Would you think a Service @ $400 would include

tommydog, Nov 10, 9:54am
Checking the Spark Plugs!Just wondering or would it include giving you new ones included in that price.!

jmma, Nov 10, 10:28am
What kms service and what make, model!

n1smo_gtir, Nov 10, 12:03pm
You could do majority of these maintenance checks yourself for well under 400 plus the help of YouTube. I've learnt to do just about everything minus engine rebuild and tranny rebuild from YouTube. A set a tools and axle stands go a long way. Sparkplugs a lot easier and less messy than oil change.

msigg, Nov 10, 5:10pm
the modern car only needs a set of plugs every 100,000km,if that thats factory ones anyway. Cheap ones don't last as long or are just no good.

franc123, Nov 10, 5:59pm
Haha, some people have difficulty even finding where the dipstick is on a modern engine let alone being able to remove a plenum chamber and disconnect a lot of plumbing, possess the special sockets needed in some cases to remove them, check the gaps etc, and reassemble it all without problems, which is pretty standard on modern V6 engines for instance. YouTube quickly becomes YouNoob I should have got a pro to do it lol. As for whether $400 includes a plug change, unless its stated, no, especially if platinums or iridiums are involved. You would question why a basic lube and check would cost thst much though.

franc123, Nov 10, 5:59pm
Haha, some people have difficulty even finding where the dipstick is on a modern engine let alone being able to remove a plenum chamber and disconnect a lot of plumbing, possess the special sockets needed in some cases to remove them, check the gaps etc, and reassemble it all without problems, which is pretty standard on modern V6 engines for instance. YouTube quickly becomes YouNoob I should have got a pro to do it lol. As for whether $400 includes a plug change, unless its stated, no, especially if platinums or iridiums are involved. If it was easy to do so one plug could be removed and checked just to look at its general condition. You would question why a basic lube and check would cost thst much though.

v8power, Nov 10, 6:23pm
I liken that statement to the old drivers licence out of a weetbix box. Or should I say "obtained Atech from aweetbix box. You tube does not and will not make you a tradesman and with the technology of todays vehicles it is nothing short of dangerous in many cases.

a.woodrow, Nov 10, 7:33pm
Till you are working on a v6camry, nisssan, mitsi etc that needs the inlet manifold removed to gain access

llortmt, Nov 10, 8:46pm
A woman phoned me last week.
'Hello I'm calling everyone to make sure I'm not ripped off, I've got a set of brake padsand I basically just need them put in the car. I've got a guy who will do it as a perk for $40, What would you charge to put them in!'
Me: '$5.00 including gst'
Her: 'True, you will actually put them in for that, is that each!'
Me: 'No that's $5 for the box, I'd put them on the seat for that if you what them in the glove box that would be extra.'

You don't know what you don't know' so generally people don't know they're stupid.

intrade, Nov 10, 8:57pm
ummmmmmmmmmm

edangus, Nov 10, 8:58pm
I would say a $400.00 service should include checking the spark plugs. But not neccessarily replacing them.

intrade, Nov 10, 9:00pm
we dont know what car . on a dahatsu mira you would expect it to include the plug check. On W8 passat vw you wont be getting plugs looked at for a service of 400$ as that be just a lube change on a W8

pebbles61, Nov 10, 9:02pm
I don't think learning to do home car maintenance gives you the idea that you're a tradesman lol.

mugenb20b, Nov 10, 9:07pm
OP has given us no details, it could be an early 90's Nissan Patrol diesel, with 2 oil filters + fuel and air filter change and who knows what else.

franc123, Nov 10, 9:13pm
And that would need a spark plug change would it! Get your point though.

unbeatabull, Nov 10, 10:39pm
Spark Plug change on a Diesel :P lol

Really need the details of the service. Everything that was done should be on the Invoice from the company.

tommydog, Nov 14, 8:45am
Its a 2006 Ford Escape.Just wondering if they should have checked the spark plugs on a full service.

unbeatabull, Nov 14, 8:54am
No. Inlet manifold etc has to be removed which is at least a 2 hour job

franc123, Nov 14, 9:33am
It would have been easy enough to have checked one of the front plugs, just a case of removing the coil on top of it. Long life plugs can be harder to judge wear just by looking at them however, V6 Escapes only need them done every 90k IIRC.If its done less than this they may not bother.

unbeatabull, Nov 14, 6:20pm
90k is correct interval.

You do get some monkey garages though that only do the front plugs and charge for all 6. We've had quite a few that have had a misfire and the customer says, oh plugs were done recently. Check the front ones, oh yeah they look good . hmm misfire is coming from one of the rear cylinders . pull manifold etc off aha plugs have never been done! Have struck it too many times unfortunately.

trader_84, Nov 14, 7:33pm
Sex . there'd have to be bonk involved if they want that sorta coin. Can't change spark plug unless you disassemble some of the engine pfffft . what pieces of sh1t are they selling now days!

the-lada-dude, Nov 14, 7:33pm
and your quite sure all diesels don't have spark plugs are you !