Hilux 4wd, no drive to front wheels

mummy0608, Nov 3, 7:46pm
I just got a LN130 surf and its only getting power to the rear wheels. When i put it in 4wd the dash light comes on in high and low. In 4wd the front diff receives drive but puts out nothing. It has manual hubs and they lock fine. The front diff has a couple of vac lines and wires that go to it, do these engage the diff! any ideas on what the problem could be!

intrade, Nov 3, 7:50pm
under the steering colum is a fuse box one controlls the silanoids for the 4x4 check that i cant recall but i pulled it once out as i needed low range without 4x4 then go from there.
The diff on that engages and disangages the manual hubs you got are non original. cant help you more as my one always worked so i had no need to ever check further how it operatesbut there is forums for these hilux on the net, like repairing the rear windo winder problem i found on the forum once

rob_man, Nov 3, 7:52pm
If there's drive going into the diff and none coming out it's probably a broken axle.

intrade, Nov 3, 7:53pm
no the diff is engaged and disengaged on ln130 i got the same one.

mummy0608, Nov 3, 7:55pm
Thanks intrade will try that

mummy0608, Nov 3, 8:07pm
All fuses are fine, was it a fuse or a relay, next to the fuse box are two relays and what looks like a socket for another

intrade, Nov 3, 8:26pm
the reley will make it go in 2wd whenyou pull it out so hold your finger on it and see if it clicks when you push 4wd on off. if it does you pull and inspect if its not faulty.

mugenb20b, Nov 3, 8:52pm
Check vacuum lines and switches first.

mrfxit, Nov 3, 8:56pm
All that crud just makes me even happier that I own an 88 model Surf.

No computer
No vacuum lines
FULL manual gearbox

bwg11, Nov 3, 8:58pm
It will have Toyoya's "Automatic Disconecting Differential" (ADD), have a look at this.
http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/add.htm

mummy0608, Nov 3, 8:59pm
Relay works, gear box solenoid works when button is pushed but the diff does nothing. Going to check if it is getting electrical signal. Is the diff vacuum operated!

mummy0608, Nov 3, 9:01pm
Haha lucky you mrfxit. thanks bwg11

motorboy2011, Nov 3, 9:09pm
Wonder if the diff has shit itself on a previous owner and they have pulled the gears out!

trader_84, Nov 3, 9:09pm
Gawd! 88'! Were they making them back then!

rob_man, Nov 3, 9:21pm
The one before that is even better, beam front axle.

mummy0608, Nov 3, 10:00pm
Well checked all vacuum and electrics and they all work fine, time to pull the diff out and check the gears

mummy0608, Nov 3, 10:33pm
Pulled the diff and the pinion gear has snaped off and crown wheel is in a bad way. Really surprised it wasn't making any funny noises. Thanks everyone for your ideas

mrfxit, Nov 3, 10:46pm
Beam Better off road yep
IFS for road handling

mrfxit, Nov 3, 10:46pm
Berger .
it's called 'perfect miss-alignment"

rob_man, Nov 3, 10:55pm
Close, I had forgotten about the IFS.

trader_84, Nov 4, 2:29am
Wow! Snapped! I wonder how common that is! I've never heard of it happening before. I've heard/seen/had (lol!) snapped in half CV joint on a KZN130 before . hmmm. Those IFS diff heads in those Surfs . they are a tad smaller or different than the ones from outta the solid axle housings, aye!

mummy0608, Nov 4, 4:59am
I think they are, The truck has 35" tyres on it and has been used and abused off road so the diff has had a hard life

tnt423, Nov 4, 8:53am
They are only a 7.5 inch diff, very weak set up in them.

cone1, Nov 6, 6:59am
The axle shaft on the LH side can break in two where the sliding sleeve engages it into 4wd. You need to remove the LH axle tube and check the axle shaft.