Cambelt breaking on a Holden Barina 2003

tanzy, Oct 29, 3:37am
Hi, I am just wondering something. My mum has a little Holden Barina. She brought it in 2010 from a dealer and the dealer said the cambelt had just been replaced at 63,000 (it is now at 83,000)in 2010. Its been working fine then last weekend it just stopped with just a little bang my mum said sounded like was coming from the boot of her car. The AA told her it was the Cambelt and was towed to the Holden Servicing place. The Holden services said that the person who done the cambelt had used a second hand cambelt and timing belt and it would cost a bomb to get it investigated as to if there was engine damage. I have only heard stories of when cambelts go they like blow up and start smoking, in this case, in any opinion, because my mums car didnt blow up and smoke what would you think the chances are of the damage it has taken and also would anyone have an opinion on if this should be the responsibility of the dealer to compensate! Especially if there is now engine damage!
Thanks

ceebee2, Oct 29, 3:49am
I have never had a customer describe as you have the "blow n smoke". I guess that the dealer may have been told by the seller this false info (Or did the Dealer do the job) who has passed it on to your mum. It is evident that she did not get the car mechanically checked as a thorough check would have discovered this. History now. You might discuss the issue with the dealer. Did he state at the time of purchase in writing the cam belt had just been replaced or was it verbal. Unfortunately I see this all the time where a lot of cars are bought without any sort of mechanical checks.

Advice from now on in is to get a WRITTEN quote from Holden for all the repairs and shop around bearing in mind their hourly rate will be $120 +. If the valves are bent and sounds like they are it may be more economical to get a second hand engine transplanted (With a new cam belt fitted etc)

zetec, Oct 29, 4:40am
20,000 km is too short an interval for the cam belt to break, if Holden's specified requirements to change the belt and pullys had been followed. The specified interval is 5 years or 50,000 km whichever comes first. I would certainly go back to the dealership as they made the representation to your mother of it having just been changed, Your mother had the right to rely on this and should not have needed to make any further enquiry. It is irrelevant whether the representation was written or spoken although obviously written makes it easier to prove. Mechanical check would not have found the problem, as they don't do any disassembly. Basically your mother, as I assume a private purchaser, has rights under the Consumer Guarantees Act that the vehicle was fit for purpose. It may be reasonable to agree that she contributes two fifths of the cost of a new belt and pulleys/tensioner (but not any repaiir work to engine damage) as she has had 20,000 use of the current belt. If the dealer is not receptive, it would be well worth your while taking an action against the dealership with the Disputes Tribunal. It only costs $50 to do so.

fordkiwi27, Oct 29, 4:41am
how can a mechanical inspection pick up a 2nd hand installed cambelt!

phillip.weston, Oct 29, 4:44am
who would install a second hand timing belt! it would have just been that the original belt was never replaced surely! Definitely go back to that dealer, if the belt was indeed replaced 2 years and 20,000kms is far too short.

treachug, Oct 29, 6:01am
And how can the Holden services person know if a used belt was fitted! Especially if the belt in question has done 20,000kms.
Was probably assuming an aftermarket belt was fitted - not that that makes any difference. I wonder if all the required (additional to the belt)parts were fitted! Two idler pulleys, tensioner & bolt!

mechnificent, Oct 29, 6:14am
Gates technical services has an article warning about shortened belt life if the correct procedure is not followed when fitting belts. I wonder if that is what has happened here. the auto tensioner was not set up correctly!

mechnificent, Oct 29, 6:17am

mechnificent, Oct 29, 6:20am

hi-ling, Oct 29, 7:39am
Those model Barinas have a problem with the water pump bearings failing early. I can bet the dealer that replaced the cambelt never replaced the idlers and the waterpump, and I'd almost guarantee that the pump has failed causing the belt to jump teeth. Result 8 bent valves. Will Cost approx $2000-$2500 from most reputable mechanics and probably nearly double that from Holden.

hi-ling, Oct 29, 7:41am
If you can get the car to Blenheim, I have a guy there who does new valves headgasket, headbolts, timing belt and idlers and waterpump fitted to these for $1200. All genuine parts

lusty9, Oct 30, 12:31am
The service repairman is telling you porky's, get it investigated and go back to dealer who sold your mum the car. Disputes tribunal!

tgray, Oct 30, 3:15am
2010 is almost 3 years ago and is an awfully long time to claim compensation under the CGA, although I guess it all rests on evidence the dealer said it had just been replaced. The salesman might be telling the truth and some responsibility may lie in the person who installed the belt.
No one would have installed a second hand belt. Makes no sense for a number of reasons, one being the belt itself is not expensive.
I'm sure Kaz would be the one to give the best response to this.

tanzy, Oct 30, 8:13pm
Thanks for your replies. Its seems now that the Dealers mechanic who put in the cambelt in the first place has now investigated and said that the reason for the cambelt break was that there is an issue with the engine. That the engine issue has cut the cambelt. The dealer says that the cambelt was not a second hand cambelt or timing belt (have no idea what the difference is) but Holden are still adamant that it is. We have asked for a third opinion for a guy to check out the car. He has said that if he remembers correctly all Holden Barinas around 8 years ago were recalled as they had a problem with the engine resulting in some screws or something being loose which in hand would cause problems with the cambelt. Has anyone else ever heard of this and could this all make sense! Still I don??

intrade, Oct 30, 8:33pm
i think you mean a non original aftermarket cambelt not secoundhand cambelt. that would make more sense. means holdon dont want to be liable for a aftermarket belt that failedpremature as they think there originalgeniuen new one ,would not havefaild. thats what i think might be .

tanzy, Oct 30, 8:45pm
Yes! Thats what the Holden people confirmed to me it was. An Aftermarker belt. What is an Aftermarket belt!

tanzy, Oct 30, 9:36pm
They believe the cambelt broke due to the camshaft hardening has worn off and made it jam up and break the cambelt. They want to test to see if this is a common fault in that particular engine and think it may be a manufacturing error. Thats all good and well but where does this leave my mother and the money we will have to pay!

rpvr, Oct 30, 9:38pm
An aftermarket belt is simply a replacement belt which is not an original maker's part, but manufactured by someone else. The use of aftermarket parts is commonplace for many consumable spares like belts, brake pads, wheel cylinders, etc.

a.woodrow, Oct 31, 5:31am
If this is the case, after three years and 20k odd, your mother will most likely have to wear the costs, she's had fair and reasonable use out of it and you would be hard pushed to prove it wasn't fit for the purpose when sold