1970 Isuzu Bellett

Page 2 / 2
monzaman, Nov 2, 10:42am
Why not!oil doesn't wear out or break down it just gets contaminated,toilet rolls are much more efficient than cartridge and spin-on filters,you change toilet rollwhen oil started appearing brown at about 2-300 miles and in morning when oil had drained back to sump over night so not a drop spilt.

trogedon, Nov 2, 6:52pm
Good excuse to get your wife to change the oil & filter - while she's cleaning the toilet!

next-to-normal, Nov 2, 8:11pm
Z68 and smaller Rodeo & Piazza variants (Z56B! Z142!) suit the Belletts with the later screw on OIL filters.
even the warehouse use to sell them

fryan1962, Nov 2, 9:05pm
My FJ did not have any filter when they were made so were called sludge grey motors

I did put bypass filter on it for a while can not think of the name of it but it has cartridge filter

richardmayes, Nov 2, 10:22pm
I'm 31 and I've never seen anything like it either.

But toilet roll filters are real. a couple of old buggas parked near me at a British car day got talking about them because one of them still had a toilet roll filter on his car.

No idea how good they are compared to a conventional cartridge filter.

fryan1962, Nov 2, 11:32pm
Fram filters it came to me haha

mugenb20b, Nov 2, 11:39pm
Update: I ditched the toilet roll filter set up, and fitted a good old Z101 spin on type. So now, it will be much easier, cleaner and faster to service in the future. Thank you to those that replied, I learned something new.

mugenb20b, Nov 2, 11:48pm
Hi Lada-dude. Thank you for your off topic post. But a turbo charger has an exhaust driven turbine on one side (or impeller, makes no difference to me.) and the other is connected to the same shaft which is a compressor turbine or impeller. So, in a way, it is technically an "exhaust driven turbine". You might know of some other type of exhaust driven turbine that I know nothing about. I don't know everything, I do learn some things from time to time. There are a few things I do know, and that's not to run my car/4wd tyres at 50psi pressure, and not waste my time working on expired Ladas and Fiats.

jrlaw, Nov 3, 12:36am
I am 75 and remember a man in Palmerston North making a oil filter using a toilet paper roll.Seem to remember that the roll fitted in a filter casing similarto the old Ford V 8 ones.

elect70, Nov 3, 12:36am
Oil only gets ditynever looses its lubricating properties. you could usefiltered oil from last oil change.Ifusingfull syntheticprobably save$80a change.I used to work for Shell & their lab testedfiltered oil & it was as good as new ,butfor obvious reasons they nevermade it public . On big marine engines they dontreplace the oil every10,000 km . have remote filters

modie61, Nov 3, 12:54am
I found an old photo of a car we had and it says Purolator on the casing,its chrome with nurling on the outer edge.

mike107, Nov 4, 7:13am
He filters it through the toilet roll once a month.

phillip.weston, Nov 4, 7:16am
is it a creamy off-white colour with reg plate starting with FL!

mugenb20b, Nov 4, 7:20am
Sorry, can't recall the number plate, I'll have a look tomorrow, and it's been painted blue, looks like factory colour. It was in the same family for a long time.

johnf_456, Nov 4, 7:21am
Very common

mugenb20b, Nov 4, 7:29am
Nope, most cars have spin on filters.

johnf_456, Nov 4, 7:33am
Yes but in the old day it was a kiwi thing to use toilet paper, I've seen many old cars with them. I'm not exactly super old either.

mugenb20b, Nov 4, 7:37am
Well, you must be if it's "very common".

johnf_456, Nov 4, 7:43am
Haha just common on some old vehicles I use to fix growing up and the odd one now days but not so common. Most older ones have rusted out, its more a kiwi thing so I have noticed.

jonthefisho, Nov 4, 8:13am
I have an brand new but old one in my shed.

mugenb20b, Nov 5, 5:59am
FL it is, but factory blue colour.

geedubu, Nov 5, 6:06am
You have a very good car worth keeping; I recall seeing an extremely rare Bellett GT-R on trademe a few months back, you are lucky to own it & good luck (ps on the toilet roll filter discussion I add my recollection to those who know this as a normal and very functional way of filtering the oil in the 60's and thereafter.worked just fine & why not.)

mugenb20b, Jan 31, 12:10pm
You know, I really wish it was mine, it belongs to a customer.