25th drink drive conviction & no jail

tgray, Nov 18, 6:55am
NZ Herald today.
Does anybody really think the 25th conviction will change his ways!
This is a fatality looking for a victim.

grangies, Nov 18, 7:01am
This is New Zealand.

Where National and Labour have weakened our laws and justice system, to the point that we have this kind of ridiculous travesty

Keep on voting National and Labour and it will only get worse.

tnt423, Nov 18, 7:03am
Does he still have his license! worked with a couple of guys that had 9 and 14 convictions, should be a permanent ban from driving after 3.

berg, Nov 18, 7:08am
He's indef disqualified. Scumbag should have his arms removed. Pretty bloody hard to drive then.

net_oz, Nov 18, 7:42am
A bullet is the only thing that fixes those people. Take their licence away and they still drive. Gotta remember tho that there is a big difference between being intoxicated and over the limit.

tgray, Nov 18, 7:52am
Do people really think having a disqualified licence stops people driving!
What is the average 'punishment' for DUI! Its about $300-500 fine and 6 months disqualification.
In real terms, they cant/won't pay the fine and they carry on driving.
In this case, the difference between a 25th and a 26th conviction is negligible - means nothing, so nothing changes and they carry on.

tgray, Nov 18, 7:55am
In Arizona, the 1st drink drive conviction gets you 24 hours mandatory jail (might not sound much, but if picked up at 2am, you certainly don't go home to your family the next day or go to work). Unless it's changed from the 90's, the 2nd conviction gets you 7 days mandatory jail. 25 convictions without jail time is simply ridiculous and makes a mockery of the law.

sw20, Nov 18, 5:51pm
I must be a cheap date because I tried a breathalyser before I even thought about driving because I felt too pissed to drive. I was under.

New Zealands drink drive limit is very, very liberal. If you get pinged over the limit, you are pissed.

curlcrown, Nov 18, 7:55pm
I can't ubderstand how anyone can get breathilised that many times let alone convicted. They must drive like idiots all the time. I've only been pulled over by a cop 3 times in almost 20 years.

dave653, Nov 18, 7:58pm
A mate has been warned about his 6th charge. off to jail next time! Another bloke I know IS in jail, not sure how many d/d charges but no where near 25!
Obviously slow learners.

lyingnun, Nov 18, 8:03pm
It is shocking. One conviction is too many. These selfish morons need to be jailed. Too much consideration is given to the offenders and how a prison sentence might disrupt their lives and little consideration is given to other road users.
My hope is that if they do go on to kill/maim somebody, it is the loved one of a judge.

poppajn, Nov 18, 8:08pm
My neighbour,s in doing 6 month,s for his 7th.

fiatracer, Nov 18, 8:30pm
so, let's all STOP considering judges to be pillars of society. They're the ones who impose sentencing.

patiki1, Nov 19, 3:49am
Your neighbour must have killed someone

splinter67, Nov 19, 4:11am
was it judge Hole that put him away his daughter was killed by a drunk driver he is a nasty man for dic

chook90, Nov 19, 8:03am
The OP does not shock me in the least.
I know of people who have got jail (in the last year) for 3rd drink driving (no driving while disqualified) yet others seem to meander through life clocking up one conviction after another with seemingly no penalty.

There comes a point though that public safety has to be considered as the priority and 25th time is a tragedy looking for a place to happen.

Jail at least protects the public but then again surely legislation provides for him to be banned from owning a vehilce. Let's be honest here, there is as much chance of this clown ruining someones life as there is a peodophile doing the same so smack him with an extended supervision order, attach a bracelet and apply conditions of his inclusion in society that can control him - he obviously has no ability or desire to control himself.

xs1100, Nov 19, 8:39am
knew a guy years ago who was getting up there and had countless driving while disqualified.he didnt stop and the courts just kept dishing out same sort of sentance