Hilux lift. I have a 1998 solid front double cab and i am wanting to lift by about 3 inches use is mostly on road but get away f

josephbudd, Oct 8, 3:27am
I have a 1998 solid front double cab and I am wanting to lift by about 3 inches.
Use is mostly on road but get away for rec 4x4 when I can and so want a setup that suits this. I am wanting do it right and with a good quality all round products.
Any information on suppliers in Christchurch or websites that are good to purchase from and what brands are good quality.
Thanks

pico42, Oct 8, 3:55am
Spend some time browsing offroadexpress.co.nz - there is a sizeable contingent with Toyota's there.

saki, Oct 8, 4:10am
try trade me tamaman2

trader_84, Oct 8, 4:31am
There are 4 U Bolts that hold the front axle to the front leafs . 2 for each side. OEM Toyota feature round shank/bodies. Make sure as part of your package you get 1 x flat shank/body one. This will be used in the r/h side -rear position on the front axle. The reason why will become apparent when you see how close the ball joint on the end of your steering arm comes to it when lifted. Don't (under any circumstance) do the bogan method of using an angle grinder to modify your OEM round ones. To get it up like what you want it to be up like and for your intended use - in my humble opinion - I'd fork out and get it all by suspension and tire - not body lift. It cost more doing it this way but its the preferred method and the resale value remains. I'm not up to play on the cert side of things re lifts. I've got a couple of them (luxy's) and one of them is up there but has never been certed and flies through the PN WOF ssssssystem that exists just out of town in the smaller rural type garages. I don't take mine to VTNZ for the simple reason they might unload a whole lot of BS onto me due to it being up in the air. Never had a problem yet though. This is a good mix . Dakar Springs, Nitrocharger shocks, Old Man Emu steering damper, bushes, U Bolt and greasable shackles, Solid axle trucks 'track'. Any more than 8" rims and you'll have bad tracking. Even 8's track. The most effective thing you can spend money on is a decent steering damper. Is you a hunter!

tnt423, Oct 8, 5:07am
I've found 4wdbits.co.nz good to deal with or could go to Autolign, if you want it supplied and installed you could got to 4wd ACC or Toms Offroad and Custom.

josephbudd, Oct 10, 4:11am
Thanks for all toe hints and ideas=) not a hunter just like getting a bit further in the outdoors. will do some searching tonight.

the-lada-dude, Oct 10, 4:47am
[quote=trader_84Is you a hunter![/quote]
i think thats a bit of a long shottrader 84lol

splinter67, Oct 10, 4:58am
Whats wrong with the tried and trusted bogan method hell now you've got a flash lathe you've forgotten your roots yipee kai aye

zephyrheaven, Oct 10, 5:03am
Whatever you do - dont use a local supplier to make lifted springs even when one of the 4wd shops tell you they dont use them - but they will supply 'new springs' that are made by the local supplier minus stickers, been there done that - took them out 3 times (at my own cost) before they were still rock hard & useless offroad.
Toms offroad & customs in Waipara would be my first call - seeing his workmanship he knows how to make em handle & flex too

splinter67, Oct 10, 7:42pm
Chur youll be flash in your little shed now you can watch shorty street without going inside lol

tim41, Oct 10, 10:08pm
whats the point of lifting the body when the diffs stay the same height,just asking

steve312, Oct 10, 10:47pm
You have to do a body lift on Hiluxs if you are using any tyres bigger than 32" otherwise the tyres catch on the guards etc.Normally a 50mm lift is enough to get clearance.

mrfxit, Oct 11, 2:00am
AArrhhh barr humbug. mines gone from 29's to 31's & it's still got heaps of clearance.

If it's a problem just get the ol hammer out

zephyrheaven, Oct 11, 5:00am
I ran 35's no body lift - 4" spring lift