Mitsubishi Chariot hesitation - help needed

smudge75, Oct 8, 1:19am
Any ideas on why our car would start hesitating when cruising at approx 2300 revs! No hesitation when accelerating. Its a 1998 2.4 auto. Any help would be greatful.

gman35, Oct 8, 2:12am
The one we had about 3yrs ago did the same thing around the same 2200-2300 mark , I think it may poss have been an "air-mix sensor" thing , but sorry cannot remember exactly if this was the diagnosis. Would say most garages would have worked on one and will know. (In fact everyone on this board will tell you Mitsi's spend enough time in the workshop).

a.woodrow, Oct 8, 4:30am
GDI! set fire to it and claim insurance

franc123, Oct 8, 4:56am
If its got Guaranteed Dollar Injection could be one of a number of things, throttle body issues were a constant headache on those old ones. The above suggestion is certainly worth considering.

n3d4sp3d, Oct 8, 5:21am
possibly high pressure pump or buckt filter, may also be electronic throttle valve but usuallu when they play up you get no power and usually won't rev past 2000rpm. best fix is as mentioned above burn it and claim insurance

smudge75, Oct 8, 5:56am
Thanks for your help.any volunteers for the above solution! A definite money pitt for sure! Can you tell me more about this Bucket Filter!

a.woodrow, Oct 8, 6:59am
I think he meant blocked filter

n3d4sp3d, Oct 8, 7:13am
x1
there are about 3 bucket filters in the high pressure pump, the main 1 is in the inlet line. the filter is on small and can easily clog up with small particles that have got through the inline fuel filter. if the filter is clogged you won't get enough fuel pressure to enable the engine to rev being GDI it requires fuel pressure greater than 4.7mpa to run. the bucket filter is cheaper to replace than the hp pump

ceebee2, Oct 8, 7:25am
Sounds like it's running too lean or faulty spark plug.

Post #8 OP says it does rev out / accelerate OK.

yogibearz, Oct 8, 7:25am
Have you got it booked in yet n3d4sp3d. ! Check its taillights they may look like a VE falcodore

smudge75, Oct 8, 7:43am
Thanks for your input n3d4sp3d - you seem like you know what your talking about. So if we were to check out the filters is it easy to ourselves or does it require a mechanic (bearing in mind that after owning this car for some time, we have leanrt how to fix many a problem ourselves to help keep cost down). Any hints or tips!

stepman69, Oct 8, 9:28am
What octane of fuel are you using (91, 95, or 98)!

smudge75, Oct 8, 7:04pm

yogibearz, Oct 8, 7:44pm
The bucket filter in the high pressure pump is in the body of the pump at the end of the fuel inlet pipe. The fitting of the fuel line to the pump is visible at the back of the pump and is bolted to the body of the pump with two bolts. The cost of the filter is approx $10.I wouldnt recommend trying to do this at home. Its not a big job for the dealer and they have tools to do it. The dealer could and should also check the fuel pressure before and after replacing the filter which will give an indication of the fault being improved or not.

splinter67, Oct 10, 4:27am
Its a chariot there's your problem

yogibearz, Oct 10, 4:52am
Start with the fuel pressure and the bucket filter.Thats the basics and when you know what the fuel pressure reading is you wil have some idea where your going.

humblebeginings@, Oct 31, 7:42am
Wow, i also have a problem with my chariot, you stat of with power on the engine, of couse the fuel from the exost smells funny dont know what that is, after a good run the car loses power like there is little or no gus and the just stops. after a while you start the engine and off you go. then it stalls again you wait and off you go.

Please help give guidance, coz am going crazy, i miss my toyota premio.

Please help

jack_wgtn_nz, May 2, 10:53am
my 1998 n84 chariot 2.4gdi would die when i try to rev engine and check light came on problem was filter on fuel inlet to engine was blocked so took screw off tail light and took inlet fuel pipe off engine and screw the screw inside hole on engine and wiggle the filter out of hole you need a mirror to see clean with fuel then blow bucket filter with air car goes good again