Next Holden Commodore to be the last

Page 2 / 2
by_hdt, Nov 5, 10:32pm
Just sounds like unions shit-stirring as usual. There is no other GM owned company that can build a decent car on a tight budget like Holden can, And GM are fully aware of this. Many of the executives at GM now are ex-Holden. Holden have been crucial in the development of the new Camaro and the Chev Caprice Police car that is a big hit with police in the states.

rsr72, Nov 5, 11:21pm
The statement came from a meeting of Australian engineers whose members would lose their jobs if Holden design engineering and design went overseas. The cars themselves would still be made in OZ.
-a lot of politics traditionally in the Aussie car industry.

200sx, Nov 6, 12:23am
As others have said, heard it all before for both Commodore and Falcon. I really couldn't care less about whether the Australian govt or taxpayer subsidises anything, the reality is most kiwi buyers purchase these cars second hand. There is plenty of used stock on the market and will be for years to come. Most people who want to slit their wrists over the prospect aren't doing the one thing they need to to keep those models alive - and that's buy a brand new example every couple of years. Should they actually pull the pin, it's not the end of the world as there are other rear wheel drive sedans out there to choose from. Sure,they might not all have the typical Aussie traits of lots of room and relatively cheap servicing, but people will move on. And this is coming from someone who has owned over the years Fairmonts, Fairlanes, SS Commodores, a Clubsport, E55 Merc and BMW 328i. Ya gotta mix it up a little!

richard198, Nov 6, 6:35am
Both Holden and Ford have been teetering on the edge of oblivion for a while. Just a matter of when, really.

magicmat, Feb 3, 3:55pm
Man I really hope this is just speculation. I dont own shares in Holden though I most certainly own a Holden which I adore. The Australian designed Holden has been an iconic vehicle that has been rebadged as a Pontiac and a Vauxhall to suit markets - but its been iconic all the same.
I guess when it comes down to it, I am a German born, NZ citizen, wannabe Aussie who is extremely proud of what Aussie has done here. I really hope this is just a baseless rumour!