Grand Vitara Gearbox - Noisy Bearings

samflewitt, Oct 10, 8:51pm
I have a 1998 2.0 litre JLX with 275,000k. It has a noisy bearing at the front of the gearbox. I am debating the cost ($2000K all up) of a getting the gearbox stripped and all the bearings replaced ! Am I better off tracking down a decent 2nd hand box ! Any advice appreciated.

tatts2, Oct 10, 9:53pm
It maybe the thrust bearing in the clutch. If not 2nd hand box maybe the way to go.

the-lada-dude, Oct 10, 10:02pm
BANANAS

the-lada-dude, Oct 10, 10:03pm
or should i say, BANANA skins

elect70, Oct 11, 2:03am
In manual g boxes its the front input shaft bearingthat takesthe most load &wears out first .Some boxes it can be replaced without dismantling,If it has afrontbearing housing cover, can just unbolt itpull input shaft out & get bearing offotherscan splitin middle . Look in wk shop manual .

bleetbleet, Oct 11, 2:58am
i simply replaced mine with a second hand g/box.although i think i was quite lucky to find one $800 plus clutch kit($180) one afternoon out in the garage elect70 says look in workshop manual but unfortunately you cant buy a workshop manual for a 2 litre v6 unless you wanna pay $800 for a second hand book,(thats what that local suzuki dealer offered me for his obsolete manual)

elect70, Oct 11, 11:20pm
Just pull it out & have a look,if can get it out without dismantlingboxdo it ,get new bearingfrom eng supplies^^^did you tell him to stick itwhere sun doesnt shine !

ceebee2, Oct 13, 1:20am
Have you phoned "The gearbox shop" for a quote as they are reasonable. Alternatively simply get the box dismantled / get the bearing numbers / go to Auckland bearings and procure replacements at a fraction of the dealer price / get the installed. Completely overhauled. If you pull the box out will save $$ in labour.