I though cash was legal tender?

Page 1 / 2
tgray, Oct 11, 9:24pm
Just had a few days in Rotorua and coming back, stopped at Matamata for petrol.
Wanted $50 gas and was told "sorry, we don't accept cash. Payment only byEFTPOS or Credit Card.

jayjay54, Oct 11, 9:26pm
unbelievable. hope you had a tank full before they said that

tgray, Oct 11, 9:35pm
I separate personal and business expenses, so didn't want charge it, since the gas was personal use.
Paid cash for Motel, Restaurants, all activities no problem. The petrol was a surprise I must say.
Ok, no big deal, so don't all start giving me a hard time!

chebry, Oct 11, 9:38pm
Offer cash if they are stupid enough to refuse legal payment just a polite thanx and drive away.

tatts2, Oct 11, 10:55pm
Yea after you have just filled up.

elect70, Oct 11, 11:02pm
Shows theintelligence ofgas station employees these days . Do they get them straight off the plane when it arrives from asia .!

saxman99, Oct 11, 11:16pm
Perhaps they are sick of being robbed!

rob_man, Oct 11, 11:21pm
How the hell are drug dealers supposed to buy petrol!

thewomble1, Oct 12, 1:32am
Were the pumps on prepay otherwise could be embarrassing if you have no cards!

purple666, Oct 12, 1:37am
Which gas station! What time of day! I live in Matamata and often pay cash without a problem.

bit, Oct 12, 1:41am
Hopefully not a sign of the times but I fear it is. Probably because of what robman and saxman said.

bitsy_boffin, Oct 12, 2:48am
Cash is legal tender, but they don't have to sell to you.

If you'd already put the petrol in, they would be required to take the payment.

hutchk, Oct 12, 2:56am
Because, of course, the employees set the policies regarding methods of payment accepted by the business.

rsr72, Oct 12, 2:58am
How many white faces own gas stations these days!
They're the new dairys.

purple666, Oct 12, 4:52am
All white down here I can tell you.

gammelvind, Oct 12, 6:46am
We are part of Australasia!
Frankly comments like this just shows ignorance.

raymond00001, Oct 12, 7:16am
Yes right on there. If someone refuses cash for a debt then the debt obligation is cancelled. For example if they dont have enough change for say $17 petrol and you still offer them the $20 and they dont take it, then they cant chase you for it afterwards.
What shop was this, name and shame, prob just some braindead teenage attendant.

n1smo_gtir, Oct 12, 8:31am
only Asians that owned petrol station gt lucky with $10m from Westpac n took off back to china But returned to enjoy more confined accommodation.

tgray, Oct 12, 8:31am
It was just before Matamata.
Said 'Gas stop' on the sign. "Gas stop services ltd!' something like that.
Was pre pay only unfortunately but I was on empty, so had to use them.

scuba, Oct 12, 8:40am
so they should take it and keep the change then . if you put the petrol in and leave without paying it is theft.

ferntown, Oct 12, 9:38pm
Filled up with gas at the service station the other day, paid by EFTPOS then as I was leaving thought I might treat my work mates to a few sweets.
I grabbed around 9 bux worth went back to the counter and proceeded to lay out a few loose coins in my wallet 4-5 one dollar coins the rest 50c and a few 20cent coins.
The guy behind the counter said he would need to charge me for handling the coin, I just looked at him, kept arranging the coins in dollar piles, grabbed the goods and left.
Still not sure wether he was for real.

sabbath-black, Oct 12, 9:56pm
no this shows your ignorance

purple666, Oct 12, 10:10pm
Ahh I know the place,it's out in the country by the Tirau turn-off. Little independent place,knew it wouldn't have been in Matamata itself,have never used that place so I can't comment but being the sort of person I am I could well go out there and have a go at making them take cash just for a laugh.

raymond00001, Oct 13, 12:22am
Not theft if you have offered legal tender or promised to pay as it is then a civil matter and not a criminal offence.

supernova2, Oct 15, 11:40am
There is (or was) a limit on how much coin is legal tender.Would have to look it up but sure its more than $10.Over the limit its perfectly legal to refuse to accept coins.Just another NZ stupid sill law.