Is there a cheaper place to get a tyre fitted?

Page 1 / 2
greenwing, Nov 21, 11:35pm
I took my car to Herb Morgan Tyres in Onehunga the other day and got them to fit replacement tyres on 2 wheels - I supplied the tyres. They fitted new tubeless valves which is their standard procedure, and balanced the wheels. Charge was $25 for each wheel which I thought was rather high or am I out of touch. I've got the same exercise to do on the other 2 wheels, is there a cheaper place around Central Auckland!.

NZTools, Nov 21, 11:41pm
You are out of touch. That is a fair price.

mopsy3, Nov 22, 12:06am
Interested to know how much you think it should be OP!

unbeatabull, Nov 22, 12:10am
Pretty fair price. To balance up, replace valves etc, you're looking at a safe 15 mins per wheel which lines up with the standard charge out rate for labour these days ($100/hour - 15 mins = $25)

purple666, Nov 22, 12:12am
1s 6p

darryl, Nov 22, 12:31am
Are you serious!

trdbzr, Nov 22, 1:17am
Last place I got it done charged me $15 per tyre for fitting and balancing, and I had supplied the tyres. Just give a few places a call and ask for quotes.

poppajn, Nov 22, 2:11am
If you bought the tyres off them; fitting and balanceing would havebeen included in the price; so$50.00 for useing them sounds fair.

kazbanz, Nov 22, 2:14am
Yep op--Buy yourself a set of good tyre irons and rig up a static balancer yourself. Much cheaper than paying someone who has building rent,machinery,staff etc to pay

splinter67, Nov 22, 2:20am
Stevos in Napier did my last one for free only a 2 man operation his service is why people use him open seven days as well

dr.doolittle, Nov 22, 2:24am
Yeah take them to Napier.

carstauranga001, Nov 22, 2:42am
So you waltzed in with your own tyre (like OP) and he fitted it for nothing! Not even a 6 pack! Or are you meaning he sold you a tyre and included fitting in the price!

carstauranga001, Nov 22, 2:43am
Put them on splinters courier for free too.

splinter67, Nov 22, 2:49am
No six pack have brought tyres off him before service what a lot of you important people in auckland have forgotten about hell ya might get more customers if you give them service just like the old days

splinter67, Nov 22, 2:50am
Dont do that anymore

dr.doolittle, Nov 22, 2:53am
I'd rather charge more & do less, but thanks for the advice anyway.

carstauranga001, Nov 22, 2:55am
You're lazy though.

dr.doolittle, Nov 22, 2:55am
I actually went to Herb Morgan's today. I drove past 3 maybe 4 other tyre shops to get there.
What does that tell ya!

dr.doolittle, Nov 22, 2:56am
Aint that the truth!

elect70, Nov 22, 2:56am
Like a cheapskate iknowgets his Mrs todrive to all the different supermarkets justto get cheaper price on 1 or 2 items .Probaby uses more fueltraveling than saves on thefewitems .

splinter67, Nov 22, 2:56am
And thats whats wrong with NZ

floscey, Nov 22, 3:09am
iraq

waikatoboy, Nov 22, 3:14am
Bring them down here only a 2 hour drive my son will fit them for $20.

dr.doolittle, Nov 22, 3:19am
You're right. Not enough people charge more & doing less.

mrfxit, Nov 22, 3:50am
Tonys Tyres charge me $5each ON & Off

So if I supply a bare tyre to go on my current wheel, that will be $10 per wheel.
Fitting only,
Balancing is a lot dearer there & thats where all tyre shops catch you.