VE commodore - what things to check out?

spongefrisk, Nov 22, 9:00pm
Hi I am considering the purchase of a VE commodore. Either an SV6 or a V6 Calais probably a 2007 model. The kms will be more than 100k given budget. I will only be considering something that has a decent service history.

So given the year and kms what sort of things should I be checking out!
What sort of things am I likely to be up for in the near future! Cost!

Thanks.

unbeatabull, Nov 22, 9:02pm
The usual stuff - Service history, B/F Coolant changes, if over 100k making sure things like the Diff and Trans have been checked etc.

Check all electricals work, windows, heater, etc etc, no broken switches, that kind of stuff. No oil leaks, worn susp components, no knocking or rattling when driving, car drives straight, no brake shudder etc.

curlcrown, Nov 22, 9:03pm
Early ones had cam chain issues but that was sorted out fairly quickly. I think a 2007 will be OK but do some research into it.

bjmh, Nov 22, 9:05pm
good cars .calais will probably have dual aircon controls .one for the driver and one for the pms .always a good option

trdbzr, Nov 22, 10:59pm
+1 but I think it was fixed from 2008 onwards when they moved towards using 9mm chains rather than 7mm ones.

theram1, Nov 22, 11:32pm
check the dog and lemon, 5 recalls, 3 for fuel line leaks, 1 rear seat belt may detach. Reliability, DodgyOverall rating is OK, the same as my 1983 Toyota Corona, I am an Holden fan but why not look at a Camry, excellent reliability Overall rating excellent. However if it's Holden you want a Holden you will get. Goodluck wish I could afford a nice car.

martin11, Nov 22, 11:34pm
Disposal costs for it !

chris_051, Nov 23, 12:04am
Who in their right mind quotes the dog an lemon guide. the Camry like all new Toyotas (Land Cruisers excluded) is a snooze fest in every way, the only reason why they sell is because of fleet sales and old men over 70 who are preparing themselves for a coffin, couldn;t have picked a better car for it.

splinter67, Nov 23, 1:03am
Is this from first hand knowledge or you quoting something youve heard in the pub I know a few people that can drive not around town but on the open road that would tell you your talking out your arse but what would they know they only drive them

chris_051, Nov 23, 1:12am
Lol are you sticking up for camrys now aye your credability just dropped out of your arse not that it could go any lower, had a few Camrys as rentals along with Corollas and Rav4s the 3 most boring things on the road I always request an XR6 or SV6 when getting a rental now. Work has 2 V8 70 series and 3 4.2 turbos the only Toyota I'd buy.

splinter67, Nov 23, 1:21am
So that tells me you cant drive a front wheel drive can I suggest some driving lessons anyone that thinks landcruiser and handles well go together in a sentence has problems

phillip.weston, Nov 23, 1:33am
Camry is no competition for Commodore or Falcon in my mind. Yes it can probably do 99% of the job a Falcodore can, but there's no comparing the chassis dynamics of a well sorted RWD car (and the Falcon excels in this) to a mediocre FWD vehicle.

The new new Camrys are nice (didn't think i would ever say that about a Camry.) but both the 2001-2006 and 2006-2011 shapes are just lagging behind and rely entirely on wearing a Toyota badge.

theram1, Nov 23, 2:29am
Sooorrryyy! Are you having a bad day. If a car has 3 recalls for petrol leaks and 1 for LPG leaks I would be worried. No matter how much I love Holdens I would not want to be cremated in one. I was not quoting sales but reliability. Chill brother, chill.

bellky, Nov 23, 2:43am
Can't believe how full of it you are - what do you do just make up any crap! chris_051 didn't say that.

gman35, Nov 23, 2:58am
If only the great looking Aussie cars had build quality of Toyota (OK maybe not the recalls mind you) I would have one , although still can't see why sedans are so popular , too impracticlecompared to hatch/wagons.

chebry, Nov 23, 3:00am
Landcruisers are rollover legends, the WW2 jeep probably has a better kill ratio though .

monaro17, Nov 23, 3:01am
yes definitely check cam chains!- I am currently in the process of finding out whether my 06 Commodore needs a new cam chain- stupid intermittent engine light

clark20, Nov 23, 5:26am
OK, here it is from my own experience.

Check for noisy cam chain, esp when cold
Check air con pump for noise
Drive at 100-120km/h and listen for diff noise
Check front suspension, some needed new bushes, drive and check for knocks.
Check fan intake for heater and check its not fill of water (under bonnet by firewall) cause leaks inside
read www.justcommodores.com.au

Check Radiator inlet (take off pipe) and check, they just break off
Make sure screen and radio work correctly
Check it has been serviced by Holden and computer updates have been done.

spongefrisk, Nov 23, 9:27pm
Cheers thanks for the advice everyone.