Parking Wardens targeting Workshops in CHCH

Page 1 / 2
msparts, Oct 26, 7:10am
I know they have a job to do but showing up in commercial areas with no parking restrictions and targeting cars that are parked outside workshops with no WOF is wrong and spineless when they are clearly there to obtain a WOF. After issuing a few tickets he was confronted by at least 5 business owners in the street and towards the end there was 15 odd people all getting very heated at him. He admitted he had been sent there specifically, very wrong in my opinion and made alot of people in a small area very angry which has potential to get dangerous if you get the wrong person on weong day, then he rode off straight through a red light, go figure

wimwom, Oct 26, 7:16am
It's not about safety, like everything, it's about the money!

gunhand, Oct 26, 7:20am
Why haven't the cars got WOFs! You do have a whole 6 months and if a newer car a year to sort out getting it done on time. How much time do people need to plan there WOFs. And your not supose to wait till its out to get it either. About two weeks before would make sence in case theres work to be done.
How HARD is it!

msparts, Oct 26, 7:27am
so you think its ok them targeting workshops then!, this particular workshop and the 2 close to it do alot of car yard work, these cars often sit around without wof until sold, not ideal to park on the road outside worshop but on a busy day unavoidable, especialy if the customer themselves park there

gunhand, Oct 26, 7:33am
That I can sympathise with then. Car dealers cars would be one of the few exceptions I guess. But you didnt mention that in the first place. But are they ALL car yard cars being ticketed!

40wav, Oct 26, 7:35am
If I take my currently legal, WOFed car in for a test, two weeks before WOF is due, and fail, my car is no longer legal for reason(s) I knew nothing about. If I choose to immediately stop driving that car, get picked up by someone else, and leave my HIDIOUSLY DANGEROUS car in the mechanics yard for repair (perhaps a tail light bulb or a pair of new tyres), is it OK to then be pinged for no WOF! Keep in mind, I have done all humanly possible to stay on the right side of the law, and the garage cannot be expected to have unlimited undercover storage.

40wav, Oct 26, 7:40am
I bought a car from a car yard some time ago and they let me have it right there and then - all legal, on the proviso it had a new WOF. They couldn't get the WOF done for a few days and when they did it failed. They kept the car on private premises till it got a pass, and they gave me a run about in the interim. Seems they knew the deal!
BUT - If a warden had been passing, could he have ticketed my car!

gunhand, Oct 26, 7:41am
If you took your legal car in and it failed for whatever reason it should still have the current WOF sticker still on it when parked outside so the warden wouldnt know it was not legal. Ive never yet seen the sticker removed prior to a car getting the new warrent, its useually the last thing done. When Ive failed a WOF Ive never had the current sticker removed. Must be a practice they have elsewhere maybe. An dI have yet to see a huge FAIL sticker applied either.

helsbels2, Oct 26, 7:43am
What area of town is that or is it city centre

40wav, Oct 26, 7:46am
Your car can have a 1 day old warrent sticker, have bald tyres and be failed for not up to WOF standard and be stickered. These little 'failed policeman' parking wardens will ping for anything.

40wav, Oct 26, 7:48am
And in saying that, whn I need new tyres or brakes or whatever on my vehicle, they are replaced and stay there. Not replaced for a day, then swapped back with 'mates'.

gunhand, Oct 26, 7:50am
So your saying a car with a one day old (new) WOF that has bald tyres should'nt be targeted!How did it get this new WOF with bald tyres or was it the type of person who borrows good wheels and tyres off a mate just for WOF time!

msparts, Oct 26, 7:50am
outskirts of town, between sydenham and watham with no restricted or time limited parking in sight

40wav, Oct 26, 7:50am
Has to be said though. this is nothing to do with Chch (although I do feel for those buggers) but this issue is probably nationwide

40wav, Oct 26, 7:52am
Please read post 11. Cheers. I agree, but if it's there for WOF repair, who's to say what needs doing!

msparts, Oct 26, 7:53am
very true, I remeber i while ago "zephyrheaven" mentioning the same thing happening around his workshop

gunhand, Oct 26, 8:00am
I was typing as you posted.

40wav, Oct 26, 8:14am
So was I mate, B+C also has a hold tonight.I respect you and your views, I suspect given time, they are the same as mine.

gunhand, Oct 26, 8:20am
All good, no harm in sensible descussion even if you happen to disagree with each other or have a different angle to it. Its when it gets down to name calling ( I do that over in general and opinions but they really deserve it LOL) it all looses its fun.

40wav, Oct 26, 8:45am
No probs mate, a happy discussion is a spirited discussion. Even if disagreeing, one or both usually learns something (if they're able). I dont really do name calling unless its really warranted, and sometimes it is.

pauldw, Oct 26, 9:18am
The Government doesn't agree with gunhand's view as the Road User Rules include
" 8.9 (2) An operator of a motor vehicle is not in breach of subclause (1 basically what gunhand says) if the operator proves that, at the time the vehicle was being driven,??

wimwom, Oct 26, 10:23am
The vehicle wasn't being operated, it was parked!I understand the need for a vehicle to be licensed in order to park on the road but in what way does a warrant make any difference when the vehicle is only parked!Another bloody rip.It hasn't always been required a vehicle have both to only be parked!

pauldw, Oct 26, 10:36am
Just so you don't get caught out this is how operate is defined in the Rules
"operate, in relation to a vehicle, means to drive or use the vehicle on a road, or to cause or permit the vehicle to be on a road or to be driven on a road, whether or not the person is present with the vehicle"

wimwom, Oct 26, 10:44am
That's crazy.A vehicle needs to pay its way, licensing then is acceptable but a warrant is a check for safety, why then is it required when the vehicle is parked!
We motorists get boned at every turn and we all just seem to accept it.

johnf_456, Oct 26, 10:50am
While I agree with you, there would be a safety risk if a vehicle that had no wof was parked on a road at night with a damaged tail light / none.

But yes I totally agree that they should not be targeted but even a warning incase the owner is not aware would be better than a fine if they want to take it that far.