Isuzu MU.1996 3.1 ltre.fuel consumption.

Page 1 / 2
morab, Oct 9, 6:42pm
I only get 8 km to the litre of diesel.I've had it 3 years and it has always been the same,maybe a bit more on a trip.Change air filter regularly.turbo OK,have disconnected the exhaust emission pots on the manifold 3 months ago as it was blowing back soot into the engine well.any suggestions.

chebry, Oct 9, 6:52pm
Your getting 36 mpg out of it and you expect more, aint gunna happen too much weight and the aerodynamics of a block of flats are against you to begin with, an efficient intake and exhaust may help but great economy is beyond this thing

hi-ling, Oct 9, 7:02pm
Auto or manual. I've had 3 manual 3.1s and they've all averaged about 9.5-10 km/l, but I had 1 auto and it was a bit less around 8-8.5 km/l The 3.1 is not the most economical engine out there, but they can be improved, both performance and economy wise. First thing to do is block of all EGr valves, fit a full 3 inch exhaust with a straight thru muffler, right from the turbo back. Fit a bighorn intercooler and then turn your fuelling up, between 1/4 and 1/2 turn. You can also increase your boost pressure to just under 11 ponds boost. What you'll have then is a diesel that wil pull like a group of schoolboys but you economy will go up, My last 1 I was running 15 lb boost and all the other mods and manual, and on a trip up the island, could get 12-12.5 km/l and even towing a tandem axle trailer with a 88 Camaro from ChCh to invers, I was still getting around 8;5-9 km/l

hi-ling, Oct 9, 7:04pm
8 kms per litre isnt 36 mpg, its 22.7 and thats low/\.

chebry, Oct 9, 7:08pm
oops my bad vs a petrol version its ok but yeah nah

morab, Oct 9, 7:33pm
thanks.you beat me to it.
my MU is an Automatic.

splinter67, Oct 9, 7:48pm
When did you last change your diesel filter

intrade, Oct 9, 7:55pm
you should have added flashlube or winns edt to your fuel. you probably now have a well rooted injector pump with premature worn injectors. You can still go to partsmaster and buy 1 liter flashlube . Also your intake will need to come off amd the EGR cleaned and deleted . if it dont smokes like sometimes gray and sometimesblack for longer then you got a chance of saving your fuelinjection system from total destruction.

morab, Oct 9, 8:31pm
fuel filter changed 10k ago.EGR was blocked/disconnected 3 months ago.always black never grey.exhaust.
so what is Flashlube gonna do for it!

geminidragon, Oct 9, 8:55pm
i use the wynns edt on my 3.1

intrade, Oct 9, 8:58pm
its going to swell the selas back up prevent them from going brittle and brings back the lubrication in to the diesel that is missing in ulsd-fuel
there is noumerous threads on here about this and i told people since ages about this problem, its to do with how they remove the sulfur from diesel the more sulfur the more hydrogen is used , making that particular batch of fuel even less lubricating.the injection system relies on lubrication and if it dont gets it it will start wearing out change timing or even seeze up completely there are no seals on the high pressure pump side its just the precition madeparts that are sealing them self and if you know mechanics then you know what these parts will do with insufficient lubrication. flashlube winns edt and chemtech also prevent water bonding to uls fuel as that is a further problem of the new fuel. chemtech is only a lube and dont claims to prevent seal shrinkage and i know flashlube works if its not to late as you cant fix damage you can only prevent it.

splinter67, Oct 9, 9:03pm
Change your filter I used to change deisel filter every time I changed the oil airfilter and oil filter every second oil change never added anything to my diesel never had seal problems

splinter67, Oct 9, 9:16pm
x1
Do you sell this stuff

intrade, Oct 9, 9:18pm
no i dont i fix diesel engines for a living so i know what i talk about usually for commonrails i would fit dlc injector nozzle they can resist ulsd fuel for longer without premature wear.

chebry, Oct 9, 9:40pm
I dont see this stuff being put in trucks so how much use is it, a seal kit is no big deal to fit to older diesels and newer models are designed for ULSD fuel but hey thanx for the snake oil pitch

scoobeey, Oct 9, 11:52pm
NO snake oil :) I use flashlube and pump never been looked at! .Mates wagon had a small leak and it actually slowed it down :)))

splinter67, Oct 9, 11:59pm
And what do you drive did you have a problem to start using flashlube

geminidragon, Oct 10, 9:30am
i use 50 mls of wynns edt to 75 litres of diesel ,can i double it to 100mlsintrade or leave it like that ,i know it cleans the injectors

next-to-normal, Oct 12, 1:30am
motor up, helps

intrade, Oct 12, 1:38am
no it wont motorup goes in the engine oil and dont helps lubricating the diesel injection system

mram, Oct 12, 11:52pm
The 3.1 can be a thirsty dog if not in a good state of tune, I had a bighorn that, even if driven sedately only would return 14-15l per 100km, and it didnt seem to blow excessive smoke, I don't know where it went!

geminidragon, Oct 13, 1:31am
i average 650 kms to 75 litres of diesel in my 3.1

scoobeey, Oct 14, 10:23pm
YES i did have a problem .!Major sulphur levels robbed from fuel which NO LONGER lubricated seals .:)

splinter67, Oct 14, 10:47pm
So what was your problem ! and what are you putting it in

Was it leaking and did it work

scoobeey, Oct 15, 3:44am
no problem at all just didnt want a herendous bill like many hundreds of others did due to pump seal failures