BMW 320 -- AUDI A4 ----------- SUBAURU B4

toysky, Nov 21, 12:13am
Looking at getting one of the above, must be Auto .
Which will give reliabiliy , economy and a bit of fun to drive. I,m a middle age not boy racer.looking at up to 10k!

Cheers

toysky, Nov 21, 12:13am
Could add a Merc to it I guess. same size

intrade, Nov 21, 12:56am
you want another 4 grand for emerganzy and servicing running cost

intrade, Nov 21, 12:57am
also 10 grand is bortherline for finding good stuff you shure wont find anything good in a hurry. I waited 4 years befor i found what i wanted for the money i could pay.

fiatracer, Nov 21, 1:04am
I'd go for the BMW, but really would go for a 328, or maybe a 325. The 320 auto isn't much fun.

unbeatabull, Nov 21, 1:43am
What year/model range!

I'd look at the '02 or later Audi first, then the BMW . and never the Subaru.

jason18, Nov 21, 1:47am
Never get the auto subaru. They are known for the autos slipping from oil getting on the clutch packs. Had a mate have it happen to his GTB

unbeatabull, Nov 21, 1:53am
The clutch packs are suppose to be submerged in trans fluid . they slip when they don't have any fluid on them.

fiatracer, Nov 21, 2:11am
the BMW would have to be an E36, and 4k would get you an ok one but the key is to ensure it has [or budget for] had the necessary servicing done - water pump, thermo, hoses and radiator tanks if suspect. NZ new preferable for sure. The E36 is a great car [bad experiences are usually due to poorly serviced cars, dubious imports etc] with known issues that can be avoided. The interiors are of only average durability though which is a shame. For 4k you *might* just squeeze into an E46 - a much better car overall but at that price it would be a very average to poor example.

elect70, Nov 21, 2:30am
1`0 kwould get you agood E46BMW 323or328evenE36 s going for 4 -5g these days320in auto is bittooslow. Parts & servicing isno dearer than any other car . The A4 audi is nicebit more luxury inside than BM .Prefgetcar withFSH & NZ new .

fiatracer, Nov 21, 2:34am
oh whoops, i thought budget was 4k. Yep, 10k takes you well beyond the E36s. Same applies re- servicing, but also get someone familiar with these cars to check out window regulators and suspension bushes. and the aforementioned cooling system components. I'd seek a 323 [2.5 litre 6] or bigger engined model,maybe even a 330, with leather, NZ new.

trogedon, Nov 21, 2:38am
You forgot Toyota. Toyotas are nice cars.

vtecintegra, Nov 21, 5:42am
That's the nicest thing I've ever heard anyway say about the E36 interior.

To be fair the later cars were a lot better though

00quattro00, Nov 21, 6:01am
10k would get you an Audi s4, 2.7 twin turbo v6 (285kw) and have a huge tuning potential, standard a4's are too gutless

trogedon, Nov 21, 8:09pm
Standar A4s are fine. Possibly not a as a track car but the op is talking real world.

fiatracer, Nov 21, 9:27pm
going on personal experience. my only E36 was a final year NZ new 328ci M Sport, manual. now a BMW open class race car i believe. anyway, it had red leather interior and was totally fine. but yes, the earlier E36s interiors could, um, explode