Air compressors for painting cars?

Page 1 / 3
lisa.leann, Sep 29, 6:42am
what the minimum spac i would need for paint cars!

intrade, Sep 29, 6:44am
its not only that for actual painting any compressor will do the problem is moisture the compressor makes. Plus in this cold weather you cant paint no cars.

raymond00001, Sep 29, 6:47am
I painted a truck fine few weeks ago at 65psi. it was only 1/24 scale though LOL. If your not sure of the pressure perhaps read a few books on it first or google. Spray a test panel first to get technique right, get an old door or bonnet from wreckers etc. Painting is not as easy as it looks.

gunhand, Sep 29, 6:50am
Yea, not alot true in that statement.If you want to paint a car (properly) you need at least a 10 or 12 cfm compressor. Now if you want to take 2 days to paint a car smaller will work but all the waiting for it catch up will drive you nuts and result in dry crappy paint work so yea I guss any compressor will do but in reality NO. As for painting in cold weather, well all you need is patients and the correct paint system for cold weather. But not knowing what you painting, what your painting it in (paint wise) and if you have a big enough garage its hard to give advice.
And there is some very cheap and effective ways of removing moisture form you lines. You need a compressor that will keep your gun at about 30psi all the time.

attitudedesignz, Sep 29, 6:55am
Aint that the truth mate. Just shake my head sometimes lol.

gunhand, Sep 29, 6:58am
Hows the no painting going!Miss the smell LOL, actaully its bloody surprising how smelly it is when you have been away from it for a while then go back.

jason18, Sep 29, 7:04am
WTF you on! My brother paints all year round!. Think about what you are posting before you post it. Especially if you have no idea what you are talking about!

intrade, Sep 29, 7:18am
your brother is a professonal painter right!

jason18, Sep 29, 7:19am
He is a painter yes.

franc123, Sep 29, 7:26am
I've painted several vehicles using a 2hp compressor that delivers 8cfm, with its own 50L receiver, and an old 80L CNG tank hooked up to the main tank. The pump had to work fairly hard but it kept up ok, never ran out of air.Its really the minimum setup you need though.

gammelvind, Sep 29, 7:27am
Rubbish, I sell auto paint full time and not all my clients have heated paint booths. Moisture is removed with water traps, and using the right paint plus picking your timing you can paint cars any time of the year.
OP the advice given by attitudedesign and gunhand is on the money, sadly intrade while enthusiastic is often misguided.

intrade, Sep 29, 7:28am
yea and poster 1 is notit be to hard to explain but my post is correct as i assume poster 1 is not a professional painter.And i know you cant paint in 99% humidity and thats what it is outside in winter . where poster like number 1 is likely ending up painting.You need to think outside the square to make sense of what i write . Not everyone has a special garage fitted to be a spray-boothand you cant paint in a closed garage you wont be able to see nor breathe within 1 minute.i also specifically only mentioned painting not airsander and all other tools you most likely will end up needing. so tryed to explain my first post a bit.

attitudedesignz, Sep 29, 7:40am
Probably best not to ask mate LOL.

NZTools, Sep 29, 7:40am
you may get 99% humidity up in Aucks, but the rest of the country doesnt suffer from that. Down here, about 30% is the norm.

intrade, Sep 29, 7:42am
attitudedesignz i seen my mate having problems in whangarei its a lot mor humid here you got dry air and i seen the paint blume when it was moist , he said it was the problem. no problem when it was nice and dry , so i figured he was right as i seen itwith my own eyes. was laquer paint he usedno 2 pot.

gunhand, Sep 29, 7:44am
I should post a pic of my garage I use at home, make attitudes look like a top line booth LOL. However at work I use a nice warm large booth. But Istill paint at home at times. You just have to know what to do. And that comes with time and experince. And OPs actuall question was what size would he need. So any other answer apart from that is not relevant from any of us really. He didnt mention air tools at all either. He may have perfectly good electric ones.
So to answer properly. A supercheap $100 compressor will not paint your car effectively. A 10 to 12cfm will.If your ever buying a compressor go for the biggest you can. You will never regret it. So unless your painting toy cars you need a biggish one. And also saying joining two tanks etc is better, well its only better till the motor kicks in then it works just as hard no matter how big the tank is, its about how fast it can pump the tank up not its size.

gunhand, Sep 29, 7:45am
LOL, ok I wont.

attitudedesignz, Sep 29, 7:50am
I live on a mountain in Taranaki and 11 months of the year it rains and the humidity does not go below 75% EVER.

gunhand, Sep 29, 7:53am
Are you depressed 11 months of the year!Nice view though.I really hate sweating while its raining LOL

attitudedesignz, Sep 29, 7:57am
Nah mate, living out here makes up for it beleive me. I hate sweating full stop LOL, i nearly died when i lived in QLD for 7 years.

trader_84, Sep 29, 7:58am
Whats happened to the 'hose the drive' and into it!

gunhand, Sep 29, 7:59am
Yea looks like a pretty nice place to me. Beats being a towny for sure.

gunhand, Sep 29, 8:01am
I had a guy paint a car in a barn complete with hay for me many years back. Good as if not better than some done done in a 60k booth.

jason18, Sep 29, 8:01am
Seems like he needs to learn how to paint and get it right before carrying on

petermcg, Sep 29, 8:31am
Hey man tell me if you are using enamel or laquer and do you want a $200 job or $2000 job and I might be able to help. I have been spray painting cars for 45 years.