Gearbox BMWF650 GS 2002

austin1969, Nov 15, 11:50pm
The wife has a 02 F650GS with 26K on the clock. Runs great, only it somehow slips into neutral when moving up through the gears, usually from 3rd to 4th.
The neutral light does not come on. Sometimes she finds it easy to slip back into gear, other times, she needs to pull in the clutch pull over to the side of the road and down shift to get started again.
Kinda hoping it only requires an adjustment to the clutch cable! I would not expect a major mechanical job with only 26 000kms.
Cheers

mm12345, Nov 16, 1:14am
Doesn't sound like a clutch issue to me - more like something is wrong with the box, The neutral light isn't coming on because it's not in neutral as such, just not engaging the gear. and the reason for that could be any of several things.Check the oil, and that you've got the right grade of oil, change it if it's old.Make sure the gearchange lever is adjusted so that your wife can comfortably up-shift. If it's at the wrong angle, perhaps she's not flicking the lever positively enough.If that doesn't work, next stop is a BMW bike shop.

mm12345, Nov 16, 1:14am
Doesn't sound like a clutch issue to me - more like something is wrong with the box, The neutral light isn't coming on because it's not in neutral as such, just not engaging the gear, and the reason for that could be any of several things.Check the oil, and that you've got the right grade of oil, change it if it's old.Make sure the gearchange lever is adjusted so that your wife can comfortably up-shift. If it's at the wrong angle - too high, perhaps she's not flicking the lever positively enough.If that doesn't work, next stop is a BMW bike shop.

desmodave, Nov 16, 6:48am
Something has come a drift somewhere i suspect . Have you had any1 check it out.

ducatiss, Nov 16, 9:25am
I wouldn't expect that either in one of those at that millage. Those engine units should do well over 100,000.I would stop using it until the fault is found as you dont want a broken bit of circlip or such like going through your gear box.