WTB Hilux Surf - Advice please

salbern, Nov 2, 6:20pm
Want to buy a hilux surf. I have been told to buy a 3L version. What are the pros and cons of the later model 3L Turbo Diesel Surfs!

intrade, Nov 2, 6:37pm
3L is non turbo its also rear to find. the 3 liter turbo suffers from corrosion problms due to lack of maintainance egr problems and also suffers ulsd seal problems unless you use a diesel additive. If you find one that was looked after and regular diesel additive was used then you can carry on using it .
Personally i would recommend you the 4 pot petrol of that surf they are more reliable cheaper to service and no knowen problems if serviced.
The kz 3 liter diesel also cracks heads and has duelmass flywheel . 3L have solide mass flywheel if i recall right and no turbo means less thermal overloading on the head still need to use diesel additive to prevent problems like winns edt or flashlube on these diesel plus expensive ruc charges cant recall if they are classed as vans the utes are and thats 600$ for 10 tausend ruc abouts

intrade, Nov 2, 6:47pm
Now to the d4d . that is a complet nightmare up untill 2 years ago the hilux was blowing up with diff problems injector problemsengine complet blowout loude noise issue. you name it and all repairs in the tousends. So you dont want to go near with a barge pole one of them later toyota diesel.

salbern, Nov 2, 6:53pm
ok thanks intrade - wouldnt touch them aye!

sanders4, Nov 2, 6:55pm
Oh dear intrade, sounds as though salbern needs a Nissan Terrano instead of a failing Toyota!

salbern, Nov 2, 6:59pm
No did an engine transplant in a terrano. Opened up old engine and looked like somebody had tipped in 20L of shellac. Whole bottom end covered in varnish and oil pick up eventually blocked

intrade, Nov 2, 7:03pm
no he just got t buy the 4 pot petrol hilux dont know what wtb supposed to mean but you want the one with tailgate opening not window down as thats another problem of early 90 surfs the windo winder components on tailaget windows. and no a terrano looks nice and i almost purchased one once but there gearboxes and rust issues put me off.

intrade, Nov 2, 7:04pm
what engine was in terrano! gerabox also changed to only rwd i would guess!

sanders4, Nov 2, 7:09pm
Sounds like someone forgot to do oil change, my 90 turbo has done 300ks with no rust but 2 leaking alternators on original injectors etc.

skully13, Nov 2, 7:23pm
Only buy the petrol V6 if you want to become friends with your local petrol station. Other than that it has been a reliable vehicle. The back window was a $40 and about an hour to repair, so not really that big of a deal.

r15, Nov 2, 8:25pm
intrade hates diesels, especially toyotas.

ive owned a surf, a 3 litre ,1kz variant.

the only common problem you run into with surfs is over heating. which typically only happens when people are towing over a ton or so

the main reason they overheat is blocked radiators, combined with incorrectly set / worn outviscous couplers on the fan which cause the fan not to engage, which cause the engine to get hot which cause them to crack heads.

fortunately because there are plenty of people around who think like intrade- making surf's are really good value truck for your money

i've towed various cars etc on trailers in and out of the gisborne region- (hilly as)

1 more thing and that's if its auto and you plan to tow heavy loads, fit a transmission cooler too.

r15, Nov 2, 8:27pm
tell me more!usually its the navara diff that people hate on

intrade, Nov 2, 8:27pm
i dont hate diesel i fix them every day so i know the problems they got.

intrade, Nov 2, 8:30pm
i dont know about this being wide spread but a guy who had a old ute 2,8 non turbo toyota diesel had no problems only clutch replacment and regular service . then he had to upgrade and he had a diff crap out on him also plus all the other problems think it was the d4d he had upgraded to.