1992 Nissan Safari - failed on WOF

jills3, Oct 2, 3:54am
Failed on - Oil coming in the hand brake system.Hand brake lever travel high.The WOF guys quoted $150.00 is this agood price,thanks alot.

msigg, Oct 2, 3:57am
Well can't get much done for $150. The Hand brake on those is just a parking brake. Must never be tested on the rollers, hope they didn't do that.

andy61, Oct 2, 4:04am
I would hope theres no oil coming in or out of brake system. Should only have brake fliud in the brake system.

tnt423, Oct 2, 4:38am
I guess a seal has gone on the back of the transfer case cos there is no oil or brake fluid on the hand brake.

jills3, Oct 2, 4:48am
Thanks for replies guys.

msigg, Oct 2, 4:56am
Its got nothing to do with brake fluid its cable., There may be a seep out of the back of the box as suggested. Not a biggie.

steve98h, Oct 2, 5:32am
they have a cardon shaft brake. sounds like you need a new oil seasl in the transfer case and new brake linnings. $150 is a good price

mm12345, Oct 2, 5:44am
Yeah not a biggie.
Although Nissan charges about $100 for the OEM seal, and you'll need a set of brake shoes as the old ones will be oil-soaked (Do NOT get these from Nissan, supercheap or BNT will get you shoes from the same maker as OEM for about $35 (these also fit some hino trucks etc).Up to you whether you go for an OEM seal or not.
Do not even THINK about not replacing the shoes.On my Safari, the first hint of an issue I had was that the glue holding the linings on the shoes dissolved, and the linings slid completely off the shoes when I put the handbrake on when stopped on an uphill gradient.Not a nice feeling when it takes off full speed reverse when you're half way out the door.There was no significant oil dropping from the drum, just a tiny bit over many years stuffed the brakes, and it had probably passed 20 WOF checks while in that condition.
But chances are that your local garage isn't going to be able to get the nut off holding the companion shaft on the output shaft to get at the seal.My local garage couldn't budge it with rattle guns, with 1/2" drive sockets -etc just forgetaboutit.I borrowed a local 4WD workshop for a case of beer, using a 1" thick long crowbar jammed between the studs on the companion shaft and the chassis, and a 2 metre extension on a breaker bar, we finally got it, but the crowbar bent so much that the paint flaked off it and fell to the ground. When the nut finally moved, I think I needed a change of daks. Think your worst nightmare axle nut on a 50 year old car, double it, then double it again because access is such a PITA.
If someone reckons they're going to do this for $150, get it in writing.

raymond00001, Oct 2, 5:47am
Any more info on that! VTNZ wrote down on one warrant that handbrake needed adjusting. Took it to my mechanic to service that before next warrant and they said nothing wrong with it. Said testing stations often ping people for that just because they have a number on the roller machine to read out.

mm12345, Oct 2, 5:52am
I've never had a WOF checker try to test the service brake on my Safari on the rollers.They must school them up on this.

pauldw, Oct 2, 6:10am
Assume it's same as heavy vehicles
"Cardan shaft park brakes must not be tested on a RBM. To test a cardan shaft park brake, where the brake is mounted on the transmission, the park brake must be tested using the ???stall test??

msigg, Oct 2, 6:45am
Yea i see a local guy for my warrants, if they test it on a roller you can damage some of you running gear, because you are locking up the drive shaft. Always tell them first not to test the parking brake on the roller, if they don't now this then talk to the manager.

jills3, Oct 2, 7:05am
Very interesting replies,thanks so much.I will print this off and take it with me when I go for the repairs tomorrow.