Gps can they detect speed camera in police cars ?

Page 2 / 3
les6, Nov 21, 6:11pm
well explain this.my tom tom always alerts me to a speed camera as i leave my place just down the road near a prison!There is no mobile or fixed speed camera there but I suspect the prison has some sort of surveilence camera there!

studio1, Nov 21, 8:34pm
The Police have rolled out new 'Transport Safety' vehicles. Generally vans, people-mover style and size, with fixed cameras in the back. Like the plain clothes speed detection vans but with circus writing all over them.
Apparently they have a couple with ANPR (automatic number plate recognition) in them as well, which they are trialling around the country.

skiff1, Nov 21, 9:20pm
but they're not cameras.

flitt, Nov 21, 9:24pm
So, you think your TomTom has some sort of 'camera detecting device'. Does it go off every time you pass a petrol station, dairy, bunch of tourists!

les6, Nov 22, 4:13am
no,just when I pass this spot not far from the prison!I assume there is some sort of surveilence device there but thought they only had the fixed cameras at the corresponding gps locations!I asked you to explain!

saxman99, Nov 22, 4:17am
Your TomTom thinks there's a Camera there because someone told it there was.

gunhand, Nov 22, 4:40am
Do you have one of those old cars where the needle sways backward and forward over a 30mph span! I remember old valients and some yank tanks doing that. Think old British stuff does it too.
Can't say in 30 years of driving speedo inaccuracy has ever seen me pulled over or get a speed camara fine.

martin11, Nov 22, 6:35pm
According to one of the Highway patrol members they do have some on trial in nz

smac, Nov 22, 8:16pm
Police in Palmerston North have used camera combined with laser for years on Main Street by the cemetery.

kcf, Nov 22, 8:48pm
a GPS can "detect" a speed camera in the same way a toaster can detect cats.

Not at all.

splinter67, Nov 22, 8:54pm
Have you had a ticket from it or are you talking about the speed advisory sign

smac, Nov 22, 8:55pm
No, no ticket. I'm talking about driving past and watching them do it. One cop with hand held laser, another next to them with a camcorder.

splinter67, Nov 22, 8:57pm
that would be a training video maybe but its not a speed camera thats what we are discussing here

smac, Nov 22, 9:03pm
I realise it's not a "speed camera". However there was discussion above about hand helds. If you think it irrelevant, ignore.

splinter67, Nov 22, 9:07pm
that was someone saying that they thought that the hand held laser actually could take a picture as well as be a laser Which would be a great idea that way there would be no doubt about it

n1smo_gtir, Nov 23, 8:31am
catching dead people speeding out of the cemetry in their ghost cars!

lpggas, Dec 8, 3:31am
Actually GPS can tell the user where speed cameras may be .top line Tom Tom ones have the ability to log the position when you pass a speed camera . This then gets updated on there maps & warns future travellers past that spot .not much in use urban areas but would be good in country areas as the camera operators tend to use the same locations . I could tell you just about every mobile camera location between Wellington & taupe

splinter67, Dec 8, 5:05am
So really they cant all they do is go beep beep where some clown has logged one pretty much a waste of time unless your 2 minutes behind them you realise that mobile means they move around and park where they feel not just in specific spots

lpggas, Dec 8, 5:11pm
Read my original post where I said pretty much useless in urban area but useful in open road country areas where the mobile tax offices are creatures of habit and frequent the same places .I drive SH1Wellington to taupo twice a week and know the top ten spots where you can almost guarantee you will see a camera in at least one of them every trip . I know that because I drive the roadso often but less frequent travelers would not know that
& for the record I don't have a detector or GPS but do drive with my eyes open & concentrating on what's around me as I drive

n1smo_gtir, Dec 8, 6:47pm
does the speedo on your new car not work properly!

splinter67, Dec 8, 7:06pm
so if you dont have a gps how do you know that it works!

lpggas, Dec 8, 7:19pm
ever heard of google . Its this new age idea where you can research things from the comfort of your own house

splinter67, Dec 8, 7:27pm
As an ex truck driver Ive seen cameras parked all over the show if ya gps went beep beep at every spot cameras park it would be constantly going off I suggest to you that you should buy or borrow a gps and try it there are too many on this board who use google try using your own experience oh that's right you don't own a gps so you don't know

lpggas, Dec 8, 7:38pm
You obviously dont read properly . I travel wellington to Taupo twice a week & can tell you that there are only a dozen or so spots where they reqularly sit . Yes i have seen them in other places but only very occassionally
& using google to go to the manufacturers website is generally considered to be a source of pretty realiable information . I dont need a GPS to tell me where cameras sit as i drive with my eyes open

chebry, Dec 8, 7:39pm
No they cant OK