Insurance company quoted me for accident

Page 2 / 3
lil1, Sep 17, 7:51pm
Sorry but the person you hit has a contract of repair between themselves and there ins coy not you. The Ins coy under subrogration rights has a common law right of recovery from you. Ins coys are never seen to pay more than they should so the repairs would be signed off as fair and reasonable. You cant force the person you hit to get "another quote(s)" as you dont have a contract with them as such. Otherwise no one would get cars fixed as persons that hit cars would argue about the price - thats why they have insurance.
The only way you will save here is to offer a lower lump sum as a single cash payment or otherwise pay it off.

bopbargains, Sep 17, 8:53pm
You are going to have even less now

slimdog, Sep 17, 9:02pm
Gosh yes. You can say that again.

slimdog, Sep 17, 9:08pm
Thanks. So the cost of repairs are either accepted, or rejected completely, not negotiated or contested!

lookoutas, Sep 17, 9:21pm
What the man sez.
We will never confirm a price without removing a bumper. Usually the hidden damage behind can be quite severe.

Get third party, otherwise I don't care how much it costs.

sr2, Sep 17, 9:25pm
Once again it raises the question, why isn't 3rd party compulsory in NZ!

poppajn, Sep 17, 9:42pm
Tottaly agree, it should be built into the rego cost.

zirconium, Sep 17, 10:02pm
Slimdog, they will have had to replace the bumper. I had that happen on my 97 Honda civic (moulded bumpers as well, but they are huge), and because they are plastic, they do have to replace the whole bumper. It cost a lot more than $2180, Although insurance paid out on it. I think you make a choice when you drive a car without any insurance. :(

slimdog, Sep 18, 12:46am
Thanks for all the messages, maybe I'll just suck it up and pay it. yes, thats what happen when you don't have 3rd party. Wonder how much it would have cost me to insure my vehicles for the last 20 years!

lil1, Sep 18, 1:05am
Yes - 2 parts to this - Under tort of law you are liable. The repairs you need to prove are excessive. The Insurer has decades & experts that can quantify the loss. All you can negotiate on is what you pay - offer a lump sum ( at a lessor amount ) or pay off the full amount ( They dont usally chartge any interest )

lil1, Sep 18, 1:07am
Remember the contract to fix the car is between the person you hit & the insurer not you. Its his legal right to use his insurer without interference. They will go you for the repairs . Fact.

marcos1, Sep 18, 1:08am
No he can't opt for another repairer. It is the insureds right to take their car to whoever they like to be fixed.
slimdog, as a UTP, you have no right at all. Sorry mate , but you will have to suck this one up.lol

mrfxit, Sep 18, 4:59am
Blimin heck that sounds expensive.
A couple of years ago we had the right front quarter just at mid way over the wheel, across to the middle of the front ripped off our 96 Nissan Attessa, by another car cutting across our path
The bill for that was $2600 on insurance (we asked)
Bonnet
Rad support
Grill
Headlight & parklights
Wheel alignment
Right front guard
&
Of course paint & fitting

mrfxit, Sep 18, 5:02am
IF, it was as simple as a good nudge as mentioned, then it should have only been something like $1500 /$1800 at most.
BUT then again. some cars are like females & a good nudge by our standards is = to a thumping by them (& probably from them afterwards as well)

zirconium, Sep 18, 5:13am
:) - If this is the only issue in 20 years then you will have made money on the "deal" :) - I would have too, but i have THE worst luck, and just know the day i cancel the insurance, i'll go out and ram a rolls! :D

marcos1, Sep 18, 7:26am
The poor people will complain that it infringes on their rights to have a choice.

sw20, Sep 18, 7:28am
Hopefully never. I myself have insurance, but don't want to live in a country where we are forced to buy any product.

supernova2, Sep 18, 8:45am
Got a mate you smacked the rf of a ford focus at an intersection.Quoted price to repair $18K.He just laughed at the insurance coy - its been to the DT 3 times now and is now set for a rehearing.Ins assessor - who has never seen the car - "thinks" it was pushed 200mm out of line to the left yet car was driven away from the accident.car was "written off" but our estimates to fully repair are about $6K.Prob as I see it is why should anyone pay more than the "real" cost of repair.If ins coy decides to w off something fixable surely you have the right to dispute the amount they are seeking to recover.As the guily party your only obligation is to make good the damage.

slimdog, Sep 20, 9:34pm
Ok well I've shown the letter to a panelbeater mate, he has said it looks pretty standard and he sees quotes like that every day. And it wasn't "jack and spare" it was "jack and square"! haha! That makes more sense.

rob_man, Sep 20, 9:39pm
Obviously you didn't read post #10.

slimdog, Sep 20, 9:53pm
yeah, looks like I missed that.

a.woodrow, Sep 20, 10:03pm
I have full insurance on one of my cars and third party on the other. third party is about $15 monthly, over 20 years thats $3,600, assuming no price change. Don't you think thats worth paying considering your 9k! accident and now this one!

sr2, Sep 20, 10:08pm
I very much share your distain for endless government legislation that interferes with the day to day life of us Kiwi??

slimdog, Sep 20, 10:13pm
Im not sure what you are getting at, are you trying to teach me a life lesson! Do you think that I have refused to pay insurance on moral grounds or something!

a.woodrow, Sep 20, 10:17pm
Did you notice I quoted you. you were wondering what it would have cost if you had paid insurance all these years. I gave you a $ figure