Gps can they detect speed camera in police cars ?

Page 1 / 3
james63, Nov 20, 10:42am
I notice my GPS goes beep beep and shows a picture of a black camera . wondering if this works for all speed cameras or just some !

esprit, Nov 20, 10:44am
Only fixed locations of known cameras. can't detect mobile ones.

ralphdog1, Nov 20, 10:44am
The fixed ones on poles only

winnie54, Nov 20, 11:02am
My garmin picked up a mobile one the other day on the way back from Wellington. Wondered what the message was because I was in the middle of nowhere then up ahead hidden between 2 trees was a police car with a mobile camera.

trade4us2, Nov 20, 12:17pm
My Tom Tom goes beep beep when I'm going past a camera in one directon but not when I'm going the other way. Why would that be!

flitt, Nov 20, 5:37pm
I don't see how that is possible.

carlz05, Nov 20, 6:16pm
They are a GPS not a radar detector. Fixed pole camera are detected by a GPS because they don't move, and the GPS map companies have identified where they are and have marked them on a map.

noswalg, Nov 20, 6:55pm
pure coincedence, end of!

intrade, Nov 20, 7:35pm
thats is because the cop was hiding in the bush there once before and some smart person has upladed thelocation on to garminstreet map-camara and you got it with the new mapupdate.
it will also warn you if the cop is not there now.

splinter67, Nov 20, 8:20pm
Police cars do not have mobile cameras in them

noswalg, Nov 20, 8:22pm
This was a marked police car with a camera!

noswalg, Nov 20, 8:23pm
my thoughts exactly

james63, Nov 21, 2:55am
thanks for this info . my first day of buying a new car I got nabbed for going over the speed limit . I was rather shocked as Im considered to be a slow driver and more likely to get picked up for going too slow. I will be using my gps more often to ensure I keep to the correct speed

martin11, Nov 21, 2:58am
They quite often are seen with a hand held laser being operated from them . Lasers are mobile !

martin11, Nov 21, 3:00am
Do not rely on the gps ,many are not very accurate for speed detection ,specially the cheaper ones from places like Repco

splinter67, Nov 21, 3:05am
Whats the difference between a camera and a laser ummm one takes your photo and they send you a ticketthe other one measures your speed then the police man pulls you up

martin11, Nov 21, 3:12am
Some of the latest lasers also take the picture with the plate number and speed on the photo very clearly able to be seen

splinter67, Nov 21, 3:23am
Ok just for you a laser is not a speed camera its a laser. Speed cameras are either mounted on a pole commonly known as fixed speed cameras those ones are the ones that your GPS tells you are there. The other type are mounted in vans called mobile speed cameras which your GPS will not pick up. As for lasers taking photos I don't know I try and stay away from them by listening to my very expensive radar detector. Where do they have these flash lasers I think them being able to take a picture is a great idea it will stop all the moaners saying it wasn't me

delerium1, Nov 21, 3:24am
not in patrol cars, some speed cameras may operate off laser, but not the hand held units that are in use here.

flitt, Nov 21, 4:24am
For the NZP: The hand held units are not radar. They are not a camera either. They are a laser.

flitt, Nov 21, 4:53am
The only possible explanation for #1's incident as they explained is intrade's answer at #9.

In rural type places I suppose that would be quite a handy feature for the speeding motorist. However, in the big smoke I imagine if they uploaded everybody's 'I saw a speed trap here' locations, there'd be endless beeping emitting from people's GPS nearly everywhere they went.

flitt, Nov 21, 4:53am
The only possible explanation for #1's incident as they explained is intrade's answer at #9.

In rural type places I suppose that would be quite a handy feature for the speeding motorist. However, in the big smoke I imagine if they uploaded everybody's 'I saw a speed trap here' locations, there'd be endless beeping emitting from people's GPS nearly everywhere they went.

edit: I mean that winnie reply, not #1

footplate1, Nov 21, 5:00am
I have a Tomtom and they alert to fixed tax camera sites.The trouble is, Tomtom is not up to date and miss relocated sites and alert to former sites.

There is a means of telling Tomtom but stopping to provide latitude and longitude information is time consuming.

My Valentine still works with tax cameras and mobile Plods.

gammelvind, Nov 21, 7:20am
Pssst!Just FYI, there is a really cool modern device in your new car, it's called a speedometer, just use that.

saxman99, Nov 21, 8:11am
Yes, I suppose we could, if it was accurate.