A boating question

diddi1, Nov 2, 6:36am
Apologies for posting here but I don't know where would be the best place for a maritime query. My son who lives in the States is planning on sending his boat over here for me to sell for him, It's an '06 24ft Maxum bowrider with 350 Mercruiser done about 180 hours in mint condition. Does anyone have a rough idea of its sale price here and if it's worth the exercise of going through the drama to do it!

intrade, Nov 2, 6:39am
unless its unique it wont be worth as you will have to also pay import tax and gst befor you can even try and sell it here.

rob_man, Nov 2, 6:40am
Bring it in and I'll give ya a grand for it.

countrypete, Nov 2, 7:39am
Could well be worth doing, there are a number of people doing this commercially, and seem to be doing OK.To gain an idea of value you would need to know (or have photos) of its appearance, features and what condition and accessories it has.You could then gain an idea of its value by looking at similar boats on Trademe, trade-a-boat, and NZ boating magazines.There are plenty of Maxums in the coutry although most of them seem to be ski boats / wake boats.

cone1, Nov 2, 7:55am
Might want to check on the freight for this boat, the cost will depend if you can get it into a container or not. If it doesn't have a good trailer it will also make it harder to sell.

neville48, Nov 2, 7:55am
keep in mind it has a 350 chevy V8 in it and our petrol is a lot dearer than USA so the popularity may not be the same. I think you have to pay 17.5% duty but not GST on boats, please correct me if I am wrong folks and freight wont be cheap. I was in Kiwi Shipping 2 weeks ago and there were not many boats there to move, only 3 from memory so may not be that good a deal, do the homework well or you may end up keeping it.maybe thats the plan huh, put me on the roster for baiting and gutting, cheers.

mm12345, Nov 2, 8:16am
It won't fit into a 20 foot container - you'd need a 40 footer.
It will suck gas all right, probably find it costs over $500 to fill it up, and you could blow that easily every day of your holiday, twice if you go hard.Be cheaper to leave it in the USA, and put the family on flight over if you wanted a few days boating/water skiing.
The market for boats like this is doomed IMO.

gusthe1, Nov 2, 8:22am
Ok then, I will correct you. GST would be applicable on the value of the boat PLUS the freight and Insurance.

neville48, Nov 2, 8:23am
So no duty then, you dont pay both so gst would be the cheaper of the two ,yea !

neville48, Nov 2, 8:30am
Just looked at Kiwi Shipping web site and boats are 5% duty plus GST AS gusthe1 posted, man that could add up.but keep me on the roster anyway.

wizzbikz, Nov 2, 8:33am
Been doing it for years, Its not easy best of LUCK you will need it.Importing the right product is the Key to makeing money. contact a agent he can help with all the money side of things

jerichord, Nov 2, 6:30pm
be carefull of the overall width in cludeing trailor mud guards, friend got caught out, to wide to pass our regs,

countrypete, Nov 2, 8:01pm
What a load of absolute nonsense!Fuel consumption depends on heaps of factors, and a 26' boat powered by a 350 inboard will probably use less than the equivalent-power outboard.Then unless you know the size of the fuel tank, how can you possibly state that it will cost $500 to fill it up!Besides, it's not the cost of filling, it's the amount USED that is important."you could blow that easily every day of your holiday, twice if you go hard".I think that may depend just a tiny amount, how long you run the engine for - I average less than two hours per trip.A boat like the OP's is not generally used for skiing.You obviously are involved in the marine industry to be able to state "the market for boats like this is doomed" - are you! is that just uninformed comment!

intrade, Nov 2, 8:04pm
i recon its a huge rip that we get charged gst on fraight charges also. so be ultra carfull and do your research befor you spend 1$ even.

intrade, Nov 2, 8:05pm
yea i agree most people have no money they need it to try and buy the overpriced food in this country

rsr72, Nov 2, 9:56pm
#1- Putting aside the questions of freight, duty, etc., you need to look at the question as to whether it's a type of boat that would readily find a market in NZ and suited to NZ conditions.
The country is littered with many USA, in particular, imported boats trying to find buyers without much luck in a flooded market and being discounted.
You're best to go around boat dealers and sound them out as to it's suitability to the market here.

mm12345, Nov 2, 10:30pm
Fuel tank capacity is 70 US gallons = 265 litres.I underestimated.
I wager it will still use 35 l/hour at optimum cruising speed - easily double that towing a skier or gunning it.
If it's not used for towing a skier or two, then it's a waste of time, useless for fishing, can't even make a cup of tea in the thing or get out of the weather.
Made for cruising inland waterways in Florida etc - hopeless for NZ.
This is my opinion, but I bet it's not unique.The market for boats like this is limited - and it's going to get worse.Even in the US, the market had started tanking before the global financial crisis - the Maxum brand has been dumped.
IMO a large outboard is the lesser of two evils, especially with smaller boats than that Maxum.Have had to assist/rescue too many owners of Bayliner type bowrider things when they've been swamped by following seas etc.Nasty useless pieces of sh!t in my opinion.YMMV.To make it worse, that Maxum will weigh well over 2500kg dry on trailer, so towing becomes a real issue.

ljs, Nov 2, 11:01pm
Is there GST payable if you are being "given" it. If not GST will only be on the freight and insurance.

mm12345, Nov 2, 11:02pm
Oops - the spec for that boat indicates it's got an 8'6" beam.Slightly too wide for NZ roads light trailer width limit (2.5 metres), so it's going to be a category 1 oversize vehicle.Can still be towed, but another reason why market will be limited in NZ.

mm12345, Nov 2, 11:21pm
Short answer - yep - you're going to have to pay GST on it's full landed value even if you got it for free.
Long answer: http://www.customs.govt.nz/news/resources/factsheets/Documents/Fact%20Sheet%2015.pdf