Fine details of the road code

Page 1 / 2
steelman3, Oct 1, 6:33am
Turning left at an uncontrolled intersection
You are turning left, so you must give way to vehicles coming towards you and turning right.
Note: be aware of the traffic behind you. If you were in the blue car, vehicles travelling behind you may affect whether the truck can turn or not.

quite a few don't get this one I'm turning left your turning right but i don't have to give way to you because you still have to give way to the traffic behind me that's going straight through.

andrea_w, Oct 1, 6:53am
I'd hardly call it a 'fine detail' of the road code. it's more a bunch of morons on the road that don't understand the rules (just like the many other rules so many seem unable to follow). Very few actually look in their mirror to check for traffic coming up behind them.

That law is being changed anyway. I don't know how the majority will get on, they struggle enough with the current road rules as it is

steelman3, Oct 1, 7:13am
yeah i just posted that after some lunatic came surging round in front of me to teach me a lesson for not giving way. Then when i'm turning right some left turning fools giving way when there's a great queue of straight though traffic behind them. So I figure quite a few don't know this one.

weaver2010, Oct 1, 10:12am
Its simple they do not check the mirrors!

I have lost count the amount of vehicles I have driven that are not my own that the mirrors are so badly adjusted you can tell the drivers never use them.

edit:- typo correction for the spell nazis

crzyhrse, Oct 1, 10:23am
Not really a fine detail and a sad reflection on the total lack of driver training in this country.

mechnificent, Oct 1, 10:48am
There is one further compliction. you never really know whether the person behind you is going to overtake and thus give you the right to turn left or not. Sometimes you assume they will overtake and so start to turn left, only to have the vehicle turning right pull in front of you.

crzyhrse, Oct 1, 11:52am
I've never had that happen. I wonder why that is! Perhaps it's because I never assume anything.

carkitter, Oct 1, 12:29pm
Another fine detail.

On the open road, when wanting to turn right (and cross the centre line) one must first pull onto the shoulder and turn only when it is clear both ways. You cannot sit in the lane with your indictator on, forcing following cars to swerve around you to the left until one hapless un-sighted driver ploughs into you from the rear.

Seen it happen.

ralphdog1, Oct 1, 6:30pm
I thought that was made optional about 30 years ago!

mechnificent, Oct 1, 6:42pm
Perhaps. Perhaps you live in a city and the roads and traffic are different.

I have been meaning to ask Crzyhrse, is your name inspired by the guys in the movie "Boy".
Great movie that, and those guys. total crack-up eh!

weaver2010, Oct 1, 6:56pm
With you on that one.

weaver2010, Oct 1, 7:00pm
Just shows how far outside of the vehicle the drivers are able to observe.

You dont force them swerve they choose to ignore the indications that you are slowing and indicating.They also fail to observe whats ahead of you as to why you are slowing.

You as the follwing driver are responsible to look beyond the nose of your vehicle and in front of the vehicle you are following.Thats the finer detail!OBSERVATION SKILLS!

weaver2010, Oct 1, 7:02pm
Got to laugh at how you wrote this!

Whats a Blind Person doing driving :)

oramac, Oct 1, 7:04pm
It is called turning in the shadow of the car following.

mrfxit, Oct 1, 8:34pm
Presumption is the mother of all F%$$#ups

This little fact is what resulted in the front of our Nissan being ripped off a couple of years ago
Lady (& I use that term loosely) presumed that because the car in the middle lane had stopped to give way to her crossing right over TWO lanes, that WE in the left lane would automatically give way as well

mrfxit, Oct 1, 8:35pm
None so blind as those who don't see
*said the blind man to his deaf daughter*

crzyhrse, Oct 1, 9:30pm
I haven't seen it. I may, one day, but I tend to avoid anything that's hyped out of all proportion or recommended by a friend of mine - if he likes it, it'll be guaranteed crap - although I haven't asked him about "Boy". I haven't wasted my time with Fale Rider, The Piano or Avatar because he reckoned they were great But he doesn't like Pulp Fiction, Heat, Ronin or Full Metal Jacket or Generation Kill - you get the picture.

Neil Young & Crazy Horse.

crzyhrse, Oct 1, 9:38pm
She's probably the very same sort of idiot that turns into a multilane road directly into the furthest lane. They need to crack down on these fools - they interfere with traffic flow something chronic.

tigra, Oct 1, 9:48pm
How many know that Downhill traffic is meant to give way to Uphill traffic!
Seems that very few are even aware there is such a rule.

mechnificent, Oct 1, 9:55pm
"Neil Young & Crazy Horse.".

Whoo, that's going back. but a goody. Well Neil anyway.

crzyhrse, Oct 1, 10:04pm
That is a courtesy, not an actual rule.

crzyhrse, Oct 1, 10:06pm
You're only allowed to look at the next vehicle ahead and then only if it's within 20ft. You certainly can't look behind using mirrors because you can see their face and that breaches the Privacy Act.

weaver2010, Oct 2, 1:57am
Given this is New Zealand then that will never happen.

kcc55a, Oct 2, 2:19am
Sure doesnt.Speeding + gravity/inertia seems to dictate that one.

lookoutas, Oct 2, 2:25am
That goes right back to horse'n'cart - A bit stupid now, considering the speed momentum of modern transport.
You'll probably still find there's a law where any vehicle travelling faster than 5 MPH must have someone walking in front waving a white flag!