Tool Advice. Help =)

Page 2 / 3
wind.turbine, Nov 17, 8:39am
bunnings is not great
I go with power built as it has life time warranty

tool_shop173, Nov 17, 9:07am
Why would they want to buy that! They would be better off with a metric/imperial socket set than old whitworth etc.

chris_051, Nov 17, 10:19am
Sockets and extensions, koken
Ratchets, snap on
Screw drivers, snap on
Pliers etc, knipex.
All the other stuff is cheap enough to buy at repco etc. I buy all my snap on gear off their website cut out the middle man, NZD to usd is good enough to do it.

strobo, Nov 17, 4:04pm
Koken /sk wayne/ Jonnesway/Sidchrome/Motor guard/ Sykes & Pickavant (sp)German Elora / King Tony /King chrome to name a few , Snap On are over priced & over rated .power built are all show & no Go , Repco not much better ,just their competitive pricing .

strobo, Nov 17, 4:04pm
Koken /sk wayne/ Jonnesway/Sidchrome/Motor Guard (off the market !)/ Sykes & Pickavant (sp)German Elora / King Tony /King chrome to name a few , Snap On are over priced & over rated .power built are all show & no Go , Repco not much better ,just their competitive pricing .
Buy from anywhere/anyonethat carry quality brands

gmphil, Nov 17, 10:17pm
Think they called metricks probly spelled wrong special sockets that undo slightly roundednuts bloody handy ive set ring spanners wish had the sockets too

tea_97, Nov 17, 10:30pm
Wow, thanks everyone for the responses! I'll go have a look at these brands. Reason I ask is because at repco, i can get the trade discount, and at bunnings, I can get a slightly bigger discount. But thanks everyone for their replies!

daryl14, Nov 17, 10:38pm
Well There you go, Discount is what it all comes down to. Ask the guys in the Bunnings tool shop. They will steer you right.

trader_84, Nov 17, 11:36pm
You sound like a good chic! Have you considered buying him a lathe! I bet he'd love one.

splinter67, Nov 17, 11:52pm
trying to sell it already trader didnt it fit in ya shed

incar., Nov 18, 8:15am
there are better tools for that kind of money, Koken for example

howie69, Nov 18, 8:18am
I think Stanley now own Sidchrome and they Stanley and Calibre tools are made in the same factory (in China) but of different metal/finish quality

splinter67, Nov 18, 8:31pm
cool where can I get a koken set for the same money as sidcrome let me know Im off to buy some

bellky, Nov 18, 8:52pm
They've got some in Timbuktu; see ya.

splinter67, Nov 18, 9:52pm
real helpful bellend but thats usual for you

mrfxit, Nov 18, 10:05pm
By the statement, "Not a mechanic" I presume you mean "not qualified/certified"!

Have a dig in his tool box's, spot whats clearly been well used but is still looking in good condition, NOTE the brands of each of those good tools.
Note whats looking shiny brand new but with bad wear marks & AVOID those brands
Thats a good start.

Most of us older mechanics learned the hard way by buying a stack of cheap tools/ busting a few & THEN replacing those with better brands & or styles.
I still have some well used tools from 40 years ago that still get used here & others that don't get much use at all.
Some of the cheap tools have been repaired by me & are NOWvery reliable & suitable for the work intended.

Most importantly . there is NO BRAND thats perfect for every job or totally reliable.

Some of it is HOW it fits in the users hand
Some is the shape
Some is the weight
Some of it is compensated by price/ job at hand & or modifiable

mrfxit, Nov 18, 10:08pm
Theres probably in excess of 20+ brands in my main carry tool box & thats just the small box ( 15cm x 30cm x 15cm approx).
Each has it's job & does it well.

tea_97, Nov 19, 2:00am
Thanks guys so much, I went to repco yesterday and bought a toolbox that comes filled with tools. The ones with multiple draws, that sit on top of the big push trolley.

The guys in the shop said they would last and be ok for what I wanted them for, but they're paid to say that right! lol.

I guess we will just have to wait and see how they go, if they last, they last. If not, then we will look into some more.

splinter67, Nov 19, 2:07am
Good on yaHe will be the flashest streetstocker there good luck with the champs would love to come down to see it but thats a busy time for us

tea_97, Nov 19, 3:02am
Thanks! Hopefully have a wee advantage being at our home track, his dad built him a new car this season, and its flying so far, so fingers crossed =)

lookoutas, Nov 19, 4:47am
"You need bottling"
No need to cook him Xmas dinner, coz he'll be outside playing with them all day.

lookoutas, Nov 19, 6:11am
Just a little digression re buying parts cheaper overseas. And a plug for TM.

I've got a car ready for shipping in LA, so I've ordered a number of parts, whilst they can be chucked in the boot for free.

We were after a Shrinker/Stretcher tool, so I went on-line and found one close to Mainfreight to minimize courier costs.
The price was $225US. Convert to NZ $'s, add freight, payment fees, and the chance that Customs could jump on it as not being car parts, The final cost would well be into the thick end of $300NZ.

I almost gave it the green flag until I searched on TM and found the exact same tool, which I won at $190 + $12.83 freight.

One particular item I brought was a couple of bucks dearer than I'd paid for the same item here 5 months ago. But I was doing an order that hadn't been fulfilled here, so it would've cost me that extra to get the one item.
I didn't order a set of plug leads coz they weren't really cheaper - and they only had black ones.

jason18, Nov 19, 6:15am
hahah

incar., Nov 19, 8:31am

splinter67, Nov 19, 7:59pm
Thanks that is cheap for a koken set but you can get sidcrome cheaper and I dont need a user guide I think my trade cert tells me how to use them there is quite a few on here that wouldn't know what a ratchet is