Issues with my Holden.

holdenm4n, Nov 9, 6:06am
got a vs commy, thought i had a flat battery.so got a jump start, Driving down the road and feels like it stuck in 3rd.very sluggish when taking off down the road if thats the word to use.gas needle not reading correctly and won't turn over now.any suggestions on what's happened please, much appreciated. cheers

mugenb20b, Nov 9, 6:13am
OK, when you were driving down the road, were there any warning lights on the dash!

mugenb20b, Nov 9, 6:18am
Also, were you able to select gears manually! Is the battery good! Terminals clean and tight!

outbidyou2, Nov 9, 8:23am
do you have petrol in it

holdenm4n, Nov 9, 9:44am
sorry for the delayed reply.had visitors show up., engine light and battery light were on. didn't try to select gears manually, yes def petrol in it.

holdenm4n, Nov 9, 9:45am
battery terminals were tight and clean

mugenb20b, Nov 9, 10:00am
And, is the serpentine belt intact!

holdenm4n, Nov 9, 10:05am
serpentine belt! I take it that's the main belt.if so yes it is.

mugenb20b, Nov 9, 10:15am
Yes, the drive belt. The next thing I would do is recharge the battery or stick a brand new one in and go from there. Check all your fuses, fusible links and charging system.

greta29, Nov 9, 10:38am
the same thing happend to my vr its was the alternator

steve56467, Nov 9, 10:42am
Sounds like a bad alternator leading to flat battery and poor voltage issues

beast9, Nov 9, 1:22pm
get the alternator checked as a faulty holden alternator can lead to bigger problems like cooked coils due to not enough voltage as my mate soon found out

donz01, Nov 10, 7:57am
I just went through something similar with my VS not starting and Tacho reading 7000rpm plus. Ended up being a faulty earth cable to the engine. Use a jumper cable and run a earth from the battery (-) to any steel part on the main engine block and see if it starts. If it does it means its the earth cable to the motor needs attention.

typhoon666, Nov 10, 9:25pm
Swap out the alternator,sounds like the voltage issues put the trans in limp mode

milo_20, Nov 10, 10:12pm
My boyfriend had the same problem in his vx. After he replaced the voltage regulator everything work as it should. No more battery light nor engine light.

holdenm4n, Nov 11, 6:38am
after charging the battery overnight and putting it back in car.started first pop, took it for a drive and everything running fine.apart from battery light on dash coming on solid then going off occasionally. Thankyou all for your advice, thinking will take it to auto electrician.but like stated here thinking it is the alternator.

andy61, Nov 11, 7:30pm
Put some new brushes in the alternator and your problem should be sorted.

smac, Nov 11, 8:17pm
Or do what the OP is going to do, and find out what the actual problem is.

holdenm4n, Nov 14, 3:01am
all fixed, just replaced the alternator.got a bit stuck with the serpentine belt configuration, but after googling that she's up and running again and no lights coming on.cheers for all the advice!

40wav, Nov 14, 4:36am
The VS has a habit of the small wire coming off the back of the alt deteriorating and causing problems. Hard to notice as its hidden under a little rubber cap. You probably would have noticed if that was bad but might pay to check anyway.

holdenm4n, Nov 14, 5:05am
thanks for that 40wav, did check and all wires look ok.cheers