Generic 4wd thread

Page 1 / 2
nickolaz, Nov 15, 8:14pm
I know you guys probably see this thread once a week, but I am looking at buying a 4wd drive, will largely be a daily driver on an open road trip of about 8km, or about 16km return. Also plan on some off road stuff in the weekends for hiking, fishing and a bit of hunting, which is why I want a 4wd, particularly as I need more ground clearance than I have in my Subaru.

Probably going to avoid Hilux Surfs as the are generally more expensive, so currently looking at a few Isuzu's and 95 onwards Terranos.

Currently I am after some feedback on this auction: 533421302

I thought the Isuzu 2.8 engines were supposed to be quite good, however this is a 3.1 (I emailed and asked), but has hada lot of work done already, so I am not sure if that's reassuring or a problem.

Cheers for the feedback, I'll add more after work tonight, but I am also looking at a 95 Terrano with a few more k's on the clock in my area, which currently is not on TM.

mrfxit, Nov 15, 8:44pm
A little more info please

General price range (top/ bottom)
General vehicle body condition (best/ worse)
Color (matters to some ppl)
General pick up location area (how far will you travel to get the right 4wd)
Proper 4x4 or 4wd soft roader (capable mild 4wd driving)
Expected ground clearance height.
Oldest age to look at (depending on condition of course)

mrfxit, Nov 15, 8:44pm
A little more info please

General price range (top/ bottom)
General vehicle body condition (best/ worse)
Color (matters to some ppl)
General pick up location area (how far will you travel to get the right 4wd)
Proper 4x4 or 4wd soft roader (capable mild 4wd driving)
Expected ground clearance height.
Oldest age to look at (depending on condition of course)
Station wagon or double cab /canopy type

mm12345, Nov 15, 9:16pm
Yes - or TD42 engine Safari (preferably not auto for the Nissan - it is their weak point).Terranos of that vintage seem to use just as much fuel (none of these are particularly economical), but the VX or Y60 are IMO a far better off road or towing option.

bwg11, Nov 15, 10:24pm
Fair comment. I did 60,000 kms in a 1991 Terrano some years ago which did 14.5 litre/100kms.

bellky, Nov 15, 10:24pm
Bump for nightloss ;)

bellky, Nov 15, 10:24pm
Bump for nightboss ;)

Sp. edit.

itsbutters, Nov 15, 11:27pm
It may not be an issue for the later model Terranos but check under the back seats for rust or corrosion on the seatbelt mounts. There are a great number of D21 Terranos with this well known issue. Testing stations know about it too so do check, as it can require a floor pan replacement and LVV cert.

http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof/technical-bulletins/inspection-for-corrosion-in-nissan-terrano-and-mistral-rear-floorpan-assemblies

nickolaz, Nov 16, 6:54am
Price range, probably up to 7k. I have to sell my car first which is worth about 5.

Condition of the body isn't a probably, as long as the engine/chassis etc are in good condition.

Colour not an issue

Pick up location will have to be the South Island, the only issue I have with buying too far away is that it is much harder to get the vehicle checked out.

Don't want too much of a soft roader, but at this stage stage don't need a hard out off road vehicle.

Ground height shouldn't be too much of an issue, but 30 cm plus at least.

Age probably 90's depending on model, some like terranos I would prefer slightly newer model but not too phased.

Would prefer station wagon type, firstly because they are cheaper and secondly a bit more roomy forfamily/dog etc.

Don't want something as big as a Safari/Lancruiser etc.

Does anyone have anything to say about that Isuzu wizard!

Thanks again.

nickolaz, Nov 16, 6:57am
Also, thanks the Terrano I have yet tohave a good look at, it was just parked intown with a for sale sign on it. It's a 95, R3m style, guessing it's a 2.7. It's auto and has done around 263 Km's I think, body is a bit rough, but they're only asking around 4k for it. Apart from rust, anything else in particular to look over!

nickolaz, Nov 16, 9:01pm
Hah anyone!

mm12345, Nov 16, 9:29pm
Nobody else replies.I don't know that model well.It should start first crank from stone cold (if it doesn't, the cause could be very minor or very serious or something in-between, and need to be checked). Check for noises in turbo when it spins up, look for leaks on the injector pump (if it looks like it's just been cleaned, then look very very closely after taking it for a good run. Auto trans shift smoothly, overdrive works okay, fluid smells good and is red, no condensation under oil-filler cap, coolant green and clear, no floating scum on it.If all above is okay, then it's probably still worth getting a diesel mechanic to give it a going over, incl. leakdown compression. Vehicles like this can be very expensive to fix if there's a serious issue you missed.

nickolaz, Nov 16, 9:35pm
Thanks. Are you referring to the Teraano or the Isuzu!

xs1100, Nov 16, 9:45pm
personally i would go for the terrano/pathfinder,i have had a petrol one for 12 yrs and its done 320ks now and never been a problem and also those 2.7t dont get the non turbo are pretty bullet proof and there are heaps around the only one to avoid like the plauge is theZD30 they are handgrenades

nickolaz, Nov 17, 5:28am
Alright thanks, I'll have to organise a better look at this local one.

xs1100, Nov 17, 7:16am
Listing #: 534027405this is quite a interesting truck also

xs1100, Nov 17, 8:30pm
Listing #: 532846354
try this then

xs1100, Nov 17, 8:31pm
i know what i would rather have when it comes time for repairs

nickolaz, Nov 18, 12:44am
Cheers, that is more like it,I've seen a few in the South Island worth looking at.

aj254, Nov 18, 12:54am
That one looks a bit pricy, you should be able to pick up a 3.2L diesel one for that price with lower kms. Isuzu and nissan are both generally good vehicles but as someone else said avoid the zd30 nissan and also the 3.0L isuzu's from about '98 to about 2002, there's a reason why they're cheap.

xs1100, Nov 18, 3:45am
its pricey because its nz new and intercooled turbo

mm12345, Nov 18, 10:04pm
That's very similar to mine, '88, mine doesn't have electric windows, and my A/C works fine.I have owned it since '98.
I don't do many km in mine (about 5k/year) and it doesn't have a hard life.My local garage who do WOF for me usually comment on what great condition the old girl is in.But they are getting old.
Over the past couple of years have had to do a few things:
Fix fan blower resistor, replace steering damper, replace front axle/diff seal, rebuild rear calipers, replace steering drag link, patch-weld rust around front body mounts to chassis (they all rust out here- most WOF shops don't know where to look - but some do), fix PS high pressure hose.Probably other stuff I've forgotten.All up cost to do above was only a few hundred $ - if you can do the work yourself, then it's a labour of love to keep them roadworthy.If you can't do this yourself, then they are going to cost $$$ for maintenance - despite being regarded as "bulletproof" if looked after.

bellky, Nov 18, 10:12pm
Yes mm12345.

If you have an old or an older car, and you've owned it for a long time, the cost of ownership is low, even considering substantial repairs as the cost is spread out over time, plus you know what has and hasn't been fixed properly.

nickolaz, Nov 19, 1:41am
Yeah it is, the biggest probelm for me is getting the vehicle checked out, seeing as how I'm in Kaikoura.

simmo, Nov 19, 3:29am
Those are good trucks. Getting a bit old now though.
If you can't find a Terrano you like, look at Mistrals too. They're the same platform with 2.7t engine and transmission but essentially just a different body.
The 2.8 litre Pajeros are also good trucks if you haven't thought of those. Avoid the 2.5's as they are known to crack heads.