Old Cars - Law Change.?

Page 1 / 2
mss2006, Oct 9, 9:29pm
I heard a rumour there is a change coming in legislation that will affect older cars on the road.

I cannot offer any info about what the changes are, if any,as the source of the rumour was very vague.

Is there any current news about this!

Thanks - Sorry I could not be more specific.

intrade, Oct 9, 9:34pm
no but my naigbour down the road has his own theroy why the government wants to get rid of wof so they can then say it down works with no woff every old car off the road and everyone must buy new cars, That is his theory and no he dont smokes dope even do sometimes you could think he did with the ideas he comes up with. My experience is the governments interest is verry similar to the usa (money greed and power) so what ever they are doing its probably to get closer to the above . and thats just what i think, and the greenies are not any smarter asking the government to print more money to bring down the nz$ thats the worst thingyou could do as the doller is inflated by other means and if you do this you will end up with a bang and the nz$ worth 20 cent us and the chinese rubbing there hands to buy the whole country for abargain after.

attitudedesignz, Oct 9, 9:39pm
What! Sometimes you don't make sense intrade, but this takes the cake mate lol.

chebry, Oct 9, 9:45pm
He rarely makes sense but dont forget the WOF system was introduced for the express purpose of removing old cars from the roads it fell on its arse when the govt after WW2 restricted the supply of new cars and turned NZ into Cuba of the pacific, even now we are having Japans scrap sold to us at Cadilac prices

smac, Oct 9, 9:59pm
This thread is just so full of factual information I can't quite take it ll in.

jason18, Oct 9, 10:16pm
LOLLLOLOLLOLLLOOOLLL

kcc55a, Oct 9, 10:21pm
Truly hard! I'd like a Toyota Caddy.

splinter67, Oct 9, 10:21pm
Now who was smoking pot

bill-robinson, Oct 9, 10:22pm
how true

kcc55a, Oct 9, 10:24pm
Why did you even bother!

dave653, Oct 9, 10:27pm
The thing is, older cars are usually driven by people who know how to look after them. As it's too expensive to have a prang, if it's your fault, in an illegal vehicle, considering new cars are bloody expensive to repair. New cars look like shit anyway!

nzoomed, Oct 10, 12:08am
the ad that greg murphy is on at the moment suggests that the govt are wanting to increase the time required between each WOF. New cars are already 12 months and 6 months for older cars, personally 6 months is far too short, i think its a good idea if they increase the time a WOF is valid for. We had worn brake pads pass a WOF with flying colours not long ago, so it doesnt mean a thing.

elect70, Oct 10, 12:16am
Govt have been trying foryears , increasingsaftey requirementsthus preventing import of cars older thanaround5 years.Theymaytry it with localcars too by insisting on minimum 3star rating tobe registered. Exemptionforclassicsbutonlyfor limited travelfor showsetc . All in the name of reducingroad deaths .

kcf, Oct 10, 1:01am
/facepalm

chebry, Oct 10, 1:21am
Limited travel ok Ill disconnect the speedo of my classic and drive it daily

neverl8, Oct 10, 2:28am

slater-bug, Oct 10, 3:10am
if they put it out to one yearly wof I would put money on the cost going up over the $100 mark for the same service
but they will say there is more involved what will not be true
old cars will have a diffident wof than new
any car over 5 years old they don'twant on the read
can many people afford this
I know I can't

rob_man, Oct 10, 4:16am
A twelve month WOF would spell the doom of a lot of old cars, currently you might have to cough up a couple of hundred bucks to get your older car up to scratch every six months but if it's allowed to deteriorate for a whole year then it's more likely that it will get scrapped when there's a bigger lump sum involved because of the longer attrition period. (how's that for a word eh!).

llortmt, Oct 10, 4:21am

intrade, Oct 10, 4:28am
the wof should be 2 years for cars that fail on no more the 3 items. it should be 1 year for a cars that fail up to 6 items and it should be 6 month if the car faild on more then 6 items and if it faild on more then 10 items you should only get 3 month, as your clearly a moron who is not looking after your car and deserve to have only 3 months wof.

woody1946, Oct 10, 4:49am
Law change won't worry those who don't get a WOF now anyway

nzoomed, Oct 10, 5:46am
i get sick of WOF's they always seem to fail me on trivial things that are not a saftey concern, and other serious matters like a faulty wheel bearing, they failed to pick up on and actually cost me more money to fix because it collapsed and damaged my wheel hub. VTNZ sucks.

sandypheet, Oct 10, 6:19am
And American scrap coming in with rolls royce prices.

bill-robinson, Oct 10, 7:00am
I suppose walking around your car and looking at WOF issues and fixing them BEFORE you go in never occurred to you. You are responsible for the mechanical state of your car, not the WOF inspector. Do some maintainance it does help.

kcc55a, Oct 10, 7:25am
Providing the items are signific Yet in the right hands it can be a failant. I dont call a slightly worn rear vision window wiper significant.