RUC. Looking at buying a diesel that is deregistered and has been used on a private road its done 150000km over its ruc will the

00quattro00, Oct 14, 2:10am
Looking at buying a diesel that is deregistered and has been used on a private road, its done 150,000km over its ruc, will they need to be caught up even tho its been dereg and used on a private rd!

msigg, Oct 14, 2:43am
When you re-register it should start from scratch again, the previous owner should be liable,if any, private road is exempt but I don't think for a second that those kms are all done on a private road. If I were you I would contact land transport and confirm what the procedure is. Cheers. Good luck. Of coarse if there have been no WOF and any other records then check car jam for the last entry and turn the speedo back to that.

splinter67, Oct 14, 2:57am
Because you are re vinning its starts as a new car got to be a cheapy.Iit can be expensive to revin get the wrong inspector on a bad day and you know what happens $$$$$$

intrade, Oct 14, 3:08am
yes but i wonder how they managed to derego it without paying the ruc. i was thinking they would demand the payment when you deregister it the same as you also get credit payd back when you derego a car. and how the hell have they managed to clock 150,000km overdue when i got a letter 1 week after i got a wof for my hilux that i was overdue and it was not my miles purchased it from a auction.

intrade, Oct 14, 3:17am
What do you want to use it for! your post 1 is not quite clear.

00quattro00, Oct 14, 3:19am
I want to re register it to use on the rd, but if I have to pay the outstanding ruc its 4x as much as the car is worth

intrade, Oct 14, 3:23am
yea no good for reregistering you will have to pay the outstanding ruc. Do you know the numberplate it had fitted!

mudguts2, Oct 14, 3:28am
And its the buyer that is responsible for catching up on RUC.
I would just ditch the whole idea not really worth the hassle.

00quattro00, Oct 14, 3:51am
Will call nzta in the morning and find out

daryl14, Oct 14, 4:10am
Why would you have to pay the RUC on the k's it's done off road whilst de-registered! You shouldn't have to. as in I'm pretty sure you shouldn't have to.

The NZTA will have a record of the k's when deregistered so You won't have to pay from then till now. If they try to say yes, fight it. I fought it when they tried to make me pay for 13 years of previous owners Ruc. And I won.

chebry, Oct 14, 5:17am
For one thing off road kms are ruc exempt (dont you people do the adult reading comprehension thing!) and as a new registration and vin the counter resets to zero.

daryl14, Oct 14, 6:48am
Well Yes, That's what I was trying to say.

chebry, Oct 14, 6:56am
You crack me up is there anything you haven't got wrong recently.Seriously you need to try doing something theres lots of good free information out there and you desperately need some.

smac, Oct 14, 8:23am
Until it has been proven the k's were off road the RUC is due. It will need to be paid, or the debt cleared (by applying for off road refund) before the vehicle can be registered. I think the chances of getting the off road approved after the fact will not be great. You'd definitely want the previous owner to provide proof it's sorted before buying. Abusing somebody giving correct info, telling them they're wrong, with no evidence, says more about you than them. .

chebry, Oct 14, 8:34am
It is the sellers responsibility if any for the unpaid RUC but since it was deregistered how could they be on road kms( reading comprehension adult level), are you tradeins other identity the lack of thought proccess suggests it

cowlover, Oct 14, 12:17pm
Dereg why and when!Could have been runing about for years with no RUC before dereg for non renewal of licence.Could have been running about for years unrego.I know of a local car that is used every day which hasn't had a rego or wof for 8 years.As its not a fresh import the revin will NOT set the RUC record to zero but will require the 150000km paid.On the face of it IMHO Run Forrest RUN!

Also chebry suggest you read the RUC rules - its NOT the sellers responsibility its the person who wants to buy some more who has to pay from the last RUC licence to the new figure.Quite possibly the new owner could mount a civial claim agains the old owner - good luck getting anywhere soon with that.

chebry, Oct 14, 6:31pm
MMMMMreading comprhension much The buyer takes responsibility from when the vehicle is registered in their name.What the vehicle has done between manufacture and now is nothing to do with the new owner.