Newbie: Tips & Hints on buying pop top caravan.

kiwi.wearz, Nov 11, 1:50am
Hi all, I'm thinking of buying a pop top caravan. Probably something light & small but not tiny, maybe like a 2-3 berth!!My vehicle is a 2L 2006 Nissan Serena with a CVT gearbox (hopefully it would be ok to tow a light caravan!!). My price range is around $2000 or under. I'm quite new to this therefore I'm not sure what to look for when buying it privately! Any tips & hints are welcome. I'm happy to do a bit of work on them and don't mind if they don't have 230v power or lights. What is the cost of having one of them! Rego $30 a yr! WOF $35 2x a year! any other hidden cost! What caravan does it need to have a COF or some sort of electrical cert!

matarautrader, Nov 11, 2:22am
I think you are actually talking about a camper trailer such as listing #: 531499939. Same cost per year as a trailer, 2 x WOF, and rego. In your price range they are between 25 and 40 years old and have been well used. Look for problems such as rust on chassis, tyres affected by sun and cracked and ready to pop, obvious water leaks, and condition of canvas. If you are going to be stand alone and not have power or lights they dont need a electrical certificate.

kiwi.wearz, Nov 11, 5:40am
Yes, is exactly what I'm after. What sort of things do they check in WOF for camper trailer! and how often do you need to renew the electrical certificate! thanks.

mrfxit, Nov 11, 7:03am
Pop tops .
Rust & Canvas are the TWO most important things to worry about.
The rest is often cosmetic apart from tyres which is a std consumable item.
Canvas (including zips) alone can be upwards of $2000 to replace

I think the mains electrical warrant is 10 yearly, but won't apply if it's fitted with a 12 volt led/halogen system.

10 yearly gas cert for fitted lpg cookers/fridges etc
Most of those pop tops are on 10" Mini rims, so need to check for rusty rims.
Tyres are available but getting harder every year & more expensive

wellyguynz, Nov 11, 8:13am
Have just brought a similer poptop a few months ago, all depends how much work you want to put into one

also check how easy they are to put up by your self or 2 ppl, Canvas i would not be to concerned about as you can get a brand new one for one of the above for around $800, electrical certs are about $150 but rust is your major issue to look for

busdriverman, Nov 11, 9:06am
I recently paid $50 for an Electrical 240vwoffor our caravan. They last for 4 years.

outbidyou2, Nov 11, 11:15am
shit box jack n box crap topz lol

mrfxit, Nov 11, 7:38pm
Thanks for that update