The kaimai spring water pipe

leonard57, Nov 17, 4:29am
aka the motorists oasis has gone!.anyone know why it was fitted and left for years and then suddenly removed!.pretty sure the rest of the water coming out the side of the hill is just as clean/clear and filtered though,so what was the reason for the pipe initially

the-lada-dude, Nov 17, 4:39am
to top up the radiator of my ford 10 popular flat head, thats a long climb on either side !

rob_man, Nov 17, 5:28am
Yeah, there used to be quite a group of vehicles cooling off there sometimes. The restaurant/tearooms may have been responsible for the pipe, what was it called! something to do with being on top of a hiil.

grangies, Nov 17, 5:44am
Not on the Kaimais.

There was never a restaurant there.

kevymtnz, Nov 17, 6:13am
there were tearooms at the top about 200m east of the spring

grangies, Nov 17, 6:17am
Oh !

It must have been many years ago then.

rob_man, Nov 17, 6:22am
You're such a callow youth.

kevymtnz, Nov 17, 6:36am
all i can remeber is the name Stephens owned the Kaimai Tea Rooms
and there were photos on the net a few years ago but i cant find any link to the building

purple666, Nov 17, 6:41am
A TipTop sign and some concrete steps remained there for many years after the tea rooms were pulled down.

xs1100, Nov 17, 7:18am
so what happened to the pipe,i always wanted some of that water was told it was the best for homebrew

gammelvind, Nov 17, 10:58am
I used to have an ice cream there when I was a kid.

the-lada-dude, Nov 17, 6:29pm
now it appears to have disappearedyou sure this is'nt some sort of pipe dream !

grangies, Nov 17, 7:35pm
Well, I have learned something new and stand corrected, LOL.

It must have been a lovely spot in the summer, as it's always a few degrees cooler up the top there, compared to Mt Maunganui/Papamoa etc.

stevo2, Nov 18, 7:48am
It was there about 2 years ago when I stopped. In fact I thought it was still there

rob_man, Nov 18, 7:58am
Are you sure! The whole area has been altered and I think the lay-by on that side of the road has gone.

kevymtnz, Nov 18, 8:03am
gee what r u on can i have some

stevo2, Nov 18, 5:11pm
Im talking about the spring pipe, not the cafe'

intrade, Nov 18, 8:37pm
so the pipe might be there just more offroad now.!
doc has info and google about this spring.

rsr72, Nov 18, 10:05pm
x1
There y'are, the bloody breweries stopped it.

stephens, Oct 21, 8:30am
Interesting reading the above comments. My parents owned the Kaimai Tearooms in the 50's/60's and were the Stephens mentioned above. It was a great stop for truckies and a rest.