Tool Advice. Help =)

Page 1 / 3
tea_97, Nov 17, 1:28am
I need advice on tools. What ones are better quality orlikely to last longer, tools from say repco/supercheap, or tools from bunnings.

Any help is appreciated.
=)

kazbanz, Nov 17, 1:33am
sorry tea its not that simple. Some stuff from either choice is ok and some is utter rubbish.
If you choose a well known brand you are safer when it comes to quality.

tea_97, Nov 17, 1:34am
Oh sweet, Can you give me some well known brands that are good! Im buying tools for my partners birthday, and I wana do it without talking to him lol.

kazbanz, Nov 17, 1:42am
Tell us about your partner. Are they a mechanic or a home workshop person. Do they work on cars or motorbikes.
What tools do they already have
On that basis I'd be happy to make some suggestions.

mugenb20b, Nov 17, 1:47am
The best brands: Snap On / Blue Point, Stahlwille, Facom, Knipex, Mac, Elora, Klein, and some others I can't think of .

Good quality: Repco, Kincrome, Sidchrome, Powerbuilt, Teng, King Tony, Genius, etc.

tea_97, Nov 17, 1:51am
Speedway, has a streetstock, so needs a good tool supply lol. Not a mechanic, but is a do it yourself guy. Works on cars. Got basics, but wants a good socket set, and a good spanner set. Anything that he needs, maybe even a new grinder if he needs it.

tea_97, Nov 17, 1:51am
Thanks so much for that. Will have a look at these brands.

bellky, Nov 17, 1:53am
Let him choose his own tools.

You pay.

That will provide the best outcome.

tea_97, Nov 17, 1:55am
But then there is no suprise for him.

bellky, Nov 17, 1:57am
The surprise is the declaration that you will do this for him.

gunhand, Nov 17, 2:12am
Voucher, there great things. But to get a good socket set, ring spanners and a good grinder it will have to be a reasonable value.And if your ging to Reco etc, wait for the sale price. And even better if you have a mate in the trade get them to get them at trade prices.
Supercheap have some good socket sets on sale at mo as well. Some you get free 2nd set as well.Shop wise.
Don't buy a generic tool set as half the stuff you don't use.

daryl14, Nov 17, 2:23am
I Think the handiest tools I ever bought were my hex shape (six point, not 12) tube (long) sockets.

Then again a grinder would be very cool if he's not got one.

Right now I'm wishing I had a grunty high torque drill.

splinter67, Nov 17, 2:25am
Go buy him a half inch drive sidcrome socet set he will love you for everfrom a speedway person

intrade, Nov 17, 2:26am
what is he going to do with the tools! fix cars motorbikes. or what exactly!

splinter67, Nov 17, 2:58am
ummmm read post 6 and ya might get an idea and no he dosent want any flashlube

saki, Nov 17, 3:57am
Socket sets, 1/2 drive, 3/8 drive 1/4 drive, single hex ,multi hex, deep sockets, where does it end.

mugenb20b, Nov 17, 4:02am
Most mechanics have all of the ones you've mentioned, as well as E, torx, allen, spline and many other drive sockets. I've seen techs that have $10 000 worth of sockets alone.crazy.

bellky, Nov 17, 4:04am
There's heaps of tools on here OP.

mugenb20b, Nov 17, 4:08am
Yeah.there's a couple I know of myself.

saki, Nov 17, 4:12am
That is only a small corner of my tool box usual measuring gear,bore micrometers etc electical test gear, bore scope compression testers, stand, lifter etc Im a boilerman so the W/W gear is best left at work, all tools accumulated over a period of about 35-40 years.

splinter67, Nov 17, 4:18am
read post 6 he has a streetstock and he isnt a mechanic

kazbanz, Nov 17, 4:49am
OP a blokes took set is kinda like a gals jewellery.No matter how many tools and gadgets you've got always you will want more.
If your man doesn't have much in the way of tools there is/was a good set available from Super cheap which is middle of the road quality and covers off most of the basics in the way of sockets and spanners.
Its a Stanley set. I bought one for my 16 year oild at christmas and he's used it a lot for general car/bike work

mugenb20b, Nov 17, 5:46am
I was replying to post 16, not OP.

desmodave, Nov 17, 6:49am
Stop self promoting bellky your not the tool they want .

intrade, Nov 17, 7:11am
na them crown teeth sockets are rubbish i hate them rounding your bolt heads. Secoundhand i would only buy stahlwille snapon tools.
New grinder id get a makita got me one few years ago for 145$