What is the max width of a caravan in nz

Page 1 / 2
flagheaven, Sep 30, 1:31am
for our roads. cheers in advance

_peas, Sep 30, 1:48am
0mm sounds about good to me.Sorry totally unhelpful but I get tired of getting stuck behind caravans come long weekends.

therafter1, Sep 30, 1:52am

flagheaven, Sep 30, 2:10am
LOL .15 minutes searching on there and still none the wiser - will phone them as no one seems to know on here or is it a TOP secret !

tnt423, Sep 30, 2:17am
I think it is 2.5m

fertman, Sep 30, 2:39am
Light simple trailer dimension limits
Maximum width
The maximum width for a light simple trailer (including its load) is 2.5 metres (excluding side marker lights and direction indicators and the bulge towards the bottom of the tyre). An additional 25mm is allowed on each side of the vehicle for ropes, lashings, straps, chains, connectors and tensioning devices that are neither permanently nor rigidly fixed to the vehicle; or J-hooks (to secure stock crates or bins).

skin1235, Sep 30, 2:53am
this sheet is the one that rules for domestic caravans

as flagheaven says , 2.5mt
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsheets/13d/trailers-light-simple.html

flagheaven, Sep 30, 3:12am
THANKS GUYS !

franc123, Sep 30, 5:23am
In the same way that caravan towers get tired of impatient and inconsiderate dicks that think its their right to be getting to their destination quicker than everyone else!And that its fine to pull out in front of a car and van and make them lock up all the brakes and alter the colour of their underwear, all because I didn't want to get stuck behind them! Anyway the std width of NZ built vans is 2.4m.

woody1946, Sep 30, 6:09am
I say 8 ft which is 2440mm in new talk

bashfulbro, Sep 30, 6:18am
It is, 2.5 metres.

monaro17, Sep 30, 6:28am
yep 8ft

gammelvind, Sep 30, 6:32am
Haha, new talk, we changed to metrics in 1972!So by that logic a new car would be a MK 4 cortina, 2012 cars must be totally futuristic.

rob_man, Sep 30, 7:24am
Yesssssss. that's exactly right and houses have an eight foot stud.

supernova2, Sep 30, 7:28am
No matter what the legal max (2.5M) it, in my experiences, is always 100mm wider than the available gap!

gammelvind, Sep 30, 7:34am
Too true many of the old ones did.
Funny how most in the building industry converted to metrics many years ago, but have noticed that many in the motoring side, and not talking about those dealing with american cars, still hang on to imperial measurements. E.g go and get the 4 inch grinder, despite that it only has 100mm on it and the discs the same.

lookoutas, Sep 30, 7:37am
Some of us are smart enough to understand both.

mercbens, Sep 30, 7:43am
This is what happens if they are too wide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=q-jxHAeO0oI

gammelvind, Sep 30, 7:51am
That was such a laugh, yep 100mm to wide.

ml6989, Sep 30, 8:52am
Maybe if you are going away for the long weekend, you should get moving a bit earlier then you would be in front of all the caravans. Watch for cyclists though, I guess that as you think you own the road they too will be an annoyance for you.

monaro17, Sep 30, 10:06am
I tow a caravan and do not muck around at all. However I love it how some people believe I will be slow, it's especially fun when you get to a passing lane going up hill and there is that one car that tries to get past but can't because although you are towing you are still doing 90 at the top of the climb meanwhile they are gradually getting slower and slower.

sr2, Sep 30, 10:32am
Brilliant!

thewomble1, Sep 30, 11:52am
And we put 30lb's air in the tyres.
And people still put a pint of oil in their cars.

pge, Sep 30, 8:36pm
And, we still have 13", 14", 16" etc. wheelrims.

supernova2, Sep 30, 8:39pm
True but what do they have in Europe - i only ask as some Renault and Jags used metric sizes and i was told once that Viva's used a metric (almost) equivalent of an imperial rim which made them pigs to seat the tyre.