Old Cars - Law Change.?

Page 2 / 2
pauldw, Oct 10, 7:39am
Is there actually any requirement for rear window wipers!

franc123, Oct 10, 7:43am
No there is no requirement to test them.

jason18, Oct 10, 8:01am
Thats just messy

jhw2, Oct 10, 8:08am
The answer to reducing road deaths, in my considered opinion, is to remove speed limits altogether.It stands to reason that the faster one goes from A to B, the less time you on the road, and therefore the less chance you are involved in an accident.:-)

rob_man, Oct 10, 8:11am
According to today's paper only .5% of deaths/injuries are down to WOF type faults in vehicles while 2.5 have faulty vehicles as a contributing factor.

julian.walls, Oct 10, 8:14am
According to the NZ Automotive magazines that I regularly review on my website - the general rumor is that very tough emission rules will be applied to older cars. There does seem to be a 'agenda; to get the older cars of the road.

Also there is considerable discussion that when you pay your wof - you will pay at same time at your garage, the Registration fee which will hit those particularly at bottom of our financial ladder of society, very hard to pay it in one go!

Note MTA is worried and trying to put scare tactics to us to leave the wof where it is - Many of its member Garages may be affected in terms of their income if the 6 month interval changes to 1 year+. I understand in the UK often their tests (ie MOT) can be 1 year or longer as revenue has not really effected garages much;this has been going on for more then 20 years. Also in the UK if your classic car was built before January 1st 1973 you pay no tax (ie Registration fee!) Wish that would apply here!

extrayda, Oct 10, 9:35am
I wouldn't have a big issue with WOF / rego at the same time.
I would have an issue with tough emissions laws on older cars.
I haven't looked, but I wonder how much pollution / energy goes into creating say a 2012 Camry Station Wagon (and shipping it to NZ) vs keeping my cruddy old 97 Nissan Cefiro running.Or a classic that is used for a daily driver (or even weekend toy).I guess it depends on what an 'older car' is.Most people don't want to buy a less that 5 year old car anyway - if you need a people moved the price would be horrendous.

kcf, Oct 10, 5:45pm
Rather than repeat rumourmill, why not just ask NZTA.I did and the answer was "No, that rumour has no basis in fact"

fryan1962, Oct 10, 7:22pm
rawdon and nadine both are taking about their cars with windows that do not wind down,I assume it is not a w.o.f item. what a great system we have that ppl do not take responsibility for their cars
in oz in victoria you buy a car with a w.o.f and that is the end of it.you get another one when you sell the car, I had my car for 20 yrs,and winders worked,everything I maintained
I see so many cars and truck driving around with one headlight,why these driver rely on w.o.f tester and do not take responsibility for their vehicle

I get my w.o.f from the blind man $50 pass every time.I do maintain my vehicle
he did not use hoist last time saving power

nzoomed, Oct 10, 8:25pm
+1
correct Thats what the Vintage Car Club told us too.

rob_man, Oct 10, 11:17pm
And further to that, I heard a claim on the radio that there are 275000 vehicles without a WOF driving around at any given time. That seems to indicate that it's not really a safety issue at all. Greg Murphy is pretending he cares about it in MTA's advertising campaign for safety reasons but I think we all know it's more about their members losing an earner.

nzoomed, Oct 10, 11:34pm
agreed!

mechnificent, Oct 11, 5:16am
If they did push the time out to a year, then at the inspections they would have to require more tread on tyres, less rust, less wear in every component, less dimming of headlight lenses, less fading of seatbelts, less smoke from the exhaust. less oil leaks .and they'd charge more of course.

Everytime they make a change, it's to divide and conquer. just like the acc on diesel vehicles, or motorbikes.or four-wheel drives. or old people, or young ones, or black ones or jews.

rob_man, Oct 11, 7:06am
OK, now I'll play the Devil's advocate. Noticed how small businesses are vanishing! Govt doesn't like small businesses because they are difficult to police and don't have as many reasons to be blindly compliant as their bigger counterparts do. One of the things that will be keeping smaller mechanical workshops running is WOF testing, I think small businesses might be an acceptable (to govt) by-kill.

matarautrader, Oct 11, 7:10am
I dont trust that Greg Murphy. Saw him on TV the other day and he was driving a car that had NO warrant. Tyres were bald, very loud, too close to ground. And he was driving too close to the other cars as well. How can he go on TV and tout for MTA when he does that!

rob_man, Oct 11, 7:26am
I don't think he used his indicators either, AND he passed another car on a bend without 200m of visibility.

brouser3, Oct 12, 3:31am
Our Cady is twice the car any Japper is and cost 1/2 as much.

jkm, Oct 12, 3:46am
hahah. getting slow took me a while to click!

splinter67, Oct 12, 3:52am
I saw him pass on the left as well just shows we have too many police on our roads didnt see one last sunday over in aus and there was lots of bad driving going on whincup with his sustained loss of traction

petermcg, Oct 12, 4:29am
I hope they scrap the WOF complete. It wont affect the boy racers as the cops police there vehicles now. Wether they got a wof or not they still get the pink sticker. Im sick of the fiddly little things that you have to do these days, and also it is not the rattly old bombs on the road with no WOF that are killing the people.