Knock in the engine.

Page 2 / 2
skyblue17, Nov 19, 3:17am
Filthy rich but 'can't afford to sort it out'. Maybe he means time-wise.

mechnificent, Nov 19, 3:23am
If they can tell the noise is coming from the front of the motor, then it isn't pinking. and they will know it!

patiki1, Nov 19, 3:42am
Sounds like the seller has taken it to a mechanic and the mechanic has said"Get rid of it"

petermcg, Nov 19, 3:59am
What about water pump bearing, loose harmonic balancer, power steer pully etc.

splinter67, Nov 19, 4:07am
yup could be one of those things impossible to tell without looking at the car

springchicken6, Nov 19, 8:42am
omg I only though parenting bickered like this!

mechnificent, Nov 19, 10:27am
Yeah, nah, we got jerks in here as well.

springchicken6, Nov 19, 7:41pm
Thats for all the advise anyway guys. I've said to partner not getting it unless we take it to a mechanic ourselves which means flying to auckland

springchicken6, Nov 20, 12:49am
they have put up more details.
Could you pretty please have a look again :D

mechnificent, Nov 20, 1:12am
I saw that. The fact they say the noise is coming from the front of the motor tells me that it's not the "pinking" they say it sounds like. The noise must be there when they have it running and the bonnet up. So it's quite a bad noise.
Then, the fuel pressure code. that is not connected to the noise unless the noise is something that can be caused by low vacuum in the motor. which will be some mechanical problem. broken rings, crook valve or lifter.
And, they have had it to the mechanc and are selling it cheap. which will be on his recommendation I'll bet. If it was fixable at a reasonable price they would probably do it and sell it at full price. I'm picking that they are trying for as much as they can get for it before it costs them a lot of money.

And finally, to diagnose it we would have to discuss it with the owner and get them to do various checks and things for us. it would take their cooperation. which I don't think we are going to get.

springchicken6, Nov 20, 6:10am
na not worth it shall walk away.
This car buying stuff sucks

splinter67, Nov 20, 6:36am
yup try looking at things that don't need major $ spent on them if they are going for cheap there is usually got something wrong with them

splinter67, Nov 20, 7:03am
No sorry but wouldn't you be better to buy something a bit closer to home or try millers car sales he seem to be an alright sort of a guy and if he sold you a lemon he would get a lot of crap on here

springchicken6, Nov 20, 7:03am
don't mind flying to auck for the right car.
miller car sales! is that on here!

splinter67, Nov 20, 7:05am
yes not sure of his trading name someone will tell you