Clutch slave cylinder / thrust bearing ceased

Page 3 / 19
intrade, Oct 31, 3:42am
can you recall how mutch free play the clutch had wa it engaging right on top or half way down the new one !

tiggles2, Oct 31, 3:48am
when driving down last the clutch had about 15 - 200mm at the top play before it started to engage - was smooth all the way to the floor.
When arrived I had changed down as you do to 2nd gear parked - clutch in tried to select reverse - stick not wanting to move - let clutch out and it sprung up but with no *umph* if that makes sense and was then just floppy

intrade, Oct 31, 4:02am
strange makes sense are you sure your mesurments are right doyou mean 15-20mm not 200 i guess! be better to tell if it engaged half way down or 3/4 up or down of the overall travel of the clutch pedal!

as if it always engaged almost straight when you push the clutch pedal that would indicate a incorrect travel on the arm on gearbox-slave cilinder.

tiggles2, Oct 31, 4:10am
oops sorry yes 15 - 20 mm not 200mm lol

not very good with measure - so have been out to truck - it engages about 1/4 of the way down and feels like it originally did just a little lighter. It felt heavier if that makes sense between the two jobs.

skin1235, Oct 31, 9:23am
thats a load of pure crap, if the master had quit the slave would not have stayed extended, the pedal would have come up hard and been unable to be pushed again - but it flopped to the floor as you know
and as you already sussed, the master has not be touched, it is working perfectly ( for both the times they had done a test drive as well as right now)
I hate to say it but it appears they have a chauvinistic prick as a service manager, he sees a woman and assumes she will back down to his lies

go to the head manager, or if this is him then go higher ( even ask at the opposition for comment ) and start talking legals - small claims court etc or your personal lawyer, there is at least 1600 outstanding and quite possibly a large part of the first invoice too - spend a 100 with your lawyer and you may get some satisfaction up front

skin1235, Oct 31, 9:23am
thats a load of pure codswallop, if the master had quit the slave would not have stayed extended, the pedal would have come up hard and been unable to be pushed again - but it flopped to the floor as you know
and as you already sussed, the master has not be touched, it is working perfectly ( for both the times they had done a test drive as well as right now)
I hate to say it but it appears they have a chauvinistic p****k as a service manager, he sees a woman and assumes she will back down to his lies

go to the head manager, or if this is him then go higher ( even ask at the opposition for comment ) and start talking legals - small claims court etc or your personal lawyer, there is at least 1600 outstanding and quite possibly a large part of the first invoice too - spend a 100 with your lawyer and you may get some satisfaction up front

skin1235, Oct 31, 9:29am
the slave over extended due to the fork disengaging from it's mounts, and in the over extended position the rod cocked to one side ( again indicative of the fork having moved)
at this time there would be nil pressure to return the slave because the fork supplying the needed pressure was dislodged

huge pressure on that fork pivot, and the slave pressure, they don't slip sideways if they were mounted properly
guess who was in there less than a month earlier and was responsible for seating the fork properly

skin1235, Oct 31, 9:36am
may pay to name the firm too, if it is a bigger franchise they will have ahead office somewhere ie Ford Nz, Wiri, or Dommetts (Rotorua!)

and print this thread off, it may disappear soon, show the lawyer and send copies to head office

bullies can only get away with it if you let them
you are definitely being bullied - this should have been dealt with the first time you rang , not ignored, then delayed again and left undecided til he gets around to it

tiggles2, Oct 31, 10:37am
Have printed off thank you
have thought some more and at the risk of a TM warning and ruffling feathers but in the hope someone else will not find them selves where I am - having the *** taken out of them and being bullied the company is
Parts & Services Ltd and it is the genera manger I have been talking to - gave up with the workshop manager

skin1235, Nov 2, 7:07pm
is this the one in miro st or vauhn rd rot,
they ARE members of MTA, if my info is correct then you should be contacting MTA

from their site
"

Parts & Services has a team of about 20 staff. tractor sales nz

Managing Director Roy Marsdon started the company over 20 years ago, with a team that is mostly intact today.

Neville Steyn
Neville is the General Manager and has been with the firm for several years. He started as Workshop Manager and has gone on from there.

Steve Taylor is the Parts Manager, and he's been with the company since the 2000's.

Neil Roycroft leads the Workshop Team, and like Steve, has been with Parts & Services Ltd for several years. Neil has forgotten more about truck servicing than most young apprentices will ever learn, but is up with the play on modern computerized truck servicing too.

Neville Steyn is handling Agri Sales from Whakatane to Turangi."

they don't appear to be flybynighter's, would think either a major miscommunication or this episode has not been presented to them or maybe us, in full context

tiggles2, Nov 2, 9:05pm
Miro street - spoke to Neil in the first place who dealt with both jobs - as he is workshop manger.
When I questioned him at the front desk about the second he was quite elusive but did drew on the back on the second invoice insisting that the slave was the cause of the bearing seizing.
He then disappeared very fast - busy man
I have since been dealing with Neville (and remember it has been me chasing him up he has not once yet rang me back) who said yesterday that there are inconsistent accounts from the workshop (after I pointing out the master cylinder had not been touched so why mention it !) but he needs to talk to another mechanic in person who was away last week back Monday - this I have agreed to as it is my understanding Neville is bringing all the staff together Monday Morning that worked on my truck to get to the bottom of it
This episode has well been presented to them, using the facts of of events, which are well documented, what knowledge I have learnt from speaking to other heavy vehicle mechanics, peoples opinions and ideas on here that have led me to more research and a better understanding and the wording on their own invoice.
I appreciate and understand they have may well have young trainee's working on the job etc - that is not really my problem. I relied on their knowlege and a bilty to fix my truck in a profeesinal manner
My problem is a job was not done correctly and someone is trying to cover their arse - whether or not Roy knows this story I am unsure - he will Monday
I am not going away and I am not backing down.
So yes possibly a major mis-communication - more like some one stuffed up and is butt covering.
For context - the time line and Kms are correct, how the truck was driving / is driven is correct, where it was parked etc and where it failed - same place - pure fluke or luck, not sure.

snoopy221, Nov 2, 9:10pm
Look i'll SAY/WRITE IT AGAIN.
There can be NO ARGUMENT.
BECAUSE.

If the bull scenario of the clutch HYDRAULICS is true-then the truck LOST DRIVE DUE TO CLUTCH SLIPPING.

Whereas with the naffed up release bearing-allow the slave to overextend the truckcould well have been driven without the clutch-being used to *facilitate easier gear changing*

snoopy221, Nov 2, 9:12pm
As before.

tiggles2, Nov 2, 9:21pm
Sorry snoopy 221 I don't 100% understand - the clutch never slipped in any way shape or form - we were stationary when the clutch went ( well pedal flopped when I went to go from parked to reverse)
I am not being pedantic - just want it known that all data giving on here is giving as best I can with the knowledge I have TIA

snoopy221, Nov 2, 10:01pm
I will try and simplify.
The story they are fobbing you off with is in effect as simple as you driving with your foot CONTINOUSLY on the clutch.
I.E.master cylnder causing slave cylnder pressurisation causing bearing failure.
Reality IS the clutch WOULD have slipped-if their story is true.
When challenged on THAT point there story is INSTANTLY seen to be a lie.

ozz1, Nov 2, 10:38pm
tiggles.what snoopy issaying.is"ifslave cylinder was at fault then clutch should have been slipping"."release bearing and or clutch fork incorrectly fitted".which in my opinion.wouldaccount for heavier clutch feelandsubsequent failure.it would be interesting to know if a newpressure plate hasnow been fitted!good luck in yourdealings.

tiggles2, Nov 2, 11:13pm
Sorry guys - now I fully get it thank you - because the clutch was not slipping but had a heavier clutch feeling - the fault was caused by the release bearing / fork not correctly fitted. Not slave cylinder failure. (or as recently mentioned but not documented the master cylinder)
A new pressure plate was part of the kit paid for in first place - I can't answer if fitted or not
Thank you for the luck - will update when know as big company or not - I am still a customer albeit a small one on the grande scheme of things

snoopy221, Nov 2, 11:26pm
Now as to a release bearing failure with a brand new bearing at 500 kilometres.
The workshop should be dealing with the supplier of the bearing.
Or admiting incorrect instalation of the bearing causing premature wear-and .
I M H O.
Dislocation of the bearing from the carrier causing overtravelling of the slave cylinder and failure.

Good
Mind you i posted that way back it is post 33 in this thread.

Now again read the rest- after all -you are the customer who has PAID FOR THE BEARING.
You OWN the right to KNOW who supplied it and what the supplier is doing about it.

2 points to give you a DAMN big stick to talk to them with.

snoopy221, Nov 2, 11:29pm
Personaly the invoice you mention that a named company employee has written on about the slave cyl bull**-why not take a photo of it and take it back and ask him to sign and date what he wrote.

tiggles2, Nov 2, 11:52pm
Thank you snoopy - am re-reading again and again. I am sorry to sound thick - ask me about horses and no problem - mechanical stuff hmm - I know when the math doesn't work - and the math does not work here.
I will ask for the name of the supplier and what is going to be done re faulty parts if the parts were faulty or was it just poor workmanship.
Bug company or not - we all make mistakes - its owning up to them and fixing them
Good point about invoice drawing.
will try n scan and put on here later

skin1235, Nov 3, 12:20am
you've got 4 or 5 mechanics on here, I don't know all of their work ethics but do know that apart from myself who ran a few of workshops in years past, and DO know trucks and their boxes, ( did my time as a heavy vehicle mechanic and then even more time as a solo fleet mechanic for a dairy company,
I do know snoopy, heis a dam fine mechanic of good standing in years past too
and there are others who who have posted that may be equally qualified to enter a call on the subject of this thread

snoopy221, Nov 3, 12:48am
Yaar skin.
we'll put it in *Horse sense*
An experienced rider like ole skin woulda come out to the call out on the SECOND breakdown and dealt with it as -!What ya need a saddle and a bridle ta ride this!
And being the bare back rider he is he woulda just warmed it up-started it in first and drove it without a clutch.

As to explaining in horse about release bearings installed wrong.

Reckon i'd have to go to Rerewhakaitu and talk to the Churches.

Also as an ex M T A garage having dealt wih the M T A before this one is again as simple as the clutch did NOT slip.

tiggles2, Nov 3, 1:16am
lol :) you guys are awesome - laughing about the horses - & the Rodeo lads ;p
I understand by the way you write you know your stuff and I really do thank you for the time you have taken to explain it to me so I understand - its quite hard when arguing out of your field - that in its self makes me angry because apart from being rude - why do that

jmma, Nov 3, 1:27am
The second time when the pedal went soft, were you able to select any gears!

snoopy221, Nov 3, 1:38am
Yip-*Rodeo boys*
Very well known and highly reputable also.
And Beyond Any Doubt know people in your area in the motor trade.
A diferrent class of people from what you are dealing with.