Commodore or Maxima?

orlandofan, Oct 21, 9:49pm
Hello. Any help would be appreciated. Am looking at a big sedan in the $2500 to $4000 price bracket. There seem to be some good condition, higher mileage 96-2000 Maxima and 97 to 2000 VT Commodores at that range. The ones I'm looking at all seem to be private owner examples, and they have some service history and are in tidy condition (no ex taxis!) Im mainly looking at them for a 100km round trip commute each day. Not too worried about the price of gas, just which would be the most reliable if looked after properly over the next 2-3 years. Won't be towing. Just need comfortable space for 2 adults, and 2 teenagers at the weekend. I have driven the Commodore model, not yet for the Maxima, but they look nice and seem to have a reasonable reputation. Have thought about Falcon of same year but they don't seem to have a good reputation (AU model!) Thanks!

tgray, Oct 21, 9:52pm
My personal bias would be the maxima.

mugenb20b, Oct 21, 9:52pm
Both are good cars, but prefer the Maxima as it's more comfortable and has a much better build quality.

Commodore however, will be easier to work on due to its prehistoric drivetrain.

franc123, Oct 21, 9:58pm
Go and drive the Maxima first, they're a superbly refined cruiser, given you aren't going to tow anything heavy they are ideal. The only thing with higher km Maximas is that many of the engine electrics start failing, ignition coils, airflow meters and sensors are common fail points.Its all fixable obviously but it gets annoying and expensive after a while.

franc123, Oct 21, 9:58pm
Go and drive the Maxima first, they're a superbly refined cruiser, given you aren't going to tow anything heavy they are ideal. The only thing with higher km Maximas is that many of the engine electrics start failing, ignition coils, airflow meters and sensors are common fail points.Its all fixable obviously but it gets annoying trying to keep it running properly. The genuine parts are expensive and there is a lot of low quality replacement stuff about that simply doesn't last. The few A32/A33 Maxima and Cefiro owners I've known have loved the car but eventually given up in disgust because of these issues. The car you buy may not suffer from all of them but its something you need to be aware of.

extrayda, Oct 21, 10:45pm
A32 owner here, 180,000ks (i've had it since 90,000).
Comfortable quiet car, easy to drive, ok for what it is.
Not overly economical, but not terrible either.
Not fast, but not too slow.
I haven't had to do much for it (so far) apart from standard maintenance.
I have just started to notice a bit of blue smoke when I reverse up the drive and the motor is cold.
It's a good car, would certainly look at another cefiro/maxima, although I think there was some issue specific to the A33 (google will probably show if there was).

magicmat, Oct 21, 11:03pm
Personally I would take the Commie in most situations but at that price range even I would go for the Nissan. I would guess you will get a better example of a Maxima than you would a commie at that price.

monaro17, Oct 22, 1:44am
I drive a VX V6 Commodore (nearly the same as a VT), my son has a 1995 A32 3.0 Cefiro (Maxima). Firstly I would say they are both wonderful cars, however the Cefiro is NOTICEABLY faster than the Holden- it is also a hell of a lot quieter and smoother (even more so than 5 series BMWs of the era). The Holden is dynamically better being RWD but going by your post you don't care for this. I personally would recommend an imported A32 Cefiro version over the NZ new A32 Maxima as the Cefiro has a good factory installed variable intake system that both sounds good and provides a GREAT turn of speed. In terms of the AU falcon- their reputation is greatly un-deserved they are good cars but their styling seemed to be the main downfall of the model. So all in all, go for the Nissan example the build quality is excellent and the engine is one of the most awarded engines of all time.

mantagsi, Oct 22, 3:13am
have driven both, a lot, and would lean towards the maxima. as other posters have highlighted, the maxima does sprout very annoying electrical issues as it ages. they are a bit bothersome to do a waterpump in, so try to make an effort to look after the cooling system. also don't be stingy with oil changes. get 'em done on a steady recurring schedule with those vq engines and the maxima will be happy as larry.

likit, Oct 22, 4:06am
Had the maxima now have a VT & much prefer it.The maxima I had to replace all electric window motors & electric aerial as well as trouble with engine sensors,the Commodore has only had normal wear & tear & I have done 50000km in it.I too drive it mainly open road doing 132 km round trip each day to work averaging 9.5l/100km.Its quieter & smoother & in my mind a better looking car.Drive both & you decide as you will be the one driving it in the end.

beblowin, Oct 22, 4:19am
get a prepurchase check done as both have there own faults and you will be kicking yourself if you buy a lemon, its around $100 for a inspection.

daryl14, Oct 22, 7:06am
03 Max A33 here, nz new. Only paid $3500 back in 08. 320 Kays on it now. Burns a little oil. But what car doesn't! Bought the Haynes Manual and did the 300K service all on my onesey. Have only had to do new brake pads, bebuilt starter motor and a radiator fan. Replaced the electrical aerial a couple times. Every now and then there is a glitch in the electrical system, seems to not want to start or goes a bit rough, but it always sorts itself out. It just goes and goes and goes.

Things that piss me off are trying to get new transponder keys and wreckers seem to want to charge moon beams for parts. Don't even go near the stealership. Pick a part is a godsend. Personally I'd go for a newer 04 shape. Much nicer looking.

Big comfortable cruiser that is very reliable. Like driving grandad's arm chair. You do get a bit of torque steer if you give it a bootfull.

magicmat, Oct 22, 9:57am
God no! "Has developed engine noise" sounds particularly concerning. At least the VT is pretty basic and they tend to easily make it to 300k.

Either way, would not touch that as an alternative.

96jeep4life, Oct 22, 10:17am
Go maxima, both cars are good, but thats my preffered choice, just make sure its been looked after

tshop, Oct 22, 10:20am
Maxima hands down better car/ fwd but.

thewomble1, Oct 22, 11:47am
Own a 1997 Maxima, 260,000km.burns no oil. Had to replace speedo 230000. Usual tyres, brakes replaced like any brand of car.
Also have 2004 Maxima 60500km. Touch wood.had to fix nothing yet.
Would recommend the Maxima's. great cruising cars, plenty of power when needed, comfortable, very very quiet. Depends on heavy your right foot is to what your petrol consumption is.