The CAMBELT thing

Page 1 / 2
nzanthony, Oct 12, 7:24pm
Does anyone know the truth about cambelt changes! I know the 100000/4year thing but there are a lot of cars out there outside of these limits that don't appear to have have a new cambelt. I actually don't know anyone who has experienced a broken cambelt. Do I need to take the recommendation seriously! and. Honda Odyessey, how much to do a cambelt!

morrisman1, Oct 12, 7:29pm
Broken cambelt = New cambelt + new valves + new camshafts maybe. + head gasket + all sorts of stuff you wouldnt have otherwise had to do

Replacing the cambelt is about 1/5 of the cost of fixing up a broken one. Just replace it, its insurance really. Some engines are quite hard on cambelts and break them soon after the milage has been reached, while others you could potentially double the recommended service interval.

skull, Oct 12, 7:30pm
I'm sure a large proportion of Oddies don't even have a belt, my Accord has a chain and I'm pretty sure some Oddies have the same motor. Be specific with year and engine size if you want proper advice.

r15, Oct 12, 7:31pm
you might get lucky, and it'll be fine
you might get semi unlucky and it breaks causing your engine to stop where you are
you might get really unlucky and it breaks, followed by your pistons collecting your valves, which gets VERY expensive

or, spend a little, and avoid all of this

true story, without going into specifics.wouldn't worry about the year thing so much until 8 or so myself personally

xs1100, Oct 12, 7:32pm
on the tah on the fire wall its has eng: what are those numbers

intrade, Oct 12, 7:44pm
need engine code to see if it is a interfearance engine or not thats what makes the difference of destroyed engine or not when belt rips a few teeth off as they dont snap in half.

floscey, Oct 12, 7:48pm
Most Odds have belts, A timing belt and a ballance belt.The k24a is the only chain drive engine in them.

blb71, Oct 12, 8:02pm
Thanks you all for the informative information. I am looking at a number od Odysessys so are unfamiliar with the diffrent engine types. Unless i find a k24a I guess I'll be ensuring is within its cambelts service life or pencil the cost of a new one into purchase price. I'm guessing i'd have to budget $1000 for the belt replacement. Cheers.

kngfhrt, Oct 12, 8:22pm
+1
And if you don't want timing belt breakage getting a car with a pushrod motor would be your next best choice!

splinter67, Oct 12, 8:26pm
I dont know about the cambelt change thing I have a 91 camry with 399ks on it with the original cambelt on it

kngfhrt, Oct 12, 8:35pm
Im not that familiar with a honda's but this sounds quite expensive. My guess is honda or most local garages would do a timing belt job like that for under half that figure maybe even less pay to shop around a bit first.
unless honda are now making there idler and tensioner wheels out of brass!

tigra, Oct 12, 8:36pm
Tui

kngfhrt, Oct 12, 8:37pm
reading that made my eyes water!
some cars along with some people, have all the luck!
lucky you!

fordkiwi27, Oct 12, 8:43pm
same person as op!

splinter67, Oct 12, 8:46pm
No not tui still has original cambelt I brought it from the original owner

splinter67, Oct 12, 8:50pm
we paid 900 for it two years ago needed something to tow the trailer to the dump its going to the wreckers soon got a cracked windscreen wont get a wof

floscey, Oct 12, 9:28pm
under $200 for the parts

NZTools, Oct 13, 12:06am
A toyota waterpump has lasted 400,000 ks! Yeah right.

hrt, Oct 13, 12:20am
399kms! Get your hand off it.

OP, general rule is 100k/10 years. Daewoos etc were 80k on a lot, 60k on a lot of the Opel/GM stuff like Astras. Some Euro stuff now is going to extended intervals and Toyotas going to 150k depending on model. The vehicles you're looking at will be 100k changes.

The S-engines in the Camry etc would be due for a waterpump failure before 200k, there is a reason you do them every time on those with the belt.

a.woodrow, Oct 13, 12:23am
hmmm new shape diesel hiace, racked up 380k before first cambelt change, all open road running. finally convinced owner to replace, he had never had one done since purchasing van new. Nope I can believe it

splinter67, Oct 13, 12:29am
You get your hand off it 91 3l v6 nz new get a grip you wouldnt have a clue not everything fails remember mechanics only see the ones that breakdown

mrsscubasteve, Oct 13, 2:16am
Until 10,000km ago my original had lasted 350,000. it just kept going and going and going and going.

trader_84, Oct 13, 2:27am
Wait for Franc123 to wade into this ??

ash4561, Oct 13, 2:45am
Id expect it to break about 300,000km they usually break on reving the engine on take off going slow causing no damage other than the belt broken and car not driving till its replaced so doesnt cost any more. If it did break at 100 km/hr you would trow that engine out. Theres 1000 other things on the car more serious to worry about tyres with tread are under rated. Thats the most important thing for safety and having brakes and steering.

sheena32, Oct 13, 4:08am
100,00 or 7 years re rubber perish