Car accident?

Page 1 / 3
black.ap5, Nov 19, 6:21am
If you are in an accident by law you have to stop right! what happens if the person you hit doesnt stop! and you still recieve a letter in the mail about it does that mean im still liable !

bitsy_boffin, Nov 19, 6:24am
Yes you are of course still liable for the damage done to their vehicle if you hit them.

BUT if they didn't stop, then actually ascertaining what damage was done might be harder.

black.ap5, Nov 19, 6:26am
you have to legally stop by law though

itsbutters, Nov 19, 6:27am

bitsy_boffin, Nov 19, 6:29am
Whether the victim of your misdeed has to stop or not doesn't matter.

What you are suggesting is no different to "the person I hit didn't have a current rego so I shouldn't be liable", which incidentally is complete and utter nonsense.

Just because the person you hit may or may not have not complied with some part of law, does not mean that you get to walk away without rectifying the damage you did.

msigg, Nov 19, 6:32am
Well your not allowed to speed either. so what. If its a none injury accident then it won't matter.Who said they didn,t stop, you,they said no he didn't stop. This not stopping had nothing to do with the accident. They could say they thought they were in danger because you were angry. As above determining the damage and covering your self is where I'd be looking at.

black.ap5, Nov 19, 6:36am
why would i be angry i hit them did you underSTANDthat part. if sombody hit me then i would definatly be stopping mate.

itsbutters, Nov 19, 6:38am
If the police were informed that they didn't stop, could they get a fine out of it! Perhaps the driver at the time was unlicensed or drunk! These are the sort of things that need to be established at the point of accident.
If they could be penalised/fined, I would be suggesting they work with you and not with an insurance company to sort this out cheaply for both of you.

*edit* Dig your heels in a bit. If it's not cut and dry that it's your fault (like you rolled through a stop sign) then think it's a fair argument that the person at fault wasn't established at the time, and now that time has passed.

black.ap5, Nov 19, 6:45am
well i was prepared to stop and was shocked when they didnt because i was in a lot of shock myself even though there was no damage to my car and couldnt see any on theres as they didnt move for around 10sec later It wasnt with speed or anything.

itsbutters, Nov 19, 6:48am
It's all a bit rich by the sound of it. How can you even dispute the damage if they took off without you seeing it! Get some real legal advice. Did they send you the letter or an insurance company!

black.ap5, Nov 19, 6:51am
there insurance company did. there isno infomation on the accident itself just that i need to contact my own insurance about it. I dont have a clue what the damage is it was all over within 1min

itsbutters, Nov 19, 6:56am
There it is. Talk to your insurance company about exactly what happened. They're experts at worming out of claims so just leave it to them.

raymond00001, Nov 19, 7:01am
I had someone do a runner on me after hitting my trailer. followed them to their workplace, remnided them about the red light they ran and exchanged details. Told boss what happened, come into work that night and other person changed their story tried to blame me. bit of brick wall then on, cops involved. In the end cop dropped whole case as our stories differed so much and no injury. Most minor accident ever but most drama afterwards ever!

black.ap5, Nov 19, 7:03am
ok. There is a slight chance that they could do me for any thing to do with damage to there vehicle!especially since i have no idea what the damage even is!

bitsy_boffin, Nov 19, 7:07am
I'll assume that you are not insured, otherwise you'd have already just sent this to your insurer.

Therefore, you need to contact them, or their insurer and ascertain exactly what damage they are claiming.

You don't dispute that you hit them, and it sounds like you accept it was your fault, so all you can dispute is what damage you caused, until you know what they claim you did, you can't know if it is reasonable.

black.ap5, Nov 19, 7:08am
I was completely willing to stop and sort it out but they took off so its strange that they didnt stop especially since i hit him and not the other way around

flitt, Nov 19, 7:11am
Harsh for you it may seem, but you appear to be asking and not listening. I think post number five is the answer to your angle of questioning.

black.ap5, Nov 19, 7:11am
I am insured the problem is that i dont know what damage i have even doneweather its a sratch or dent at the most thats how light the hit was i did stop abit futher up the road but never saw them

black.ap5, Nov 19, 7:12am
this is what this site is for flitt (61 ).

a.woodrow, Nov 19, 7:15am
Just tell your insurance what has happened, this is what you pay your premiums for, to let their lawyers sort it out. Trust me, if they can worm you out of it they will

flitt, Nov 19, 7:15am
This site is for asking and not listening!

lookoutas, Nov 19, 7:50am
You hit them, they drove off - tell them to go fly a kite.
You had no opportunity to assess what damage you did. They could have backed into a pole since, and expect you/your insurance to pay for that.

Just tell your Insurance Co what happened, but you don't know what damage you caused, because of the above. They won't wanta pay if you can't ascertain the damage.

But there's another side.
If that was my daughter you hit, and you are a big ugly critter, I wouldn't expect her to hang around either!

supernova2, Nov 19, 8:19am
If they didnt stop how did they get your details!

msigg, Nov 19, 8:29am
rego plate for details.

flitt, Nov 19, 8:30am
Lots of bravado here - not many facts. No offence intended.