AU falcon idle problem

lusty9, Oct 19, 7:29am
I recently changed the battery and my car now has idle problems when it is in drive and no pressure is on the throttle. Any ideas why!

unbeatabull, Oct 19, 7:45am
Could be a number of things, I doubt related to the battery.

Common things on them are leads, plugs, coil/s, Dirty Throttle body and IACV, faulty IACV, base idle needing resetting, intake manifold gasket.

kingfisher21, Oct 19, 7:46am
x1
Yup, you need to do an idle relearn or just put up with it for a few days, idle relearn procedure here,

To clear KAM (Keep Alive Memory), remove fuse #20 for at least 1 minute. No need to disconnect battery for 1 hour.

PCM Relearn Procedure
If the Battery is disconnected or a Component is replaced;
The Keep Alive Memory will lose its information and require PCM Relearn.

1. Run engine to normal operating temperature.
2. Allow engine to idle (Don't touch the throttle).
3. Run for 2 minutes in Drive with Air Conditioner ON.
4. Run for 2 minutes in Drive with Air Conditioner OFF.
5. Run for 2 minutes in Neutral with Air Conditioning ON.
6. Run for 2 minutes in Neutral with Air Conditioning OFF.
7. Road test for at least 5 minutes at various speeds.
(Ensure vehicle is operated in each gear position, including Reverse gear).

lusty9, Oct 19, 7:52am
Ok thank you, I will try tomorrow. Its been good up until the battery died last week and we put another one in, if it is in neutral it is fine, put it in gear and brake without touching throttle and it wants to stall then revs up and idles again. first time I've experienced this with the car.

kiwirod, Oct 20, 1:46am
Did that once with my XR8 after putting in a new battery. Such a bizarre procedurebut noticed the shift was alot crisper after.

franc123, Oct 20, 2:31am
It needs to be emphasized that the engine needs to be fully up to temp before attempting the above, lazy thermostats that don't allow full warmup are common on AU's and stop it from working. As a rough guide after a good drive of at least 10 mins or so if the gauge needle doesn't point to the letter O in the word NORMAL it should be replaced. Dud thermostats also play havoc with fuel economy too.

lusty9, Oct 20, 6:36am
Thanks for the reply, the thermostats ok it reads fine but I haven't done the procedure yet probably tomorrow.

unbeatabull, Oct 20, 6:50am
The o! isn't that kinda past halfway!

Every AU we work on operates at just below half. Faulty thermostat and it will barely even reach the writing.

franc123, Oct 20, 6:59am
On EF/EL yes, O is well over half, on AU its about a third. Remember the needle swing is different between the models. You're right in that if the thermostats are crook they barely get up into the main segment of the gauge.

lusty9, Oct 20, 7:04am
I've had the car since new and it never goes past the N, I've never seen it on O but did as what Kingfisher said and took it to the gas station to fill up and it stalled at the lights, it has half a tank of gas btw so I restarted and have brought it home, the mechanic can have a look at it next week. First time since new it has stalled!

franc123, Oct 20, 7:22am
The relearn definitely doesn't work if they aren't hot enough, I can remember having a very stubborn Futura in the shop once that was doing exactly what yours is doing. In the finish I disconnected the radiator fans and held it at about 2000rpm until the temp gauge got up to about a third, attempted the idle relearn and it worked. And plugged the fans back in of course. The other thing that may not be helping is if the throttle body and/or idle control valve is getting a bit dirty, and if the switch that senses the load in the power steer system isn't working properly. If you idle it in park and swing the steering wheel rapidly from side to side and watch the tacho closely you should see the rpm trying to ramp up ever so slightly, if it doesn't the switch needs testing.

lusty9, Oct 20, 7:27am
thank you, I'll just wait till next week and take it to the mechanic. I've had it since new its probably due for a good looking at even though it get regular services. It's done 42,829k's now so best to have it looked at.

lusty9, Oct 20, 8:00am
Yay my son sorted it out, he disconnected the battery for about 20mins then reconnected it and its running fine. Until I get to the lights! hehehe