Why dont cars have accurate fuel gages?

dr.doolittle, Oct 19, 11:09pm
I would have to say that every car I've ever owned gets good mileage, or should I say "Distance" for the first 1/2 of the tank. Then it seems to suck gas like there's no tomorrow.
Why did manufacturers set the gages up like this do you think!

Wouldnt it be nice if 1/2 a tank was actually 1/2.

vtecintegra, Oct 19, 11:13pm
Some of them do - my current car is almost dead on.

Almost all newer cars have distance to empty readouts anyway which are usually pretty consistent.

mike77, Oct 19, 11:14pm
Concur

socram, Oct 19, 11:17pm
Depends on the shape of the tank.Agree, that they may need to recalibrate the gauge according to tank shape.
My project car has a tank that is much larger at the bottom than the top, so when the tank reads 1/4 full, it wil be more than a quarter, but the first quarter will disappear more quickly.

Given the weight of 60 litres of fuel, the reality is that you are probably using less fuel for the last quarter than the first quarter.

Distance readouts for usage are subject to the same problems as a gauge.

vtecintegra, Oct 19, 11:41pm
They usually put more effort into making them at least somewhat accurate though.

rob_man, Oct 19, 11:45pm
True, the computer relies on the gauge. It doesn't watch you put gas in the car and see how much the pump reads.

morrisjvan, Oct 20, 12:27am
the float in your tank will show ''full'' when tank is full but if you continue to fill you have all that extra fuel in the filler neck and above the float that has to be used before the float can actually ''float'' on the surface, thats why you get more out of your first 1/4 tank .

socram, Oct 20, 12:47am
Another good point.Which why when you pick up a rental car, you'll probably find the fuel gauge shows full - but you could get another ten litres in it!You never let them fill it for you after you have returned it either.

johnf_456, Oct 20, 1:17am
Correct

bill-robinson, Oct 20, 1:30am
yourcar probably has a trip meter, just zero that when you fill the tank and you can check it as often as you like. Also usefull for working out the MPH.

lyonruge, Oct 20, 1:41am
So, a better way to do it would be a sender unit using weight as the reference. 60lt tank, 60 lt of fuel would weigh approx 60kg, then the remaining fuel could be worked out from there.

morrisman1, Oct 20, 2:41am
specific gravity of fuel is approx 0.72kg per litre. That system would probably work but I would imagine it would take up more space than what a fuel tank would normally, due to its need to be unaffected by other items

dr.doolittle, Oct 20, 2:47am
Thanks morrisjvan, that probably explains it. It's just bothered me that with all the new &old bangers I've had they all do the same. You can drive forever while the gas needle s-o-w-l-y goes down to the 1/2 way mark, then races to the bottom.
No wonder I've got my old mans habit of not letting the tank go much below 1/2.

saki, Jan 6, 2:54pm
In some cars the fuel tank is over the drive shaft (IRS cars) more fuel in the top part of the tank.