2011, Oct 2, 10:39pm
id say the 6 too

smac, Oct 2, 11:19pm
I drove a few 6's when we were looking (2008-2012). I had high hopes, but they bored me. Low spec level (not even a trip computer), tinny, fiddly steering wheel buttons that will break in 5 mins and I think the look will date fast. All depends what you're after I guess.

doug207, Oct 2, 11:23pm
Don't go very well either.
I'd be tempted by a VW, they do tend to perform a bit better.

sarahb5, Oct 3, 12:53am
But parts are expensive around here - we already have a Golf (fairly old, kids' car) although I must admit the Passat does look nice and has a bit more of a solid feel than others we've looked at

00quattro00, Oct 3, 1:05am
What year golf! Are you buying them from the stealer!

sarahb5, Oct 3, 1:13am
Why!Bought off a dealer - it had been traded - cheap first car for our son and for our daughter to drive when home from uni

whqqsh, Oct 3, 1:15am
to fit surfboards Id go 'coon (or Dunnydore) & if you think theyre thirsty remember you mentioned Subaru & Mitsi

sarahb5, Oct 3, 1:17am
Huh!Surfboards go on the roof

bignzer1, Oct 3, 2:06am
Honda Accord would be my pick. I own a 2004 Honda Accord S/W and love it one of the best cars I have ever owned. Being Honda parts are easy to find and cheap to buy. Very Reliable and nice to drive. Will be buying a newer model in the future.

doug207, Oct 3, 2:25am
Buy your parts elsewhere, most "normal" European cars are cheap to get parts for.
www.pelicanparts.com is a start, there are many dedicated VW parts sites out there and Jazz has mentioned a few NZ people bringing in parts.
I bring in parts for BMWs quite often, and all my bikes (which are Japanese) and I save a massive amount over what Repco or the dealer will charge.
Service prices for most brands in this country are massively inflated

sarahb5, Oct 3, 2:29am
We looked at Honda too - discounted because no roof bars

sarahb5, Oct 3, 2:31am
Thanks - of course until I started this thread I hadn't seen Jazz's suggestions about parts

thejazzpianoma, Oct 3, 2:56am
Just a tip for you Sarahb5,
With newer cars like you are looking at CC rating is not the useful guide to performance it once was, likewise it won't give you much of a comparative gauge to economy between makes. We now have 1.2 litre cars that perform like 2.0 cars did just a few years ago (in the same size/weight body). The tricky part is not all manufacturers have this small engine big output technology so its hard to get any sort of comparative idea at all from the cc rating between manufacturers.

Then you also have to consider drivetrain technology, the likes of VW's DSG loses no power/economy getting the power from the engine to the wheels. While some other vehicles which still use traditional automatics lose around 30% of their power/economy while accelerating to the inefficient torque converter in the transmission. This makes a huge difference to performance.

If you want a useful guide to performance on paper, probably the easiest gauge is to look up the cars 0-100 time. I would suggest from your description and experience that you go for cars with 0 -100 times of under 10 seconds to start with. If you drive some close to 10 second cars and find them too slow drop it back to 9 and then 8, you should quickly get a fee for what you want that way. When you dealing with sub 10 second cars 1 second should be quite noticeable.

Obviously actually driving the vehicles is the best thing but the 0-100 times will give you a good rule of thumb.

I would suggest if you can to drive the Passat in these three forms if possible the 2.0 Diesel the 2.0 Petrol and the 2.5 Petrol.

The 2.0 Petrol and Diesel are very similar in performance, if you find that isn't enough for your tastes the 2.0 Turbo has quite a lot more go again. The 2.0 Turbo is the same motor used in the Golf GTI and is no slouch, its really good on fuel though which is a significant bonus.

There is a larger 3.2 Passat option as well, but given what you have been driving it may be more power than you require. It is actually very good on fuel for the size/output of the engine but realistically the 2.0 Turbo should have ample power for your purpose (if not the regular 2.0 or Diesel) and be cheaper to run again.

Just don't be tempted by the 1.9 DIesels, its only 100cc difference but the output is significantly lower due to how the engine is setup.

Hope that helps.

doug207, Oct 3, 2:57am
It's always worth knowing these little things, make owning a decent car worth while

whqqsh, Oct 3, 2:59am
why a wagon then! surfboards will go on the roof of a mini in that case

sarahb5, Oct 3, 3:03am
No they won't - Mr 17 also has a paddleboard (surf life saving) which is 10' 6" long - and with 3 surfers in the family that means 3 lots of gear in the boot.We need the space in the boot for trips away which are frequent over summer, often with 3 adult-sized kids in the back.

sarahb5, Oct 3, 3:05am
Thanks - current car is pretty grunty even for it's age - it's the Executive, not sure but I think that's V6 and high spec for it's age too.It's hubby that isn't keen on smaller engine size.

smac, Oct 3, 3:06am
Hey Jazz, you ever get my email!

With regard to 0-100 times as a measure. I'd be inclined to use 50-100 or something like that as a real world measure. Also keeping in mind the noise and revs the car pulls to do it. It's all very well having a car that can go fast, but if all the power is from 5-7k revs it doesn't make for a nice road car.

whqqsh, Oct 3, 3:09am
the whole story is always helpful (sorry if youve mentioned before & Ihavent read the whole thread), still think a 'coon would be better especially as youve got lots of gear. We wouldnt be without a full size car these days, makes going away sooo much less stressful not cramming stuff in.