Astra Vs Vectra do they cam belts & other question

mr_lovebug, Nov 13, 6:07am
Looking at changing car in the next few months,looking at getting one of them,can anyone tell me what the differences are of the two!

Both look to have same body as far as I can tell.

Any thoughts are welcomed & will be taken on board.

mr_lovebug, Nov 13, 6:12am
Okay,having a closer look,looks like the Vectra has a larger body,is thethat true or false!

mugenb20b, Nov 13, 6:16am
Both cars are nice to drive. The Astra is Corolla sized, Vectra is the next size up, like a Camry.

What year Astra or Vectra are you looking at!

The first two generations had cambelts that need replacing every 60 000km. Both cars are nice to drive, but are known to have many issues. Parts can be expensive too.

mugenb20b, Nov 13, 6:17am
True.

chebry, Nov 13, 6:19am
Vectra is a size bigger than the Astra I see dead ones for sale regularly but see lots on the road too should handle better than a Jappa , being a Euro car they are not designed around a 100kmh speed limit like the jappas, belt driven cams, parts should be available used or new early diesels are bullet proof if you get the right one Opel or the Isuzu engine dont know which is best read it somewhere.

mugenb20b, Nov 13, 6:21am
The Isuzu was the better one of the two diesels, but even the slightest overheat will kill them.

mr_lovebug, Nov 13, 6:26am
This is great,thanks guys.

I am trying to move into a 2000 or younger (upto a 2005) Astra.

I like smaller car body size.I do lots ofopen road driving.

mr_lovebug, Nov 13, 6:28am
Listing #: 530478829

Is what I like & am keen on,I can see the radio has a external screen,wonders how hard to change it.

mugenb20b, Nov 13, 6:30am
Take a 2005+ Suzuki Swift and Mazda 2 for a test drive.

mr_lovebug, Nov 13, 6:36am
Would the swift fall in the same $ value, the madza 2 is a touch SMALL for the driving that I do & I rather like the look of Astra more then the Madza 2.

zetec, Nov 13, 6:47am
I would go for a Focus ahead of an Astra. My daughter's Astra needed strut top bushes renewed at 140k $300 per side, then a little later the coil pack went, try $800 for the genuine part from the Holden dealer. the Ignition barrel was getting sticky when she sold it, another tidy sum to fix. That model Astra looks nice but has too many problems. The Focus drives better and in my experience with over 160ks on clock, has had only one problem, a rear wheel bearing $200 to replace, also has 160k or 10 years cam belt change interval

clark20, Nov 13, 6:51am
Well maintained safe reliable car that has had regular servicing.

Work that we have had done consists of cambelt replacement, computer chip replaced, a full engine replacement WHAT! How is that reliable!

mr_lovebug, Nov 13, 6:54am
Zetec, what year was that car of your daughter!

I will have a look at a Ford if they are about the same price.

mr_lovebug, Nov 13, 6:57am
Okay,clark20.

Sounds like you also had a bad Astra too!

Starting to make me wonder about my pick of car to like.

zetec, Nov 13, 7:07am
Hi mr-lovebug, it was a 2001 City auto hatch, well maintained, but too many things were going wrong to have faith in it. Also while we did not have to do the cam belt in the time owned, 60km or 5 years is pretty expensive if keeping a car for a long time. For an NZ new Focus it would be more expensive to buy, around $7k and upward for a 2003/4. You could also look at Corolla, Sentra or Civic, but they too would cost more. Sometimes its better to pay a little more, the market price tends to reflect the likelihood of how much the car will cost in repairs. As with any car, it is important to check body and interior condition, and service records. Good luck.

franc123, Nov 13, 8:53am
Theres nothing wrong with the way Astras drive, but really thats the end of the good bits. Most people sell them because they get too expensive to keep on the road, as you have seen already. Importing your own parts from the UK helps but overall these cars give a well above average amount of problems, and really an unacceptable amount of engine management problems, cam and crank sensors and ECU's dying etc.They aren't fun to live with when old, which seems to be about 7-10 years/150K according to Opel.

treachug, Nov 13, 8:55am
You cannot change the external screen - its built in so to speak & incorporates the outside ambient temp sensor, clock, radio display. I have sold holden parts for a few years now & would recommend the Astra over a Vectra. Sure the Vectras have sensors & other things that are known for failing, the Astras doesnt have the same issue. Both ride & handle nice- take one for a drive. The import Astras from Japan are higher spec'd than the NZ versions & both nz new & jappas have some good features. Far nicer than a boring Corollla.service reguarly & change cambelt every 60thou kms & it will last you well.my pick would be the Astra

mr_lovebug, Nov 13, 11:26pm
I really do like the look of the Astra but the cam belt at only 60,ooo KMS,sucks,that is not good enough in my book.

Would be happy if it was the normal 100,ooo kms,I often do a 30,ooo kms per year & sometimes do 45,ooo kms.

I was hoping to get away from the old cam belts.Now thinks a Nissan might be better for me!
Whats the thoughts on here of a Nissan about the 1800cc range (no less than 1600cc's).

delerium1, Nov 14, 1:52am
what year! up until the latest body shape they were both complete rubbish. Holden doesnt do small cars, they do V8s. Their small cars are rebadged.

mr_lovebug, Nov 15, 1:01am
I am looking at a 2003 Astra.

Now thinking something else might be better.Thanks to all for the input & help with what you all know.