Clutch slave cylinder / thrust bearing ceased

Page 4 / 19
jmma, Nov 3, 1:52am
Well, I'm still trying to get my head around this one. OP said "less than 500kms later pull up and have the clutch pedal goes flop"
If clutch pedal goes flop, engine would stall, truck would shudder and OP would have to brake hard or knock it out of gear. No mention of this.
Can OP tell me if there were any gear change problems just prior to this happening!

snoopy221, Nov 3, 2:03am
jmma. your #67
Her previous #44
when driving down last the clutch had about 15 - 200mm at the top play before it started to engage - was smooth all the way to the floor.
When arrived I had changed down as you do to 2nd gear parked - clutch in tried to select reverse - stick not wanting to move - let clutch out and it sprung up but with no *umph* if that makes sense and was then just floppy

Quotetiggles2 (122 )4:48 pm, Wed 31 Oct #44

Oh and my **horse sense** #63 is ya change Sir.

jmma, Nov 3, 2:10am
Thanks snoopy, damn I read this thread again before that message and still missed that, time for a coffee (o:

tiggles2, Nov 3, 2:32am
jimma - no gear change problems on journey down (and yes I do engine brake using the gears) - pulled up and parked pushing clutch in (went in just fine) truck in second, foot on brake, engine running fine. Went to select reverse and gear stick did not want to move. Let clutch out to see if stuck came up without umph and was floppy.
Tried pushing in a few times and nothing - its was floppy. Gear stick would still not move
Engine still running no stalling or juddering, jumping forward etc.
I was parked on grass with a full load on board.
I could not move any where so turned engine off. Engine ran maybe three minutes tops. There were no noises that I could hear or herd prior to this, engine sounded sweet
I don't know why it did not stall, shudder or move, or if clutch was engaged or not engaged.
All I know is I had a floppy clutch pedal, a truck that's engine ran but went no where, a gear stick that would not move (and no I did not force it)

Luffs the rodeo boys ;) one is my farrier - they are salts of the earth

snoopy221, Nov 3, 3:15am
To Whom It May Concern

Your explanation with respect to the faulty workmanship on (insert) is Totally unacceptable.
Beyond Any Doubt your incorrect installation of the release fork should have been observed during installation or on your road test by the excessive pressure felt during clutch operation.

In good faith I drove the vehicle and it failed when the release fork came adrift allowing the slave cylinder to overtravel.
Undoubtabley the release bearing was not centred correctly causing replacement of what was essentially a new bearing incorrectly fitted by you.

As to your attempt to deny liability by fraudulently claiming the master cylinder[Still original] caused the slave cyl to overtravell-please explain how with the release bearing and fork fitted CORRECTLY this scenario is physically possible without the clutch slipping-

Or admit that unless the release fork IS incorrectly fitted the resultant slave cyl travel has to fully release the clutch causing the vehicle to have no drive.
Therefore your incompetent workmanship is why we have the M T A to allow people to be reimbursed .

jmma, Nov 3, 3:22am
OK, thought about it, clutch fork came out of release brg because wasn't fitted correctly. Was no need to change slave cyl as it was intact when mechanic arrived and he just pulled the piston out. They did however show you the slave cyl, but and this is a big BUT, why didn't they show you the seized release brg!
Because they reassembled it correctly, ripped the slave cyl seal, so they could chuck a new one at it and blame that. Bullshit. They covering their butts, you go Girl and go hard.

snoopy221, Nov 3, 3:26am
Something like that to them and the M T A

And well maybe a talk to ya farrier-or is dad Merv-His ole mate Nev the hunter runs a wrecking yard up your way.
The ex foreman of R M Transport if he is still around town-Gary Jhonson
would be a handy man.

tiggles2, Nov 3, 3:58am
Only thing they showed me - slave cylinder with arm and plunger bit on end - which I am guessing is the piston and seal and as said yes had very new bit of seal ripped off
No other parts shown - I should have asked maybe! ( the place that does my crewman always leaves the replaced parts - like the brake pads on the floor in the front so never thought about it)
Love the letter :) thank you
All the farrier lads know each other - not sure about Gary still being in town - will see what I can find
Intend to go hard - It is not fair when you don't know and are taken advantage of because of that. Big company or not - air is fair and someone is arse covering - that is now very clear.
One thing - I have been private message - some people wont post on here *chicken* and know my FB page - any way they recon 'we well me" are/ is wrong as I would have heard grinding graunching noises when I pushed the clutch in whentravelling if the fork was loose or bearing set wrong. Thoughts please.

snoopy221, Nov 3, 4:12am
any way they recon 'we well me" are/ is wrong as I would have heard grinding graunching noises when I pushed the clutch in when travelling if the fork was loose or bearing set wrong. Thoughts please.

Quotetiggles2 (122 )4:58 pm, Sat 3 Nov #74

Nope just the slightly heavier feel you noticed

Gary is a damn good man and a damn good mechanic.
I know-i used to work with him.

skin1235, Nov 3, 4:12am
the point the bearing and carrier finally slipped from the fork is as you engaged clutch to change to reverse at your (final) destination

as for the stick not moving - it would have if you'd forced it, and made a hell of a noise as the syncro rings finally allowed the teeth to grind together
( unless they have a clutch actuated stick lock as some of the lighter trucks do)

and yes I would still have been able to drive it home without a clutch - so why the tow on the second job

where do they think this graunching or grinding noises would have come from - at the time of travel to the site the bearing was hanging in by good luck - then it popped out of it's mounts - after that you effectively had no clutch engagement therefore could not change gear

tiggles2, Nov 3, 4:33am
I have no idea why second tow - She would not move fully loaded but I guess unladen and shoved round onto the road she may have (reverse was not happening and there was a 7 wire batten fence six foot in front of me) - thinking tractors in low gears here - I should have tried harder - so concede yes skin1235 you would have no doubt been able to her her home
I did not force stick because thought might break something - and OK not as strong as you guys ;) or maybe as brave when it comes to mechanical stuff
Said person recons a travelling / moving fork is noisy as is the bearing when it seizes up - no does not make sense to me - but needed to ask so have facts straight.
I have asked re Gary - hope to find out later tonight :)

snoopy221, Nov 3, 4:45am
With hindsight it could have been added in to that letter.
Furthermore as to your fraudulent claim of the bearing siezing no noise was heard at all by myself or my passengers-and indeed your own invoice states.

2nd job - remove slave cylinder clutch fork not sitting right. found release bearing damaged remove from carrier, fit new bearing, fit new slave cylinder test drive ok
And as observed.

less than 500kms later pull up and have the clutch pedal goes flop
call out same mechanic who climbs under truck and looks at slave - there is an arm stuck out - pulls dust cover off and gets covered in clutch fluid - no leaks. Then pulls dust cover off where fork goes into gear box bit ( not good on words here) and says the springs have come off !

snoopy221, Nov 3, 4:47am
They think ya a blardy mushroom the amount ya being fed.L O L

skin1235, Nov 3, 5:11am
reading back through, they never showed you the thrust earing they replaced after the second job

those springs he was talking about capture the bearing carrier to the fork, the fork also has another spring - a plate spring that capture the fork to a pivot ball
once fitted those springs will handle all normal flexing and still retain the parts in the right place

second invoice says fork not sitting right or words to that effect, coupled with the invoice also slating a new thrust and the job descriptive how they removed the old and fitted a new thrust due to it being seized
I will check and edit but they did not fit a pressure plate on the second invoice - and if the thrust had seized it would have done some serious wearing to the pressure plate fingers

skin1235, Nov 3, 5:15am
definitely no pressure plate on the second invoice -

this is sounding definitely very shady

document everything, diary note everything, note when calls made and when they were answered ( not )
this should not have to go to MTA but if it does it helps to have all the paper work you can get

skin1235, Nov 3, 5:25am
I have serious doubts the bearing was even seized at all
I'd suggest as logic ( at least to me lol) he did not fit the fork to pivot ball spring plate properly, once the fork moves sideways off that pivot it can spit the carrier springs out thus dislocating the carrier from the fork, and by dint of good luck the carrier did not dislocate from the fork until you stopped to select reverse ( and I do mean good luck - the carrier can be quite tight in the fork mounts) , once it dislocated it will turn a part turn and then the fork no longer contacts it, ie no amount of pedal will work the clutch
it also does not contact the pressure plate - so why would it seize -
and at no time does any of this make any noticeable noises either

tiggles2, Nov 3, 5:26am
Thank you skin1235
nope no pressure plate on 2nd invoice have it in front of me
have made a diary document of everything I can remember, dates, what was said phone calls etc (most of mine were off my mobile so show on bill as do the ones off home phone
Honest truth please - if 'things' have not been done again right how will I know what do I do - I travel to Taihape in two weeks and this stuff scares me
Yup I know treated like a mushroom
Kept in the dark and fed bull****

jmma, Nov 3, 5:28am
Yep, similar conclusion to you skin, post #72

snoopy221, Nov 3, 5:38am
a plate spring that capture the fork to a pivot ball
Dat1 cuzz dat b y it heavy.and be y da slave was a **No Leaks**
[Mind you if she'da given it a few quick pumps on the pedal it woulda been rolled in flour underneath.]

tiggles2, Nov 3, 5:39am
That makes more sense - very good luck yes
the though of another trip and being stranded with kids and horses is not good

skin1235, Nov 3, 5:40am
we've probably got the same scars on the knuckles from slipping spanners too jmma

you'd have to hope they got it right the second time tiggles, but can understand your apprehension, this is not going to vacate the mind for many a km , faith!, hope!, cross your fingers etc, lol

it shouldn't, they had a second chance to right their wrongs, the rest is just the argument about who should pay for it - and what it is they're paying for

snoopy221, Nov 3, 5:43am
Incedentaly as to a slave cylinder overtravelling.
C'mon fullas-when oh when in all ya years of experience have ya EVER seen or heard of that hapenning!
[I'll go first-old cabon thrust screamin for years after carbon gone on a commer van-And only ever seen that once]
Now if they had of said broken fork-charged for gearbox removal-refit and towing-well.it'd be concieviable-but the mushroom food.
Stone The Flamin Crows-The Gallahs.

tiggles2, Nov 3, 5:51am
Lol guys - ok feel better now - back to trusting that all is good again. - Its not as bad as blowing the brake line at the top of a hill I guess (that was four years ago)

skin1235, Nov 3, 5:51am
I was going to enter the argument earlier that the slave piston is retained y a wopping great circlip, if the rod drops they will pump out until the pedal cannot move at all, but theycannot pump the piston out ( if the circlipand the washer in front of it is fitted - but then I remembered that my hilux doesn't have a circlip or a washer so thought I'd better shut up or I may look a fool ( and that gets easier as I get older lol)

non of which explains the slave seal being ripped, or the rod cocking and jamming without the fork moving considerably outside it's normal range

snoopy221, Nov 3, 5:54am
Reality is for your own peace of mind you need to talk to local TRUSTABLE people and find out where to go to get the job done properly.
Touch wood the clutch/gearbox should be okay.
The important thing here is the pedal feel-being heavy with the fork incorrect.

And now lighter.

The original fault with roll pins/tension pins andgear lever not moving things inside the gearbox to change gears-age and mileage and possibly some **rough riding** by previous owner

Mileage is!
Has alternator been done!